News   Apr 24, 2024
 938     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 613     0 

miWay Transit

September 2 service changes released:

http://www7.mississauga.ca/Documents/TW/miway/servicechange/20130902/miTRANSIT_Sept2013.pdf

If tl;dr:
- new Sunday service for 16A Malton Loop (30 minute frequency)
- 20 Rathburn extended to Erindale GO station (all frequencies increased by 1 to 2 minutes!)
- 82 Financial replaced by 108 Meadowvale Business Express (15 minute AM frequency, 20-30 minute PM frequency)
- new weekday midday service for 109 Meadowvale Express (22 minute frequency)

Happy to see 109 getting midday service before the BRT opens.

108 having better frequency at AM rush and more trips overall is a vast improvement over the 82.

20's Sunday service actually increases from 40 to 34 minutes. Thought that it would be 33 to coordinate with 26's dismal Sunday service.

Sunday service for only 16A? Oh well, 16's Saturday service ends at noon anyway (when 16A begins service).

It is also a great service change, like Brampton's.

I wouldn't call it great, but MT rolls out major improvements gradually until March, instead of all at once. So this is merely the beginning. Plus the transitway won't be open until October.

I am surprised at how busy the 109 is. I saw it yesterday afternoon and there were a lot of people using it. Maybe the transitway will be more useful than people think.

If they ever implement 24 hour service for the 107, that would justify the transitway right there. 24/7 rapid transit to the airport is something the TTC will probably never have.

Fare increase Jan 2014 (and May 2014 for post seconadry students):

http://www7.mississauga.ca/documents/agendas/committees/budget/BC_Agenda_September_18_2013.pdf

I think it's dumb that they are removing post-secondary students from the student category and eventually making them pay adult fares.

That 14 years of fare increase for what?

First the student weekly pass was phase out and now the adult with only 1 place for MT to load your Presto card outside GO station or on line.

All the great service increase schedule for this month has been pushed back 6 months.

Sorry, but time post-secondary pay full price or close to it.

Once again the city talks one thing well doing something different to get people to use transit with the car folks getting a free ride. All talk and no action.

They mention a transit only ramp from Eglinton to the 427--how useful is this ramp? Does it actually improve service? When was this built?

They mention a transit only ramp from Eglinton to the 427--how useful is this ramp? Does it actually improve service? When was this built?

Completed in the last few weeks. It helps a bit for routes 35 and 109, which no longer have to turn around on Eglinton, go up Renforth, then wait to get on the (usually clogged) ramp to the 427. It's not a huge gain in terms of time saved, but it does make a difference in rush hour.

Finally two way service along the Collegeway. But otherwise I can't say I like the new configuration of Dundas.

The route for 101 is too convoluted. Wouldn't it have made more sense for 101/101A to bypass UTM and have 1/1C serve UTM? Or alternatively have 1C and 101A serve UTM and Collegeway, and 1 and 101 stay on Dundas and bypass UTM?

The all-day 101 now serving South Common and peak-only 101A not service South Common. That means Dundas west of Erin Mills still only has the main route 1, and off-peak frequency reduced from 20 minutes to 28 minutes. That's brutal. Sucks for those transferring from Winston Churchill and Ridgeway/Vega Loop.

The new 52 and 55 loops, combined with the improved frequencies for 5 and 51 north of Britannia, make connections easier north of Britannia. Transfers are a lot easier now for routes 15, 42, 57 and Brampton route 18. But at the same time they have seriously weakened a major connection for routes 36 and 45...

The all-day 101 now serving South Common and peak-only 101A not service South Common. That means Dundas west of Erin Mills still only has the main route 1, and off-peak frequency reduced from 20 minutes to 28 minutes. That's brutal. Sucks for those transferring from Winston Churchill and Ridgeway/Vega Loop.

Yikes. I remember a couple years back when they first opened the 101 express i could go all the way to Trafalgar! that was truly regional rapid service, and its was incredible. Completely insane that after a somewhat understandable cutback to Vega, they would cut back even further... transit desert in WCB area anyone?

Note the 45 Winston Churchill does not connect to the 26 Burnhamthorpe either. It connects to the 35 Eglinton, but the 35 does not operate on Sundays. Between Derry and Lakeshore, the only major east-west route that the 45 connects to the 1 Dundas. Now the 1 is seeing reduced service with no substitute. That is terrible connections for a major north-south route.

I thought the original 101 serving Oakville and UTM made sense. Too bad Oakville Transit is so crappy, no one uses it.

