Toronto First Canadian Place Rejuvenation | 298.08m | 72s | Brookfield | MdeAS Architects

No need for rudeness. I've been to meetings in the AON Center.

IMG_4552.jpg

IMG_4711.jpg

Gorgeous view of the park.

IMG_4528.jpg

Not as close looking to FCP as our Mies buildings are to their Mies buildings.

IMG_4536.jpg

If anything, the AON center always reminds me more of the WTC (same builder). :(

IMG_4556.jpg

Last edited:
If anything, the AON center always reminds me more of the WTC (same builder). :(

Actually, the architect of Aon and FCP are the same: Edward Durell Stone (WTC was Minoru Yamasaki). The only reason why Aon *seems* more similar to WTC is that its windows are vertically banded like WTC--that's it, period. (And the square-tube construction is what the Stone twins and the Yamasaki twins have in common.) And of course, as we've gone over way back in this thread, Aon and FCP have the pretentious-marble-cladding-fail element in common. They're absolutely sister buildings, to the point where Wikipedia (yeah, sure, I know; the quack disclaimer, don't trust Wikipedia, etc etc) emphasizes the point.

Yeah, of course it's not "identical" in the same easy-for-a-hack-amateur-architectural-connoisseur-to-comprehend way that Mies buildings are "identical"--yet aside from the vertical-vs-horizontal-window issue (and the present granite-vs-fritted-glass-recladding issue), everything screams out "sister structures" about the two. And you can't really say that about any of Toronto's other non-Mies downtown superscrapers--the only one with a true, clear, explicit "Chicago equivalent" is FCP. Not CCN, not Scotia, not BCE, not RBP, etc etc...

Yeah, of course it's not "identical" in the same easy-for-a-hack-amateur-architectural-connoisseur-to-comprehend way that Mies buildings are "identical"--yet aside from the vertical-vs-horizontal-window issue (and the present granite-vs-fritted-glass-recladding issue), everything screams out "sister structures" about the two. And you can't really say that about any of Toronto's other non-Mies downtown superscrapers--the only one with a true, clear, explicit "Chicago equivalent" is FCP. Not CCN, not Scotia, not BCE, not RBP, etc etc...
YouMad.jpg

Last edited:
Is this the original screen from before the renovation just being reinstalled though or is it an upgrade? I can't remember what the original looked like.

I walked by yesterday and it certainly didn't look new, so I'm going to assume it's the same curved screen as before. Wish they would at least update it to something a little more...this decade.

Back