News   Apr 17, 2024
 462     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 298     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.8K     1 

Supertall and near-Supertall Rumour/Speculation Thread

Toronto is lacking compared to a city of similar size like Chicago. Chicago's high end stores are... Barney's, Nordstorm, Saks, Neiman Marcus, and two Bloomingdale's and that's just the downtown!!! For mid range they have Macy's, Lord & Taylor, Sears, JC Penny, Kohl's, Bon Ton. Lower end TJ Max, K-mart, Target, Marshalls, Wal Mart

At some point I stopped comparing Toronto to Chicago, realizing they share little in common other than city population and climate.

All of Canada is under-retailed. It's not a Toronto thing.
If you can't understand the political reasons why all of Canada, and not only Toronto, is under-retailed, then i can't help you.

And why is this discussion in the supertall thread.

All of Canada is under-retailed. It's not a Toronto thing.
If you can't understand the political reasons why all of Canada, and not only Toronto, is under-retailed, then i can't help you.

And why is this discussion in the supertall thread.

You're right but wrong in regards to this conversation ;)

So Canadian cities have less retail per capita then American ones.

But 'downtown' on average Canadian cities have a lot more retail. On average as it depends what American city you compare too.

Now what I think you meant to say is Canada is under-high-end-retailed in the downtown cores. But the reasons for this, are as you said, a Canadian thing ...

Perhaps move the retail-focussed discussion to the retail section?

Any substance to all those supertall rumours from before the holidays? Looks like today's Massey news takes one of them off the table as it is only 60 storeys.

How does the Massey news take a supertall rumour off the table, if that rumour was not of a supertall in the first place? In the very first post on this thread it was listed as a potential 60-storey building, which as it turns out is accurate. I never gave any credence to the 80-storey version of that rumour, as the 60-storey version was far more detailed and believable (as well as being corroborated by multiple sources).

How does the Massey news take a supertall rumour off the table, if that rumour was not of a supertall in the first place? In the very first post on this thread it was listed as a potential 60-storey building, which as it turns out is accurate. I never gave any credence to the 80-storey version of that rumour, as the 60-storey version was far more detailed and believable (as well as being corroborated by multiple sources).

ok relax..sheesh. point taken. So what about those other rumours from before the holidays..how about those?

Yes, there were rumours of 2 supertalls, with an announcement in the first half of january of one of them. I think the speculated locations were the base of Yonge (a Dubai outfit) and the Yorkville area.

From osmo at SSP:
I have word from a good source that there is indeed a firm plan for a building in the Financial District that will "surpass FCP". this firm has 2 projects in the works one will be Canada's first LEED Platinum Skyscraper, the other will be Toronto and Canada's first Supertall.

If there is any truth to that rumor, first of all it will not be all residential I expect 15-30 floors of office and residential on top. Secondly where is this going to go, there is no more parking left in the core, trump snatched up the last lot. Along with RAC3 and the bay adelaide complex there is nowhere to build without demolition. So the site I am betting on is lombard place.

213217-Large.jpg

"I have word from a good source that there is indeed a firm plan for a building in the Financial District that will "surpass FCP". this firm has 2 projects in the works one will be Canada's first LEED Platinum Skyscraper, the other will be Toronto and Canada's first Supertall."

Are both towers planned to be in Toronto? Sounds like one is Calgary.

Yeah it does sound like their LEED Platinum building is not to be built in Toronto -- but their supertall is indeed planned for Toronto.

You know what I'm fearing? That the LEED Platinum building will be in Calgary (just like how a few of you also think) but that building will be either completely or mostly office space, whereas the supertall in Toronto will be mostly or completely residential (with perhaps a bit of hotel space).

If that's true, then Toronto will lose the status of having the country's tallest (and perhaps largest by sq. ft.) office tower.

Symbolically, it would be a big blow to Toronto and very much a strong symbol for Calgary's economic (and office space oriented) prowess. :(

It does not sound to me like the LEED Platinum building (Calgary?) will be a supertall. So even if the Toronto supertall is all-residential, FCP will remain Canada's tallest office tower.

Back