News   Apr 18, 2024
 477     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 3.7K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.2K     4 

miWay Transit

That is probably what they should focus on, not frequency.

Well, the riders have spoken. The survey results mentioned that service frequency is the most important thing to increase ridership. To maintain the increased ridership, service hours, coverage area, and service reliability are the keys. Well, for me, service frequency, service hours, service area, and service reliability go hand-in-hand-in-hand-in-hand.

41 and 49 are crazy crowded with the GO Train shuttle buses. I think that the only way to get 41, 49, 38, and 91 to get pleasing frequencies and get sustainable amount of riders is to have the Milton GO Train to run 7 days a week. That would mean 32, 62, 64, and 67 will be able to run 7 days a week too.

Drum's criteria is doable, but with some restrictions applied:
- 61 Mavis, 20 Rathburn, and 10 Bristol are good candidates to go under 30-minute service 7 days a week.
- 38 Creditview, 9 Meadowvale, and 44 Mississauga Road can go under 30-minute service during middays. If that happens, 53 will be the only remaining trunk route that has midday service less frequent than 30 minutes.
- The least frequent route during middays, 4 Sherway, could use another bus to move it closer to 30-minute service.
- Almost all routes that run every 16-20 minutes during rush hour are viable for 15-minute service or less during rush hours.
- I think that 43 should revert back to 27, and make it run two-way, so that Britannia passengers of 87 can use this service instead to go to Skymark. Also add the 38A to run during rush hours and end at Erindale GO, doubling Creditview's rush hour frequency to 11 minutes, to get a reliable connection from route 35/35A that goes to the subway. Add to that an even more boosted Eglinton service during rush hours, and we can say bye-bye to 87.

905ers are more demanding when it comes to transit service, since they have their own car anyways. Once they have a bad experience in transit, such as not being able to get a seat on the bus, or the bus being late, they will revert back to driving and will not ever think about taking transit again. So I really think that once the seats of the bus are about to fill, increase service. That will prevent passengers to be left behind during times of anomaly. And obviously, my solution will not work for 19, 110, and 88, which are normally overcrowded.

I find it very surprising that 28 Confederation is more frequent than 26 Burnhamthorpe on Sundays...

I also see some people taking the 57 during the first northbound run, which is at around 1:30 PM. They could deploy some minibuses there for at least midday service, and bypass the Infield area.

On weekdays, 1 Dundas already has 24 hour service, sort of, technically. First eastbound trip begins at 3:53am and the last one ends at 2:22am. First westbound trip begins at 4:00am and last one ends at 3:20am. Adding even one or two full trips in both directions would probably be enough to make it a true 24 hour route.

Well, that's if you live west of Winston Churchill. If you live east of it, it's not 23-hour service, more like 21. But sliding the frequencies to every 20 minutes during those gaps is not bad. After all, Dundas already has 14-minute late night service.

Same thing for Burnhamthrope with 17 min frequency. It can slide down to 25 during the overnight hours.

Same goes for Hurontario, Bloor, Dixie, and Westwood.

No way! The 19 is just too iconic. If there is any change, it should be to 10, not 2.

Bristol already has that number. It won't obviously be cancelled, maybe until the LRT comes in, which makes it ripe for route restructuring.

-------------------------------------------------

And concerning fares, there is not that much increase, so I say good job MiWay with regards to this matter.
- $ 2.70 adult ticket is parallel to that of the TTC.
- Good thing that the adult monthly pass is frozen. Finally, they have taken notice that they are getting wayy above the rest of the 905, and getting close to the TTC's $126.50.
- The adult weekly pass got over the $30 threshold, but it's still miles away from the TTC's $37.50
- Thank heavens that they will not increase the cash fare to $3.50. This will make YRT stand out with their $3.75 cash fare.

19 is only iconic in the sense that it's been 19 for a while. Hurontario used to be 2 so I think it should go back to 2. There is no route 2 in service now so I don't see why not.

With the cutback of 19 to the 407 loop, the argument that more of the route is on 19's turf than on 2's turf no longer flies (when they were separate routes). MT changing the route number back to 2 is fine with me, except for the minor confusion where BT 2 and MT 2 overlap, given that the large number on the destination sign is the first thing one sees before the route name or the colour of the stripe(s) below the windshield.

Last edited:
Well, the riders have spoken. The survey results mentioned that service frequency is the most important thing to increase ridership. To maintain the increased ridership, service hours, coverage area, and service reliability are the keys. Well, for me, service frequency, service hours, service area, and service reliability go hand-in-hand-in-hand-in-hand.

Well, I was saying what MT should focus on first. For example, higher Sunday frequencies isn't going to make much difference if the buses only operate 9-10 hours day on many routes (or not at all). Frequency entices people to use transit, while wider service span makes it possible for them to use transit. No point in trying to make the bus more attractive if it is not even an option in the first place.

Actually, I noted route 45 as one of routes most needing a weekend frequency increase, but apparently it was already recently increased to 45 minutes (from 60 minutes), so even that one does not apply. For route 45 on Saturdays, is the 45 minute frequency worse, or is the end of service at 7-8pm worse? I think the end of service at 7-8pm is worse.

Drum's criteria is doable, but with some restrictions applied:
- 61 Mavis, 20 Rathburn, and 10 Bristol are good candidates to go under 30-minute service 7 days a week.
- 38 Creditview, 9 Meadowvale, and 44 Mississauga Road can go under 30-minute service during middays. If that happens, 53 will be the only remaining trunk route that has midday service less frequent than 30 minutes.

Drum was talking about a 30 minute minimum frequency on Sundays for the lowest ridership routes. I don't think that's realistic, at all.

