News   Mar 28, 2024
 563     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 854     0 

Restaurant Row Threatened

gristle

Member Bio
Reaction score
I received a communication from the Condominium Owners Association of Ontario regarding restaurant row. It would appear that they've been hearing what I have heard from a couple of developers over the last few years: that there is a desire to redevelop restaurant row and replace it with a couple of tall condo towers. There can be little doubt that many developers desiring to build yet more bachelor boxes in this location will be promising alternative restaurant replacements, such as a Montana's, a Kelsey's or whatever goes for fine dining in the suburbs. Originality is not always a strength of theirs.

http://www.coaontario.com/restaurant-row

Last edited:
I received a communication from the Condominium Owners Association of Ontario regarding restaurant row. It would appear that they've been hearing what I have heard from a couple of developers over the last few years: that there is a desire to redevelop restaurant row and replace it with a couple of tall condo towers. There can be little doubt that many developers desiring to build yet more bachelor boxes in this location will be promising alternative restaurant replacements, such as a Montana's, a Kelsey's or whatever goes for fine dining in the suburbs. Originality is not always a strength of theirs.

Unless these restaurants own their premises, exactly why should they be entitled to stay there?

Well, entitled is a strong word. But I'd use it this way:
The buildings that constitute restaurant row are a substantial piece of Toronto's architectural history. The row is intact on one one of it's main streets, and a longstanding part of Toronto's social and public memory, and function as an amenity and draw in their own right. So why should anyone be entitled to demolish them, or build on top of them?

There's no fine dining there now. Just tourist traps.

The buildings that constitute restaurant row are a substantial piece of Toronto's architectural history. The row is intact on one one of it's main streets, and a longstanding part of Toronto's social and public memory, and function as an amenity and draw in their own right. So why should anyone be entitled to demolish them, or build on top of them?

Because they own them.

touche! However unless the entire block is designated as a heritage site ( fat chance with the brothers Ford ) whoever owns the block will do whatever they want to do. Personally integrating the existing structures with the new development, although challenging, would be ideal.

Im generally pro-development, and not a huge fan of these restaurants - but I am completely against this proposal. We cannot afford to destroy more of these stretches in the downtown. I sympathize with the developers because this will destroy their intent to make a profit, but if they speculated on getting thi approval that is their problem. And frankly its something of an insult to the city because its obviously a very lively, important area.

Personally, I'll be very surprised if this went through. For one, those restaurants are central to the Theater District, as well as the Sky Dome and other amenities in the area. Sure, some would be replaced and stuck into the base of towers. But still...I don't see it happening.

I thought restaurant row referred to the restaurants located on the south side of King Street west of John Street.

The Mirvish development is on north side of King Street between Simcoe Street and John Street (Royal Alexandra Theatre will stay).

with everything in ED being razed/demo'd, what remnants of the original ED will remain that attracted people to the area in the first place?
restaurant row, night clubs, theatres, all the old Ed restaurants

Last edited:

Back