News   Apr 23, 2024
 277     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 852     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 478     0 

miWay Transit

Hmmm... 28-minute service for 107 is not bad for a starter. Maybe because Mississauga is testing the waters for possibly even more demand. I mean, look at 66 and 110's midday services, pretty good from what they started from.

A stop at Morning Star and Humberwood would prove useful (actually scratch that, since they can take 12/30 to transfer to 37A, and take 22 to take 36B and 96B).

Now that 107 directly serves Humber, will east-end Mississauga Humber students be attracted to take it instead of taking their local MiWay route to the subway then take TTC's 191?

Interesting too that we have a third route serving the airport as well (24). (Well, fifth if you include 57 and 59).

Also, York Region passengers transferring from 7 Martin Grove can take a single bus to Square One.

Last edited:
Only 2 people show up for tonight meeting on the weekend changes for 41/49 and were out number by the 2 ward councilors and their staff, as well me.

Met the new MT Manager of Service Development who only started yesterday with the presentation being done by the retire one.

41B will replace the current 2 with 41B doing McDowell Dr only of 49 and removing 41 west of 10th line on Thomas.

Only 98 riders trips are used for 49 per day on the weekend at an cost of $10+ per trip per rider or about $21 a rider doing a round trip.

After the meeting, only 1 rider on 41E other than me at a cost of $55 for that rider.

It will be interesting if the 2 councilors follow up with the recommendation at next council meeting that a transit advisory committee be form and that is long over due, considering there was to be a public meeting earlier this year that has never happen.

I wouldn't say it runs service to Malton, it runs some service past Malton, heading to Pearson or Westwood Mall.

And Westwood Mall is not in Malton?

... to Westwood Mall.

Yes, the 58, 58B and 58D provide service to Westwood Mall. But in Mississauga they are not TTC routes. They are Mississauga Transit routes operated by the TTC.

I repeat: there are no TTC services in Malton or to Westwood Mall. Instead of having 36B and 37A serve Westwood Mall, connecting to 14 different Mississauga and Brampton Transit routes, the TTC chooses to end these routes 1.5 km away at the border in the middle of nowhere.

Perhaps the people who suffer most here are those car-less people in Rexdale and Jane-Finch (there are a lot of them). If you are poor person living without a car in northwest Toronto, your job prospects will be extremely limited because all those employment areas in southeast Brampton and northeast Mississauga are off-limits, not just because of double fare, but also due to lack of connections, period, thanks to the TTC. Is it surprising these places have high unemployment and crime?

But that's just the typical elitism of Toronto really. Toronto is too good to provide connections to major transit terminals within 1.5km of its borders. Toronto is too good to provide service for its own people into the 905. Toronto is too good for allow the 905 systems to provide full two-way service within its borders. Toronto is too good for Presto. Toronto is too good for the 26/76/86/206 Burnhamthorpe/Express. And so on. It makes me sick.

And Westwood Mall is not in Malton?
I'd have called that area Westwood. The old village of Malton is west of Airport Road, north of Derry.

I repeat: there are no TTC services in Malton or to Westwood Mall. Instead of having 36B and 37A serve Westwood Mall, connecting to 14 different Mississauga and Brampton Transit routes, the TTC chooses to end these routes 1.5 km away at the border in the middle of nowhere.
Why would their be TTC routes into Mississauga? The only reason would be if Mississauga has asked TTC to run them and pay for them. I can't imagine there are many people who live in Toronto, who want to commute to Westwood Mall. Obviously, if there was demand, TTC would run into Mississauga, which they do for another nearby major node, without charging extra fares.

But that's just the typical elitism of Toronto really. ... It makes me sick.
That's an over-reaction. Surely the answer is that there's little demand.

December 3 changes will see the return of the 1B on Sat between 12-6.30 running between Islington and between Confederation and the Wharton Way area every 13 minute with 2 buses on a test base. This will help to reduce the over crowding issue and riders will see a bus every 6:5 minutes. Not sure how the looping will take place, but needs to go to Mavis.

Route 26 will see service cut after 8pm from 16-18 minutes to 20.5 minutes due ridership load. Getting ready for the start of the BRT in 2013 and helping to kill this route.

Dec 24, 27 and 28 will see reduce service. 110 seeing no short turn buses from Dec 24 Jan 2.

Route 76 is cancel between Dec 24-30.

A few routes will be seeing an extra bus or 2 added at peak time only for 1 trip.

Route 35 to see 10 minute service for am service and 9 for pm

Route 26 will see service cut after 8pm from 16-18 minutes to 20.5 minutes due ridership load. Getting ready for the start of the BRT in 2013 and helping to kill this route.
I don't think this would do that much damage. Parallel to the service cut, the schedule will be re-done using IBus, so that a one-way trip is 6-7 minutes faster. So for Islington-Square One trips, the increased wait time and decreased travel time cancel each other out perfectly. Also, all-week BRT service to Islington isn't planned until the full BRT East opens, so Burnhamthorpe should be safe from additional service cuts until 2014/2015.

