News   May 17, 2024
 3K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

952.jpg

Worth noting that a terrific ancient Castrol wall advertisement was briefly exposed by the the theatre's demolition--it was painted over; but you can see its red and blue vestiges on the right, now that the paintover is itself flaking away...

Another view (great marquee):

odeonhyland.jpg

With stylistic overtones of the old Odeon Danforth:

odeondanforth.jpg
odeondanforth2.jpg

952.jpg

Worth noting that a terrific ancient Castrol wall advertisement was briefly exposed by the the theatre's demolition--it was painted over; but you can see its red and blue vestiges on the right, now that the paintover is itself flaking away...

The loss of the Hyland and its neighbour the Hollywood has in my opinion greatly changed the St. Clair and Yonge neighbourhood. It was much more vibrant when these theatres existed; with all the moviegoer pedestrian and car traffic in and out of the area.

The area seems almost to be a midtown backwater now.

So many pages to look through (thankfully) but am getting through a fair bit. I really enjoy the comparisons of old photographs of areas to what they look like now. I think this why I still enjoy watching old Canadian tv shows shot in Toronto (The Littlest Hobo comes to mind) as I like seeing old neighbourhoods and streets from that era. Thanks Mustapha.

Heya datgtatrailsguy, you're welcome, and of course it's the contributors here that make me feel like a grateful spectator sometimes too. :)

Then and Now for February 12, 2013.

Then. Dec. 9, 1922. 274-6-8 Dupont St. This is the NW corner of Dupont and Spadina.

954spadinaanddupont2.jpg

Later. Same intersection; different viewing angle; 1973 or 4-ish; no earlier than late 73 because that Chevy Impala has '5-mile-per-hour bumpers' first introduced for the 1974 model year. That's a handsome Scotia Bank branch.

953spadinaanddupont.jpg

Now. August 2012. The Modern Laundry cleaning establishment is still there. Dupont Station entrance (opened 1978) occupies the site of the Scotiabank branch.

955.jpg

That Scotiabank branch reminds me of the one that used to occupy the SE corner of St. Clair and Avenue Rd. - quite one of the most dignified bank branches in Toronto, I think.

The bank building looks to have been architecturally polished, but Dupont Station's entrances and small plazas with Ron Baird's sci-fi door to the hidden hydro substation make for a more memorable intersection. One thing I'd love to see is photos of the 1978 Spadina line stations under construction, especially the fine mosaic murals at Dupont being created.

Great record of three distinct phases of a corner, Mustapha!
I just hope a fourth phase won't be coming any time soon - I've always loved the subway entrance and "sci-fi door."

Now, if someone could just turn the camera 90 degrees to the East I could get a shot of the Blake House (built 1891) at 449 Jarvis St. I've been trying to find a picture of that house for years! Anyone help?
Stephen
bigmac1x@gmail.com

While we're sharing our wish lists, do any of you wonderful resources have any old pictures of the Blake House at 449 Jarvis, built 1891. I've been searching for years to no avail.
Thanks,
Stephen

While we're sharing our wish lists, do any of you wonderful resources have any old pictures of the Blake House at 449 Jarvis, built 1891. I've been searching for years to no avail.
Thanks,
Stephen

Remember also that this was the second house for Edward Blake. The first house was No. 467 to the north and both are designated heritage buildings:

449 JARVIS:

Address: 449 JARVIS ST

Ward: 27
List Date: Jun 09, 1976
Intention Date:
By-Law: 192-78
Part IV Date: Mar 28, 1978
Part V Date:
Heritage District: N/A
District Status: N/A
Heritage Easement Ag: A976011
Registration Date: Mar 08, 1982
Building Type: Residential
Architect/Builder:
Construction Yr.:
Details: E.F. Blake House; 1891, Knox & Elliot; add. 1897, D.B. Dick, -adopted by City Council on June 9, 1976 DESIGNATION BY-LAW PASSED BY CITY COUNCIL on March 28, 1978 (heritage easement agreement, Registered A976011, March 8/82)
Demolition Date:
Primary Address: 449 JARVIS ST

467 JARVIS:

Address: 467 JARVIS ST

Ward: 27
List Date: Jun 20, 1973
Intention Date:
By-Law: 475-75
Part IV Date: Nov 12, 1975
Part V Date:
Heritage District: N/A
District Status: N/A
Heritage Easement Ag: A976011
Registration Date: Mar 08, 1982
Building Type: Residential
Architect/Builder:
Construction Yr.:
Details: House for S.R. Briggs, 1871-72, Smith & Gemmell; alt. 1876, Langley, Langley & Burke; alt. for Hon Edward Blake by Wm. Storm -adopted by City Council on June 20, 1973, DESIGNATION BY-LAW PASSED BY CITY COUNCIL ON Nov. 12, 1975 (heritage easement agreement
Demolition Date:
Primary Address: 467 JARVIS ST

http://app.toronto.ca/HeritagePreservation/details.do?folderRsn=2436161&propertyRsn=701643

Last edited:
Centennial Church: Amazing that the congregants could change their architectural taste so much in 15 years! (And not for the better I think.)

Then and Now for February 14, 2013.

Then. College Theatre. NW corner College and Dovercourt. 'Gallant Journey' is on the marquee. This dates the photograph to 1946. The theatre was built in 1920; closed in 1967.

961nwcollgeanddovercourt211047.jpg

Now. August 2012.

962.jpg

Note the old sign: 'Matador Dance Club' on the far right in both pictures. I've never been there but will be sure to go before I get too old to - uh - dance. :)

963.jpg

Then and Now for February 15, 2013.

Then. Looking at the N side of Melinda, between Jordan and - in the distance - Yonge Street. c1949.

647MelindaStreetbuildingsJordantoYongenorthside1949.jpg

Now. August 2012. On the left we see the back of the 1965 Montreal Trust building (11 King West). Montreal Trust was acquired by Scotiabank in 1995.

648.jpg

One of my favourite "urban" pics is in the TPL titled: "Site of robbery of bank messengers, Melinda St., looking n.w. across Jordan St." 1923. The three-storey building on the left of your 1949 pic, Mustapha, is on the right:

pictures-r-6604.jpg

Back