Vaughan TYSSE: Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station | ?m | ?s | TTC | Grimshaw

Well done Solaris!! Wow, you sure know your stuff.

And you are indeed right with your findings, however I must point out that the RBC building shown here does already exist and was not really photoshopped. It is at 7 and Edgeley.

N1794700_1.jpg

Older picture of the building.

Cheers,
and once again great job Solaris.

I went to VCC for the first time today and there's nothing there. Is that block going to be transformed or is the station just to serve as a transit hub as an island onto itself?

in time. assuming that our property market don't go bust.

With the recent developments in Toronto's downtown core, it doesn't seem that VMC will recieve much office development. So it'll be condos.

I went to VCC for the first time today and there's nothing there. Is that block going to be transformed or is the station just to serve as a transit hub as an island onto itself?

The subway is going to be right in the middle of the redevelopment of that particular area between the 400 and Jane street on Highway 7. Viva will build their BRT VivaStation at VCC and will act as a hub for Viva, YRT and Zum. There will be no parking at this station.

Currently, there isn't much there:
vaughan-centre-01.jpg

But with development of condos and office buildings (I can see current 905 businesses moving into the "core") - the area will hopefully look like this:
vaughan-centre-02.jpg

Will it 100% be like the bottom picture? Probably not. However, I'm confident that Vaughan will completely reshape that area; some life is desperately needed.

the problem is alot of 905 jobs are factory type jobs and never have very good asthetic looking buildings. Even if alot of the 905 jobs moved here I am doubtful it would look anything close to this. Plus one of the thngs 905 jobs really want is a ocean of parking available for their employees. IF they had to build underground parking lots to make up for all the old spots it would become a very expensive project for companys trying to save money NOT spend money.

the problem is alot of 905 jobs are factory type jobs and never have very good asthetic looking buildings. Even if alot of the 905 jobs moved here I am doubtful it would look anything close to this. Plus one of the thngs 905 jobs really want is a ocean of parking available for their employees. IF they had to build underground parking lots to make up for all the old spots it would become a very expensive project for companys trying to save money NOT spend money.

Factory jobs? No, the service and retail sectors are plenty big and there's going to be a lot more mixed-use/residential. There's already a few thousand condo units approved just across the street from that and I don't think it will be too hard for Tormont to find a seller when their time is up.

Anyway, the reason there's nothing on that site right now (aside from the Walmart/Lowes/Future Shop) is obvious when you think about it: after the initial round of development there was no point building any more until it was obvious the subway was coming. Too late for big box, too early for mixed use.

So, in answer to the question above, yes all that land is vacant because it's waiting for the subway. I've seen the rough plans for that segment and while it will undoubtedly take time it's not going to be sitting in the middle of nowhere for long. (Some of the adjacent construction can't go ahead yet until the cut-and-cover is complete, but it will.)

Those plans also include NO surface parking whatsoever at full build-out so the 905 sixrings is talking about is the 905 of the past. It doesn't apply to a provincially designated growth node built around a subway station in 2011.

Last edited:
Factory jobs? No, the service and retail sectors are plenty big and there's going to be a lot more mixed-use/residential. There's already a few thousand condo units approved just across the street from that and I don't think it will be too hard for Tormont to find a seller when their time is up.

Anyway, the reason there's nothing on that site right now (aside from the Walmart/Lowes/Future Shop) is obvious when you think about it: after the initial round of development there was no point building any more until it was obvious the subway was coming. Too late for big box, too early for mixed use.

So, in answer to the question above, yes all that land is vacant because it's waiting for the subway. I've seen the rough plans for that segment and while it will undoubtedly take time it's not going to be sitting in the middle of nowhere for long. (Some of the adjacent construction can't go ahead yet until the cut-and-cover is complete, but it will.)

Those plans also include NO surface parking whatsoever at full build-out so the 905 sixrings is talking about is the 905 of the past. It doesn't apply to a provincially designated growth node built around a subway station in 2011.

Who are you? Because I think I'm in love with you after this post. :D

The 905 is slowly, moving from it's "905 of the past" stigma, and I'm sure it will always be there - just like the 905 point of view of downtowners; but yesterday as I was heading to an appointment I was stopped at Highway 7 and Weston Road; Yes, the big box stores, parking lots and gas stations were all still prevalent; however I noticed people (young people mostly) on bikes, kids, students and workers and bus stops; full and plentiful buses and of course, redevelopment.

It makes me excited for the future of Vaughan... but I'm still going to move to Toronto. :p

Was driving past here, and there's already a condo project called EXPO that is being advertised on Hwy7 just east of Jane St.

I think the 905 is going to become somewhat, for a lack of a better term, bi-polar. There will still be the cookie cutter suburbs for a long while into the future, but there will also be denser nodes of mixed-use centred around the intersection of major transit lines.

The development going on throughout much of Vaughan is the former, Vaughan Centre (I refuse to call it Vaughan Metropolitan Centre, I think we should stick with a consistent naming convention for nodes throughout the GTA) is the latter.

I think the 905 is going to become somewhat, for a lack of a better term, bi-polar. There will still be the cookie cutter suburbs for a long while into the future, but there will also be denser nodes of mixed-use centred around the intersection of major transit lines.

The development going on throughout much of Vaughan is the former, Vaughan Centre (I refuse to call it Vaughan Metropolitan Centre, I think we should stick with a consistent naming convention for nodes throughout the GTA) is the latter.

I would agree with that for the time being -- there's going to be a "limbo" time period.

I kind of hate to be this way; but it's definitely a generational thing; the older immigrant types and those that moved up here to get away from the city in the early 90's are going to be replaced eventually, by younger, more "urban" and liberal families, teens and adults, thus (hopefully) bringing in change. Something that an older generation didn't/doesn't want.

I would agree with that for the time being -- there's going to be a "limbo" time period.

I kind of hate to be this way; but it's definitely a generational thing; the older immigrant types and those that moved up here to get away from the city in the early 90's are going to be replaced eventually, by younger, more "urban" and liberal families, teens and adults, thus (hopefully) bringing in change. Something that an older generation didn't/doesn't want.

I don't think it'll change that much. When the baby boomer generation really starts to retire, they're going to be looking to downsize, which means condos or townhouses close to where the 'action' is. This is what is going to keep Toronto's downtown condo market afloat for the next 20+ years. This is going to leave a large stock of single detached housing, particularly in the outer 416 and inner 905. It will be debatable whether or not these properties will be densified by the new owners, of if they will stay the same as they are now.

The reality is that there will always be a demand for single detached housing. The debate is whether the built form they will take will be the 60-90s style subdivision, or if these large swaths of suburbia will be redeveloped into Cornell-style subdivisions. I personally think it will be a mix of both.

Back