Toronto Massey Tower Condos | 206.95m | 60s | MOD Developments | Hariri Pontarini

The sales center is disappointing, considering what it could have been like. Hopefully it's restored to look something like it would have in it's hey day. The building model itself isn't too bad at all.

You're right. I never noticed the base. Its a problem I've always had. The base in the first photo is quite ugly. The seconds shot you don't see it.

If Kirkor can conceal a parking garage at Cinema Tower, then HP can do a lot better here.

Last edited:
June 12th:

SPR_0405.jpg

SPR_0408.jpg

A lot of sales dudes or waiters. From the street the parking garage will be all but invisible. From a few floors up it will be a bit drab. They can dress that up easily with different tiles and a few windows. I'm no architect, but i'm sure it's eassy and not all that expensive.

^ Parking attendants.

The only place you'll notice the parking is from the Eaton Centre parking garage across the street. Hardly a big deal.

...and from across the street. I still think it could be a lot more interesting at ground level as well as the parking garage. Apparently other people disagree with me, but I stand by my statement. :p

You probably don't want it to look too interesting and distract from the heritage structure. Frankly I think a volume clad in the same materials, with minimal, modern ornamentation would work even better.

AoD

It also disturbs me that not only is downtown becoming a place only for the upper-middle class and rich, but in projects like this, the old architecture is often handed over to a large, over-sized and under-utilized lobby for residents. In the image above, it's represented quite well.

I'm from an upper-middle class family myself, but I want to live in a city that puts the public, greater good first, and I want to live in a downtown core where there is many people from different income levels. This is changing, and I find these large, overdone lobbies (which are in my opinion very under-utilized most of the time) just rub everyone's faces in it. I used to live at the MET and I think that's a perfect size for a lobby, and it gets the job done.

Are we living in a city that (in its residential developments) perpetuates class divide and hands history over to a private minority? I would argue yes, among other greater issues.

Related:

The Three Cities Within Toronto - Income Polarization Among Toronto's Neighbourhoods
http://www.urbancentre.utoronto.ca/pdfs/curp/tnrn/Three-Cities-Within-Toronto-2010-Final.pdf

I agree, i guess the trash-talk on this development has to start somewhere..lol

Trash talk or an architectural critique that demands better design from a firm that is capable of it?

Last edited:
It also disturbs me that not only is downtown becoming a place only for the upper-middle class and rich, but in projects like this, the old architecture is often handed over to a large, over-sized and under-utilized lobby for residents. In the image above, it's represented quite well.

I'm from an upper-middle class family myself, but I want to live in a city that puts the public, greater good first, and I want to live in a downtown core where there is many people from different income levels. This is changing, and I find these large, overdone lobbies (which are in my opinion very under-utilized most of the time) just rub everyone's faces in it. I used to live at the MET and I think that's a perfect size for a lobby, and it gets the job done.

Are we living in a city that (in its residential developments) perpetuates class divide and hands history over to a private minority? I would argue yes, among other greater issues.

Related:

Really?

The Three Cities Within Toronto - Income Polarization Among Toronto's Neighbourhoods
http://www.urbancentre.utoronto.ca/pdfs/curp/tnrn/Three-Cities-Within-Toronto-2010-Final.pdf

Trash talk or an architectural critique that demands better design from a firm that is capable of it?

I found the Met had the most akward lobby I have ever been in. Security was lacking, as the concierge desk is sunk into the wall, meaning he cant see on either side of the desk, the elevator lobby was tiny and often felt like being in a cramped subway car... this lead to the door constantly being held open when the elevator lines got too long and snaked into the lobby... meaning anyone could just walk in. The speakerphone to buzz units was located right beside that door, meaning anyone buzzing could just walk in the moment someone walked out, and security wouldn't notice because they cant see that area anyway. On top of all that, there was no area to wait and greet people. Just two chairs smacked right in front of the busiest part of the lobby. It just felt cold and uninviting.

Im not saying bigger is necessarily better, as Quantum at Yonge/Eg has massive lobbies and waiting areas that were underutilized, but the Met is by far the worst condo lobby I have seen in terms of functioning as a lobby.

You probably don't want it to look too interesting and distract from the heritage structure.

AoD

+1.

The restoration/mise en valeur of the heritage structure along with a very attractive tower make this project a winner for me on all accounts.

As for those griping about private development paying for and saving heritage properties think about the many unfortunate alternatives that are very real in a city like Toronto where heritage has next to no value whatsoever.

Back