Toronto Ripley's Aquarium of Canada | 13.11m | 2s | Ripley Entertainment | B+H

At night, morning, and dusk the skyline is way more impressive and nicer from the island now. I agree however that at the height of the afternoon all the generic new condo buildings blend together into one big blob now that isn't very attractive from certain angles.

P.S. on the topic of the Aquarium all of my family has been there but me. They all love it. I may have a bit of a more critical eye however as I will be comparing it to about a dozen other aquariums in the world I have already experienced

I know several folks who have went ... most have been to the large ones in North America ... comments are all very similar ... quite a bit better then expected ... but small (too small).

Dec 31
Lot more up on site
11701032864_201294ff05_b.jpg

11701215226_bba01874fa_b.jpg

11701053504_2a34d63376_b.jpg

11700653765_ccf4a7d0a3_b.jpg

11701082264_b78334d136_b.jpg

11700963233_5b6487589b_b.jpg

11701478516_e417b648f9_b.jpg

11701478516_e417b648f9_b.jpg

Two of my friends took their kids there over the holidays, all enjoyed it but left wanting more. One was there first thing in the morning before the doors opened (no crowds, he recommends that as the time to go) and the opposite experience of my other friend, they went sometime mid-day'ish and said the crowds were a nightmare. So, 1) hopefully an expansion will/can be considered in time to come and 2) Ripley's appears to be a roaring success. I can't wait to see this for myself, I have to work out a morning in late January or February.
I don't follow the transit thread very closely, thinking of major attractions I hope the Sheppard LRT goes out to the Metro Zoo, it really needs a direct rapid transit connection, sort of like how the Ontario Science Centre will have.

There isn't enough demand for it, sadly. an express bus from the new STC subway stop would probably work best really. The problem with the zoo is that is is so far out of the way, unlike the science centre which is right on Eglnton. the Zoo entrance is about 1.5km from Sheppard, with no stops other than the zoo for that length. That would be a roughly $80-$100 million cost to build, for something that is only used seasonally and does nothing to really relieve congestion. the money is better spent elsewhere.

Last edited:
I just went today and it was great! The only two complaints I have is that 1) it was WAY too crowded. it seemed like the layout design did not anticipate huge crowds like the one there was today. 2) the cafeteria, while the food was surprisingly good, there where literally 10 tables. Me and my family had to sit on the ground and eat, nearly getting run over several times, I was almost hit by a crazy toddler, and my dad's diet Pepsi was actually brown colored carbonated water. They seemed to be struggling to keep up with demand, because they were out of most of the already limited food choices they had to offer. Otherwise, the exhibits were quite impressive, I quite enjoyed the sharks in particular:)

Does anyone know if certain days/times are less busy than others? I'm planning on going near the end of the month.

Does anyone know if certain days/times are less busy than others? I'm planning on going near the end of the month.

I still haven't been, although this was one of the buildings and attractions that I was most excited to see open last year. I'm waiting until the winter blues kick in. Judging by the last few weeks it's going to be a horribly cold and dreary winter, so I'm thinking that I will be going sooner rather than later :p I have to see those jellyfish!

The busiest days are weekends and holidays between 11 and 5. Avoid that and you should be okay!

That's the best advice. Went. For a season pass; I've been there 6 times since opening weekend. Taking advantage of my son's free admission before he turns 3. More enjoyable experience with less people crowding around smaller exhibits.

I welcome the good reviews but I have to say I was severely underwhelmed. I've been to the Oceanarium in Lisbon and the Monterey Bay Aquarium in California so perhaps I was spoiled but I find that aquariums with a research focus work so much better for entertainment than an aquarium designed for entertainment.

To me, Ripley's just seemed so very kitschy and already outdated. Also, the focus on sharks got me expecting scary looking great whites and so the little ones that are actually there were a bit of a let down. I know that kids will enjoy it and it'll become a great class trip tradition for children growing up in Toronto but my eagerness to get a membership there quickly vanished on my first (and likely last) trip to Ripley's Aquarium of Canada.

the focus on sharks got me expecting scary looking great whites and so the little ones that are actually there were a bit of a let down.

If they kept great whites in a tank, I wouldn't give them a damn cent. That would be even more ridiculous than those aquariums that house large whales - places that won't ever get a dollar from me. As it is now, I can justify going there because there wasn't exactly anything that was too big for its tank. Even if you gave a great white/orca/dolphin/beluga a 30x30km enclosure it would be cruel.

Our aquarium is small, especially compared with those around the world. But it is very obvious that it is designed with children in mind. Purely entertainment. In summary, I don't think we have anything that is comparable with the world's best, with the exception of the CN Tower.

We have a high quality of life though, something I am proud of.

Our aquarium is small, especially compared with those around the world. But it is very obvious that it is designed with children in mind. Purely entertainment. In summary, I don't think we have anything that is comparable with the world's best, with the exception of the CN Tower.

We have a high quality of life though, something I am proud of.

I don't think that we need to have the world's best buildings and/or attractions. I think living in the best city of the world's best country is enough.

Back