News   Apr 16, 2024
 547     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 433     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 791     0 

Supertall and near-Supertall Rumour/Speculation Thread

It does not sound to me like the LEED Platinum building (Calgary?) will be a supertall. So even if the Toronto supertall is all-residential, FCP will remain Canada's tallest office tower.

OK, good! :) (I'm a Calgary transplant so you can only imagine the personal impact it would have had on me, a mega skyscraper geek.) :)

Would it be possible for this to be a revived BCE3 or a height increase on BAC East/North or NDIX?

There is no way INDX will get an increase, this is the same site as the sapphire tower and we all know how much the city loved that. The problem is that anything over the approved 55 floors will be shot down because of shadowing on NPS.

For Bay Adelaide to get a increase they would have to land a huge tenant, something like Manulife. They have been searching for a lead tenant for the east tower for years if i'm not mistaken and it will most likely be awhile before we hear any major news on it.

Like said above, BCE3 and 45 Bay also seem like good spots for a supertall. I feel Brookfield may wait awhile for BCE3 just because of the amount of competition for office space, there is Bay Adelaide east, RAC3, the upcoming Front and Simcoe project and countless other smaller projects the contend with. But 45 Bay may be the site, its been rather quiet lately but someone said last year that SITQ was getting moving on the project so it wouldn't surprise me if we heard some news on it soon. I was thinking half office half residential with the bus terminal on the ground floor

I would include the Toronto star lands but that's kind of stretching the boundaries of the CBD.

Then again i could be absolutely wrong about all of my prediction, so lets wait and see.

From osmo on SSP:

No Troll here. When I was droped this goody I did not no how much to expose... I thought maybe some people on here could fill in the gaps or we could play a game of hot or cold . But yes a building will be taken down to facilitate this. The parts I was murky on and didn't ask for clarification was if it was going to be BAC 2 or the New construct that would be the LEED Platinum. I was unsure of this so I thought maybe somebody on here maybe had a leg up on info and could fill in that grey spot.

But my source said the plan is to go big, they have plans to eclipse FCP. The sub levels are all ready prepped and ready to go. The Park + Parking complex will be ripped up and the tower started quite quickly once things are set in stone. I assume they are trying to go for a BCE 2.0 with a presence on Yonge.

No Troll here.. just giving you guys the news I was told. From the pieces I was told I assumed the Supertall wouldn't be LEED Platinum I brought up the aspect of cost to my source on this and they said that tenants want LEED, and I also I thought it was ballsy to try and build a LEED Supertall, and brought up how I wasn't a big fan of BAC 1 and its design (My issue was if its possible to build a quality LEED Platinum Tower in Toronto?). but good points were brought up about its extremely low environmental footprint and I guess it has been a good cash cow for the firm so if that what the market is asking for (LEED Platinum) I guess they will follow that lead.

So from my long winded responce these things are firm:

- Two Towers will be proposed in the near future in that vicinity
- One of the Towers will be a Supertall
- One of the Towers will be LEED Platinum
- Both will have high LEED certification
- Some type of demolishment will be done to the adjacent 2-stories... how far this streteches to Yonge I am unclear but in the convo my source express a desire to have a noticble presense on Yonge Street.

And I guess they hate Trump as well and wan't to try and block it out as much as they can out since Trump did not honor is setback agreement and blocks some of BAC Towers views.

If this pans out... holy cow. But what about shadowing of NPS? On the other hand, Scotia Plaza and Trump are not too far below 300m, and are closer to NPS, so perhaps a 300m building at the location of BAC East would be acceptable to the City (and Trump had been approved at over 300m). Not to mention that this project would be a bit further north than either of those two, so might be less of a shadowing threat.

Last edited:
Image by innsertnamehere:

Untitled-2.png

More from osmo at SSP:

The conversation occurred 2 weeks ago. It was over drinks mind you so that's the reason why it took me a while to piece together what I was told. But from revisiting this topic again... looking at the site and piecing little pieces together it makes more sense now. Cadillac Fairview when it opened the RBC Center + Ritz took a lot of shine off of BAC, its interesting to see rivalries at work because it means we get way better towers!

I think they redeemed themselves with the makeover of FCP but there is ambition to do more. The site is already prepped it would just mean cracking the ground and going up which I assume brings down costs quite considerably.

The status of the tower was either that we're fishing for a designer or we're mulling different proposals (again the beers got to me). I mentioned The Bow, Calgary and BoA Tower, NYC as quality Toronto should be striving for and my source acknowledged that the firm is going to make this a signature piece of the portfolio so I assume they will attempt to blow the roof of the skyline (and their competition).

What is BCE?
In this context, most likely Bell Canada Enterprises. BCE is/was the owner or lead tenant (I don't know which) of an attractive financial district development that did an admirable job of integrating some older architecture into a new structure. Apparently it is now called Brookfield Place.

Last edited:
So if this information is correct, the most likely scenario would be a <250m LEED Platinum building for BAC2, and a >300m LEED Gold or Silver building on the old BCE3 location?

Thanks for the renderings. If I am able to decipher the posts correctly, it sounds to me like both these towers with be at the BA site, with an expanded footprint including frontage on Yonge. Remember there are TWO towers planned there..the condo for BA North, and a second identical yet shorter tower for BA East. Perhaps the BA East one would be the supertall, with setbacks from Yonge, and BA North would be a Leed Platinum condo/hotel tower.

in other words this is not a BCE proposal. But who knows perhaps it is all just smoke, rumours from a conversation over drinks...

BCE3 might be one of the better locations for a supertall, if the best prospects for a supertall is a fully mixed use office/condo tower. It is right in the financial district but also just across the street from L Tower and steps from the Market District. It could play off the tapering of the other BCE towers, with the larger floorplates on lower floors for offices and smaller floorplates on the higher floors for condo, but in a more modern framework. Bring back Calatrava.

Back