Toronto Nobu Residences Toronto | 156.66m | 45s | Madison Group | Teeple Architects

Uninspiring schlock. P+S should be boycotted out of their complacency.

Are we talking about the same project? This is in no way remotely schlocky; it is instead somewhat reminiscent of the original Nicholas Residences "peanut" design:

ScreenShot106.jpg

Last edited:
You're misreading the drawing Mongo, the rounded element is largely the mechanical box. You'll notice that a bland, cruciform plan is the norm right up to floor 49, making this pile more akin to Tridel's Ovulation than the St. Nick Peanut.

Uninspiring schlock. P+S should be boycotted out of their complacency.

So it's okay to call this design uninspiring, but not the crap aA is putting up at 501 Yonge?

To quote you from the 501 Yonge Thread:

"Relax children. It's incredible to read such passionate vitriol regarding something about which the writers know naught. TheKingEast is the only one who seems to have it right in the last twenty or so posts - the plans are private and cannot be revealed at this point, but once they are, it'll have been worth the wait."

You're misreading the drawing Mongo, the rounded element is largely the mechanical box. You'll notice that a bland, cruciform plan is the norm right up to floor 49, making this pile more akin to Tridel's Ovulation than the St. Nick Peanut.

The way I read it is that the righthand section of the rounded element is 49s plus mechanical. You can see the curved balconies in the drawing above. It's going to look kind of odd.

great to see infills are being styled to the details.

And i can't see what could possibly be heritage about the red brick building in the above picture.

If you look at the building up close in person, it really does have some greatly detailed brickwork that's well worth keeping.

So it's okay to call this design uninspiring, but not the crap aA is putting up at 501 Yonge?

To quote you from the 501 Yonge Thread:

"Relax children. It's incredible to read such passionate vitriol regarding something about which the writers know naught. TheKingEast is the only one who seems to have it right in the last twenty or so posts - the plans are private and cannot be revealed at this point, but once they are, it'll have been worth the wait."

It's ProjectEnd, so don't waste your time. P R E T E N T I O U S

The curved part on the right in the above diagram does go from the 6th storey. It is going to look rather strange! Kind of reminds me a bit of Conservatory Group's Widesuites in Mississauga.

What a thing to say. Why not then take the few people that matter and create a new forum? Everyone benefits including urbantoronto which no longer would have the pretention of those few that may have read a book or two on a subject that is almost entirely subjective. We'll fight for Ed though.

The same people that generalize about Toronto being some provincial village are the same that accept 501 Yonge !?! I'm a big fan of Clewes Wallman Bergman however, their hands are tied but the condo industry's huge budgetary constraints. You can critique without having to remove ones lips from their asses.

Last edited:
It's a shame that the City will not allow anything taller than the Festival Tower/Lightbox in this district. The result could easily be predicted -- all the developers end up building right up to that limit, resulting in a flat-topped skyline with no real variation in heights. This will be very obvious once all the proposed projects get built.

Consider taking a walk around the area (which once had a 30 metre height limit in effect). There are to be seven new towers ranging from 35 to 47 floors proposed for the immediate area. Take a look at the streets and lane ways and imagine how services and access to parking are to be accommodated with all this development? I know people have a fetish for tall buildings, but the massive increase in density poses very real problems to the area, problems that the developers tend not to care about.

And here I was hoping that renders had been released.

Still, this project is not really a "box". The elliptical portion on the right hand side of the tower will rise from the 8th floor podium to the 49th floor top, so it should provide visual interest when the building is viewed from the north, east or south.

Back