Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Ramako:

Really? That's complete news to me - do you have a source?

Just asking since the reason they went for the lighter tone was a spat between Vancouver planning and Peter Wall over the colour of the glazing as proposed vs. as built, with the two tone being a compromise (since half of the glazing was already applied)

AoD

one_wall_centre_with_crown34.jpg

More pics here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=6228288&postcount=145

More details: http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2013/02/one-wall-centre-to-receive-new-glass-facade/

Why is there this insistence that we need to have a building utterly finished before we can judge its' aesthetics? We can tell 1 St. Thomas would look good, Four Seasons would look good, L Tower would look good and Uptown would look terrible way before any of them is actually complete.

AoD

There's also the fact that we keep hearing that defence over and over, and it keeps being proven false over and over.

"Oh, it'll look good once the podium is open."
Nope.
"Oh, it'll look good once the retail is in place."
Nope.
"Oh, it'll look good once it reaches the first setback."
Nope.
"Oh, it'll look good once the balcony cladding is on."
Nope.
"Oh, it'll look good once they get to the curtainwall section."
Nope.

And now, "Oh, it'll look good once it's topped out." Any predictions how that'll work out, based on past performance?

At this point, defenses of this turd sound less like an aesthetic stance and more like Stockholm syndrome.

One of them is NOT FINISHED YET!!!

you've said this 800 times--we know it's not finished.

its ironic that you keep insisting that a building this poorly, cheaply and incompetently finished needs to be uh, 'finished' for you to judge it.

the 'finished' project will mean 78 floors of the same cheap finishes now adorning the 60-odd floors that are there already. its only going to get worse, not better.

There's also the fact that we keep hearing that defence over and over, and it keeps being proven false over and over.

"Oh, it'll look good once the podium is open."
Nope.
"Oh, it'll look good once the retail is in place."
Nope.
"Oh, it'll look good once it reaches the first setback."
Nope.
"Oh, it'll look good once the balcony cladding is on."
Nope.
"Oh, it'll look good once they get to the curtainwall section."
Nope.

And now, "Oh, it'll look good once it's topped out." Any predictions how that'll work out, based on past performance?

At this point, defenses of this turd sound less like an aesthetic stance and more like Stockholm syndrome.
It will look good to those who like it. It will not look good to those who don't. Just like everything else in this world. Where's the big mystery.

Tragic news from today. It must have happened just shortly after this photo was taken, and as someone who frequents highrise construction sites, I post this with the utmost respect for the family of the worker who lost his life today.

lNPX9PL.jpg

And here is one taken later in the evening after hearing the news. These things really hit close to home and it was impossible not to think about the situation while snapping this:

MHcSesq.jpg

Last edited:
If you watch the video Sunny posted - he landed on the building to the north of the site

lZhcVRd.jpg

I'm just catching up on this now, very sad. I noticed when I got home around 2 that the crane was parked for the day which I found strange given that I expected they would finish the pour on the n/w side to complete that level, now I know why. This is the southern end of the roof of College Park apartments, so he fell from somewhere around the north side of Aura from that plywood section that juts out. Still quite a considerable distance away from Aura. I can't understand why the roof of the apartment complex would be unstable, it's a concrete roof.

Posted by user vidyagames on reddit:

ljDBNsCh.jpg

He also posted the following:

I also saw (and haven't seen this in the news yet) a man being led away in handcuffs from the construction site by police.

Reddit Link

However this seems to infer that he just fell and it was an accident:

A man has died after he fell from a downtown condo building under construction on Yonge Street near Gerrard Street East on Friday afternoon, paramedics tell CityNews.

The lanyard on his safety harness broke, Toronto Fire officials say.

Capt. Mike Strapko said the man was working when he fell 181 metres from one roof at 388 Yonge St. to another.

The construction worker was an employee of Reliance Construction, the company said in a release on Friday evening.

Last edited:
Horrible news. Your heart sinks when you hear these things because you can almost sense that when you look up high at these projects that someone could have an off-day and potential have an accident and fall. There really is no room for error in safety when you are working so high off the ground.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family, friends, and co-workers.

Why would the lanyard break? Isn't this the kind of thing you want engineered to be capable of handling three times the forces that it might ever have to handle? If he was wearing a standard harness, one would think every high-rise worker in the province would 1) be feeling sick over this, and 2) want more assurances about their own equipment.

We will be sure to follow the investigation.

Years ago I lived at 38 Avenue, during construction the external elevator track detached from the building and one worker died while another hung on somehow. As always, there was also a young family involved too.

Interchange used the term 'lanyard', honestly that looked like something you'd see in a developing country. I cant believe anyone would be required to step on it.

Back