I think that 43 should revert back to 27, and make it run two-way, so that Britannia passengers of 87 can use this service instead to go to Skymark. Also add the 38A to run during rush hours and end at Erindale GO, doubling Creditview's rush hour frequency to 11 minutes, to get a reliable connection from route 35/35A that goes to the subway. Add to that an even more boosted Eglinton service during rush hours, and we can say bye-bye to 87.

38 and 38A should be made the same length to operate in tandem (38A is a shortened version of 38). Actually I was thinking that the 38 should adopt the 38A routing 7 days a week and 38A retired. A new rush hour only 38C would serve Meadowpine/Meadowvale Blvds (that are no longer served by the new 38) and bypass Lisgar GO and Smartcentre making it the same length as the new 38.

Let me restate my comment on low ridership routes.

There are low ridership that will never make the 30 minute service level and will remain at higher headway, as there is no growth in them based on weekday ridership. Even weekday routes will remain high headway to the point they will never see 30 minutes due no growth and poor density.

Route 38 needs to redesign for 7 days a week service with a new route to service parts of the route 38 would not service.

Sunday service needs to be 16-18 hour day.

61 has a real issue once it leaves Mavis, it lack riders all day and one reasons I have call for a 61C or new number to run from Derry & Mavis to Sq One Only with 68A/B operating all day giving headway for Mavis every 15 minutes or less. Throw in a Mavis bus to Cooksville GO station, you got 10 minute service on Mavis.

As for 45, it has no real ridership going to Clarkson GO and you may have to come up with a shorter 45 route to Dundas only to get it below 45 minutes.

27/43 should be 2 way all day as well 7 days a week if you don't move the 49 to an all east-west route to Dixie, let alone Skymark.

Riders on a few routes will have to do a transfer than the single seat ride they get today, as they are killers for ratio cost on all levels.

With the cutback of 19 to the 407 loop, the argument that more of the route is on 19's turf than on 2's turf no longer flies (when they were separate routes). MT changing the route number back to 2 is fine with me, except for the minor confusion where BT 2 and MT 2 overlap, given that the large number on the destination sign is the first thing one sees before the route name or the colour of the stripe(s) below the windshield.

Seeing as Brampton's Route 2 is on the same street as a Mississauga Route 2 would be, I don't even think that's a problem. Mississauga and Brampton would be running the Hurontario-Main LRT together, so what's the harm in starting by running a single Route 2 along the length of the future LRT?

Seeing as Brampton's Route 2 is on the same street as a Mississauga Route 2 would be, I don't even think that's a problem. Mississauga and Brampton would be running the Hurontario-Main LRT together, so what's the harm in starting by running a single Route 2 along the length of the future LRT?

Are you suggesting a single route from Heart Lake to Port Credit? That wouldn't work. At least one of the two systems involved likes clockface schedules, thank you very much!

No, it's bad enough that there's two 501 Queens in the GTA, but they don't come anywhere close to each other. Having a common terminal point between two different route 2s (one that was just changed to satisfy a historical numbering scheme), where there aren't really many other buses at that terminal point, is silly.

Last edited:

Longer routes = more reliability problems. Even if Mississauga and Brampton were one system, bus service along Hurontario would still be split.

Are you suggesting a single route from Heart Lake to Port Credit? That wouldn't work. At least one of the two systems involved likes clockface schedules, thank you very much!

Yeah, because the schedules of 2 Main are much more convenient than 19 Hurontario's.

No, it's bad enough that there's two 501 Queens in the GTA, but they don't come anywhere close to each other. Having a common terminal point between two different route 2s (one that was just changed to satisfy a historical numbering scheme), where there aren't really many other buses at that terminal point, is silly.

Especially considering the 19 itself is one of MT's oldest routes, operasting for at least 30 years, and coexisted with the 2 for many years, connecting Sq One and Shopper's World while the 2 connected Sq One and Port Credit. Today's 19 was literally a combination of the old 2 and 19 into a single route.

Longer routes = more reliability problems. Even if Mississauga and Brampton were one system, bus service along Hurontario would still be split.

Yeah, because the schedules of 2 Main are much more convenient than 19 Hurontario's.

Especially considering the 19 itself is one of MT's oldest routes, operasting for at least 30 years, and coexisted with the 2 for many years, connecting Sq One and Shopper's World while the 2 connected Sq One and Port Credit. Today's 19 was literally a combination of the old 2 and 19 into a single route.

I just don't understand why they wouldn't have kept the #2 instead of #19 when they merged the routes.

28 minute frequency... ShonTron will have field day. Seriously though, they probably should've just made it 30 minutes. Still a great a improvement though. Malton is really isolated, this new express service will help. I still think it's amazing though that the TTC provides no service in Malton at all. The TTC is part of the reason for Malton's recent problems, but that's just my opinion.

I still think it's amazing though that the TTC provides no service in Malton at all. The TTC is part of the reason for Malton's recent problems, but that's just my opinion.
Why would TTC provide services to Malton? Not sure what the background to this issue is. Has Mississauga Transit tried to pay TTC to service Malton previously or something?

28 minute frequency... ShonTron will have field day. Seriously though, they probably should've just made it 30 minutes. Still a great a improvement though. Malton is really isolated, this new express service will help. I still think it's amazing though that the TTC provides no service in Malton at all. The TTC is part of the reason for Malton's recent problems, but that's just my opinion.

Why does Brampton Transit provide services to Malton?

MT already pays for 58B and 58D to Malton.

I'm confused.

I think what Doady's talking about is the TTC arbitrarily ending the 36B and 37A at Humberwood Loop, less than 2 km from Westwood, while Brampton has three routes continuing south to Westwood when they could just as easily end them at Steeles. (58B/D are essentially MT routes operated by the TTC; they only accept MT fares north of the airport.)

Back