Now there's no service to Oakville and it's just UTM and the UTM detour is annoying. The new 101 is even more convoluted, following the alignment of the current 201, but with the addition of a UTM detour as well... and now you also have an awkward situation where the 101 has better frequencies during the off-peak (14 minutes) than it does during the peak (20 minutes).

If they just keep midday frequencies of 1 and 1C at 20 minutes each, and reduce the 101 to approximately 20 minutes, then the 1C alone should be enough for UTM and the 101's frequencies would remain stable throughout the day. 101 should follow the alignment of 1; 101A should follow the alignment of 1C. Having 2/3 or 3/4 of Dundas buses serve UTM is just way overkill. That's more service to UTM than even the 110. It's ridiculous.

And yet somehow the 44 Mississauga Road still languishes with 33 minute off peak service. In my experience, the 44 is as crowded as the 1C, if not more crowded. The 44 regularly experiences closed doors during the midday. The midday frequency needs to be increased to 24 minutes. With 24 minute headways the 44 would take more pressure off the 1C as well (the 44 also serves Dundas).

Last edited:
And yet somehow the 44 Mississauga Road still languishes with 33 minute off peak service. In my experience, the 44 is as crowded as the 1C, if not more crowded. The 44 regularly experiences closed doors during the midday. The midday frequency needs to be increased to 24 minutes. With 24 minute headways the 44 would take more pressure off the 1C as well (the 44 also serves Dundas).

24 minutes? Why not simply make it an easy to remember 20 minutes? I don't get Mississauga Transit's love for lousy non-clockface schedules.

24 minutes? Why not simply make it an easy to remember 20 minutes? I don't get Mississauga Transit's love for lousy non-clockface schedules.

20 minutes would require MT to add two more buses instead of just one. The running time for the 44 for a round trip is 99 minutes. So 3 buses is 33 minutes, 4 buses is 25 minutes, and 5 buses is 20 minutes. 5 buses would require more moneys than 4 buses.

So yeah, it would be 25 minutes, not 24 minutes, my bad. 20 minute frequency would be on the same level as Dixie. A bit excessive, don't you think? Although 44 is crowded, riders mostly just go to UTM, so it is not efficient.

What I don't get is your obsession with clockface schedules. The 44 is a route that relies almost exclusively on transfers from other routes, especially at Eglinton and Britannia. That's the way Mississauga Transit is, people transfer from one route to another. What difference would it make if people can easily memorize the schedule for 44 or not? Higher frequency makes a difference, not clockface schedule.

Plus, the timetables for 44 are already posted at UTM and all the major transfer points, except Britannia. If it is so important just post the timetable at Britannia too, problem solved.

Criticizing Mississauga Transit for having non-clockface schedules is hypocritical too, considering the TTC.

Weekday midday frequency:

9 Bellamy - 22 min
14 Glencairn - 24 min
15 Evans - 22.5 min
20 Cliffside - 17.5 min
22 Coxwell - 8 min
36A Finch West - 9 min
36B Finch West - 9 min
37 Islington - 14 min
37A Islington - 14 min
38 Highland Creek - 12.2 min
38A Highland Creek - 12.2 min
39D Finch East - 5.75 min

Need I say more?

When you get below 10 minutes, clockface schedules aren't important unless you have multiple branches.

Ideally route schedules should follow this: 60 minutes (not really acceptable for urban transit, but for rural, intercity, exurban, new suburban and special services, it works), 30 minutes (which should be a minimum base service), 20 minutes, 15 minutes, 12 minutes and 10 minutes; below 10 minutes, it doesn't matter.

Throwing examples from the TTC doesn't make your argument stronger. It just tells me the TTC should try to improve its schedules, especially on a route like Bellamy or Glencairn. But least every example you cite is better than the 33 minute service the 44 currently has!

Last edited:
Yes, TTC generally provides more service than Mississauga. And yes, the higher the frequency, the less the clockface schedule matters. Which is part of why I suggested they added more service. I never suggested they keep it at 33 minutes.

No way should the 44 have 20 minute off-peak service though. 25 minutes is good enough. Adding a single bus off-peak would already cost MT hundreds of thousands dollars annually as is, and there are other routes that could use improved off-peak frequencies too. So it's not just about 44.

You may say non-clockface schedule are only acceptable under 10 minutes, but I think Mississauga transit's ridership compared to the rest of the 905 speaks for itself. But it's not like Mississauga is the only system that has schedules like that. Brampton has a lot of non-clockface schedules too, and the ridership has grown like crazy.

Back