News   May 23, 2024
 355     0 
News   May 23, 2024
 763     7 
News   May 23, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

You speak as if there will be an accident every day that will shut the LRT down. A bit of fear-mongering, no?

I'm simply trying to explain the original poster's meaning. I take St Clair very often and have never been short-turned by an incident, so don't misunderstand me. I think the point being made was that the area in question, with the busy intersection and dvp ramps presents an obstacle better avoided if possible. Sorry if I came off as "fear-mongering" that was certainly not my intention.

http://ttc.ca/Customer_Service/Transit_Talk-By_TTC_Riders.jsp

Already got my ticket. My questions will be about elevating the crosstown in Scarborough and I want them to explain to everybody what would happen if there was an accident at the "at grade" part of the line, so everybody get the picture that they will be screwed while the rest of the line will continue due to the trains short turning

??

Why are you going to bitch to the TTC about a Metrolinx project?

But remember that the media will likely be at the meeting. If Solid Snake can go in there and question the TTC about why it isn't being elevated when it is relatively cheap to do so, perhaps the crowd will become riled up. If they're outraged enough (as they should be) it will make it to the news and councillors will hear about it. So this is a legitimate opportunity to change things for the eastern ECLRT. Hopefully more of us can make it to the meeting to question the TTC.

Already got my ticket. My questions will be about elevating the crosstown in Scarborough and I want them to explain to everybody what would happen if there was an accident at the "at grade" part of the line, so everybody get the picture that they will be screwed while the rest of the line will continue due to the trains short turning
That seems like a waste of a question. They'd simply say that the design isn't up to them, and refer you to Metrolinx. If you pressed for operational details they'd say that operation is years away, and they haven't got any details.

But remember that the media will likely be at the meeting. If Solid Snake can go in there and question the TTC about why it isn't being elevated when it is relatively cheap to do so, perhaps the crowd will become riled up.

Do we really know that it's "relatively cheap" to build an elevated line?

Do we really know that it's "relatively cheap" to build an elevated line?

No. It's more expensive than at-grade. It's 'relatively cheap' versus a subway which will never happen. It's a meme some folks are selling because there's an outside chance that their BMWs will be slowed marginally by an LRT on their way from St. Clair & O'Connor to STC. Or somewhere.

No. It's more expensive than at-grade. It's 'relatively cheap' versus a subway which will never happen. It's a meme some folks are selling because there's an outside chance that their BMWs will be slowed marginally by an LRT on their way from St. Clair & O'Connor to STC. Or somewhere.

Slowing down some guy's SUV is the least of my concerns. I want elevation because it will marginally increase reliability, greatly increase operational speed and allow the line to be merged with the new SRT.

But remember that the media will likely be at the meeting. If Solid Snake can go in there and question the TTC about why it isn't being elevated when it is relatively cheap to do so, perhaps the crowd will become riled up. If they're outraged enough (as they should be) it will make it to the news and councillors will hear about it. So this is a legitimate opportunity to change things for the eastern ECLRT. Hopefully more of us can make it to the meeting to question the TTC.

And all the TTC has to say is that Metrolinx is in charge of the design of the project, and Solid Snake should talk to them. The crowd would have to be uniformed morons to get mad at the TTC. over this.

You're just going to to waste your time, and honestly the TTC's time on a matter that they have no control of.

Another thing to consider is that Jaye Robinson and the community wanted the Leslie stop reinstated, so is it really wise for Scarberians to get riled over an issue that is not in their neighbourhood?

Last edited:
Hey folks,

I'm trying to get caught up here...(just moved to Toronto)

What would you consider the Eglinton-Crosstown's key issues and challenges from a community perspective?

Getting it built before more factually wrong bashing, unreasonable and unjustifiable demands for changes, political opportunism and loud mouth complainers manage to scuttle the line.

Slowing down some guy's SUV is the least of my concerns. I want elevation because it will marginally increase reliability, greatly increase operational speed and allow the line to be merged with the new SRT.

