News   Apr 16, 2024
 170     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.3K     5 

650 Bay St Boutique Hotel Redevelopment (Lanterra, ?s, ?)

androiduk

Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't think there's an existing thread for this project. This building is at the corner of Bay & Elm and is supposed to be a boutique hotel. Work seems to be moving along slowly. They were hydro blasting the lower level last week.

650bayn27a.jpg

650bayn27b.jpg

Last edited:
^^exactly, it used to be. i think the building looks very unnatractive now, and although i'm all for saving heritage buildings and would rather see it kept if the design on the new building is bad then i'd rather have it kept. but right now this building is a disaster. :) lets hope its something good

Good news - looks like they'll be restoring it to its original red brick splendour. It would be a mistake to demolish this building, especially seeing how the area was transformed into its current woeful state through precisely such insensitivity.

Good news - looks like they'll be restoring it to its original red brick splendour. It would be a mistake to demolish this building, especially seeing how the area was transformed into its current woeful state through precisely such insensitivity.

Well i hope the guy that is restoring this mess has deep pockets.

How can this thing even be restored without being torn down and completely rebuilt? Every time I walk past it, I am SURE it is going to collapse onto me. The brick, at the very least, is done for. It's so crumbly they won't be able to keep it.

How can this thing even be restored without being torn down and completely rebuilt? Every time I walk past it, I am SURE it is going to collapse onto me. The brick, at the very least, is done for. It's so crumbly they won't be able to keep it.

Maybe the hype is to restore, fix it whatever you want to call it, to get more bucks out of a developer..sorry i dont know whats next door or even if its worth buying for development.

I remembered this thing covered in wood siding before. It should look impeccable once that paint's blasted away despite the occasional corroded brick. Definitely not worth demolishing.

Yeah that does look a little iffy right there, but it could simply be just the facade that's crumbling; not the structure itself. A peeled orange versus an in tact one, if you know what I mean. And it's not as if it's been exposed to the elements for decades in that condition. Wood siding was covering the damage for a a number of years.

Last edited:
Guess it kind of depends when it was built. It looks like pure bricks and mortar masonry there, so if that is crumbling, then the entire wall is crumbling. I would say it would have to be demo'd and rebuilt if its one of those facade redo's....

There are a few courses turned on their sides which would indicate a supporting brick wall but I only see them on the basement level. I would also age it to the late 19th century where a wooden supporting structure with a brick veneer was most common.

Back