Central Parkway Kiss&Ride BRT station

Parking: No spaces
Kiss & Ride: Yes
Heating/Enclosed Waiting Areas: Yes
Accessible: Yes - Elevator
Interconnecting Services: MiWay

BRT_CentralPkyStation_1.jpg

DSCF7701.jpg

DSCF7700.jpg

The remaining 100's will remain on the road as long they pass MTO inspection as well operate. If they fail the inspection or require any major work, they will be retire and store up in Malton with the rest of the fleet. If they make it to the arrival of the 2013 buses, will be retire then. From the top dog.

Council is looking at 1% annually tax increase for transit only to meet the current demand, but should be 1.5% to meet the full gap and expansion.

Phase 1 BRT will open in Oct 2013 with shuttle buses servicing the Airport Corporation Centre.

From what I was hearing today and it wasn't clear with more detail info to follow, the whole BRT cost is well over $400 based on tenders not issue at this time. That is well above the plan $250m that including a lot off gutting and over my 2004 cost of $375m, but I didn't take it out this far. If I did, would be close to the current cost..

There is to be a meeting between MT, TTC and Metrolinx over the repair issues at Islington.

The word is that the new Kipling station may not be ready until 2017 or later due to Hydro One issues. Best to extend the subway to Cloverdale and build a true Gateway Hub there that would benefit everyone.

All stops are to see rear pads for all the doors on all types of buses.

The next stop signs are going to remain as is.

Buses will be replace every 12-15 years up 2-3 from the current level to reduce capital cost.

Council was saying time has come to deal with higher density to support transit as well cut down on the number of cars per household. I have being saying this for the last 10 years. Now!! are they prepare to tell these NIMBY folks to go where or tell them to pickup the full cost to maintain their life style??

There was talk of full fare integration for the GTA, but the 2 elephant in the room were TTC and GO.

I'd have called that area Westwood. The old village of Malton is west of Airport Road, north of Derry.

That's like saying Parkdale is not part of Toronto. That's unbelievably stupid.

Why would their be TTC routes into Mississauga? The only reason would be if Mississauga has asked TTC to run them and pay for them.

Why would their be TTC routes into Mississauga? Are you serious?

Toronto doesn't exist inside a bubble, separate from the 905, no matter how much you wish it to.

I can't imagine there are many people who live in Toronto, who want to commute to Westwood Mall. Obviously, if there was demand, TTC would run into Mississauga, which they do for another nearby major node, without charging extra fares.

Who said that Westwood Mall has to be the destination for transit riders to want to travel to it? I'm not calling for a one way route with no connections to other routes. Seriously.

Westwood Mall has a major regional transit terminal. The TTC should serve it, end of story.

That's an over-reaction. Surely the answer is that there's little demand.

No, the answer is that Toronto is too elitest.

Considering how much the Mississauga BRT is costing is it still worth it? Should it have been LRT? Should it simply not have been built? Or should it have been build along a different alignment (e.g Dundas or Burnhamthorpe)?

Just to add my two cents:

We in Malton refer to the whole area of Mississauga north and east of the airport as Malton, with the original village called Old Malton when spoken of to other Maltonians.

The TTC's Malton 58 bus route has existed for much longer than Mississauga Transit with service since the mid '50s. I would guess that the route began to provide bus service to AVRO Aircraft and the then up and coming town of Malton. It now provides a local service from the Lawrence West station to the airport and onto Westwood Mall (or Victory Crescent on the weekends).
Who uses it? Those who need to get to/from Pearson or Malton to Lawrence West, Mount Dennis or Weston I guess. The TTC must think the route is worthwhile because I've never heard of it being on the chopping block.

Considering how much the Mississauga BRT is costing is it still worth it? Should it have been LRT? Should it simply not have been built? Or should it have been build along a different alignment (e.g Dundas or Burnhamthorpe)?

Yes, it's worth it. It's one of the few proposals that involves portions of a number of different lines (long and short distance) across a few different transit agencies; so BRT is still appropriate.

Hopefully future projects will have improved costing applied to them.

GO was directing this one weren't they? I wonder if Metrolinx will persist in their "everything we do is on time/budget" speech when criticizing TTC projects.

Last edited:
Yes, it's worth it. It's one of the few proposals that involves portions of a number of different lines (long and short distance) across a few different transit agencies; so BRT is still appropriate.

Hopefully future projects will have improved costing applied to them.

GO was directing this one weren't they? I wonder if Metrolinx will persist in their "everything we do is on time/budget" speech when criticizing TTC projects.

This is and always was a Mississauga initiative. You could say GO has co-opted part of it for their own purposes though.

Back