How do you define greatly increase operational speed? As I recall the difference in operating speed between the eastern surface section and the underground section is minimal.

It is also "relatively cheap" compared to the project cost.

Really? How do you figure that? I should spend extra money I don't have to do something no one wants to a line that will work just fine for millions of dollars less because one UT forum member has convinced himself he's right and the world is wrong?

TM: I think you're greatly exaggerating the dangers to surface LRT and gain in operational speed in order to convince the world to spend more money to not inconvenience traffic. I cannot otherwise fathom your stance, as the operational speed gains are as marginal as the reliability gains. Sure, your top speed is higher, but you still have to stop at the stops. Actual time saved will be marginal.

Also, and I keep coming back to this and y'all keep ignoring it, elevated transit is ugly. U-G-L-Y. We're going to tear down the Gardiner to build an LRT in the sky above Eglinton? Why? So far, here in the south of France, Marseille, Cannes, Nice -- Barcelona on a trip, Istanbul on a trip -- are tearing down elevated transit and/or building tramways at grade. Elevated sucks donkeys. Get over it.

Comparing Barcelona, Cannes, Nice, or Istanbul to Toronto's "Golden Mile" is a near war like provocation against those fair cities.

The Golden Mile is a commercial/industrial strip and will never be more than that but contrary to what Miller and friends think, that is a good thing. Cities need these areas as much as they need Bay, Queen, Bloor, or Yonge Streets. This section of Eglinton is ugly and completely forgetable and an elevated structure would do nothing to impair the urban environment.

The analogy to the Gardiner is a false and deceptive one in the extreme. The Gardiner is 6 lanes wide, has huge on/off ramps, rips thru the core and cuts off the city from it's waterfront............Eglinton elevation does none of those things. Another false doctrine put forward by anti-elevation crowds is that elevation has to be ugly and alienating. Vancouver's new Canada Line has done wonders for Richmond's core area even though the entire Richmond section is elevated.

In Richmond, they took out on lane for the pillions, put in bike paths under/beside them, widened the sidewalks, planted greenery not only along the entire length but also on the pillars themselves. The result? An area that has gone from a 6 lane suburban wasteland where only people with a death wish would walk down to and area that has a lot of pedestrian traffic and is infinetly more enjoyable and urbane than it ever was before.

Of course all of these things also don't mention the fact that elevation is not only more reliable, faster, and less disruptive to build but also much cheaper to run as it can be automated unlike any non-grade separated system.

Really? How do you figure that? I should spend extra money I don't have to do something no one wants to a line that will work just fine for millions of dollars less because one UT forum member has convinced himself he's right and the world is wrong?

TM: I think you're greatly exaggerating the dangers to surface LRT and gain in operational speed in order to convince the world to spend more money to not inconvenience traffic. I cannot otherwise fathom your stance, as the operational speed gains are as marginal as the reliability gains. Sure, your top speed is higher, but you still have to stop at the stops. Actual time saved will be marginal.

Also, and I keep coming back to this and y'all keep ignoring it, elevated transit is ugly. U-G-L-Y. We're going to tear down the Gardiner to build an LRT in the sky above Eglinton? Why? So far, here in the south of France, Marseille, Cannes, Nice -- Barcelona on a trip, Istanbul on a trip -- are tearing down elevated transit and/or building tramways at grade. Elevated sucks donkeys. Get over it.
NYC has the subways elevated in the outer boroughs sans Staten Island. I mean if its ugly oh well, I mean we are trying to move people.

NYC has the subways elevated in the outer boroughs sans Staten Island. I mean if its ugly oh well, I mean we are trying to move people.

Uh, I think you're making my point for me. Scarborough is 100x less dense than NYC boroughs.

SSI - the Gardiner was also considered beautiful and modern in its time. The Golden Mile needs to change. Building a barrier will guarantee it doesn't change inti a family friendly neighbourhood. Other than tilting at windmills or being car drivers, your arguments make so little sense.

Back