699     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 451     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 233     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
hitler? ford is no nazi, he's a "not-see". ford can't see the big picture, he's blinded by staples, paper clips & other miscellaneous office supplies.

To use an architectural analogy:

Miller's inaugural
cityhalloutside_001.jpg

Ford's inaugural
Mecca%20Clock1.jpg

AG:

What's "right" (if you assume subway = right, that is) for just Scarborough isn't what's right for the City of Toronto as a whole.

AoD

Exactly. I'd love to see a comprehensive subway system, but Ford's transportation plans basically involve giving the northern suburbs a line (via the extended Sheppard line), and extending the Bloor line to the STC. That's great, but he's got nothing else. Many areas of the city desperately in need of transit will be ignored.

Transit City isn't perfect, but it will help a lot of people.

...says the guy employed by the CBC.

yeah, and say the fashion designer being paid high six-figures for his vulgarity. Quite frankly though he is just saying what Ford can't say in public. What better way than to get someone to say it for him? But in any case, the circus is over (for now) and let's focus on the substantive.

AoD

Last edited:
I wonder who paid for the reception Ford invited everyone to after his speech? Has the gravy train really ended? :p

I'm not aware of anyone in a speech, televised or not, referring to Ford as a fat piece of s**t.

What, $50,000 compared to $3-billion for Ford's unnecessary gravy-train subways? Are you kidding me?

Anyone got some tar, feathers, and some rail (I think I saw some stored near Parliamenent recently. We need to run this freak show out of town.

I'm yet to see any media reports. Let's see what was really said, and what the context is. I just don't believe that Cherry is that kind of scum.

There is a lot of Ford bashing here, which is a legitimate for of expression (since you all hate him), but turn the tables and it becomes offensive. Your frequent references to the wife beating bigot come to mind.

Subway will be used heavily, unlike the bike lanes down Sheppard East here in far east Scarborough and the even better, the lane on Conlins Road. Have watched them sit vacant for years now, while road capacity expansion in the north-south route that is Morningside Road is nil, in spite of the thousands of new homes built north of the CPR tracks that have added hundreds of cars to the road at peak times. The few users in the bike lanes a day, and I'm here daily, so I see it first hand (but I'm not here at night, so maybe that is when all the cyclists come out), doesn't justify the expense. Use = relevance, and they are not relevant. I invite you to come up here and see for yourself the value in that investment. I imagine the Scarborough Subway would see thousands of users per day in it's first year.

Last edited:
Sounds like you see those two things as somehow analogous - fully in line with the rest of your less-than-meticulously-thought-out logic.

As stated earlier, better thought out than the bike lanes on Sheppard East in far eastern Scarborough... nice thoroughfare for tumble-weed. I guess if you build it, they won't come applies.

Where were all the armchair auditors during Millers reign?

...They were in council, elected in Ward 2?

I didn't (and don't) particularly care about using a small amount of city money to host social gatherings but apparently a lot of Ford voters did. Just find it interesting is all.

Ford bashing and Miller bashing and general political bashing is all well and good but council chambers deserves more respect than what we saw today. There's a time and a place and this certainly wasn't it. I challenge you to find an example of something similar happening under the watch of any other mayor in Toronto's history that didn't result in a censure or other consequences.

Your frequent references to the wife beating bigot come to mind.
Well, it turns out that when he was arrested for spousal abuse, it was primarily threatening to kill Renata Ford, rather than beating her - I guess the police were mistaken when they reported she was injured.

Though what's your point? This is the man we elected, a lying and bigoted drunk who makes threats against people. We should be honest about this ... why would one want to hide the truth?

Subway will be used heavily ...
There's no indication that there will even be a subway in far east Scarborough. Not sure where you are getting the ridership numbers from.

I imagine the Scarborough Subway would see thousands of users per day in it's first year.
Do you really think it would be that low? If LRT can handle a hundreds thousands per day, why would we need subway for only thousands? TTC has routes with thousands of riders per day that only have 2 buses assigned to them at peak!

Ford's budget is shaping up to look very challenging. Cutting the car tax on Jan 1 is apparently going to cost $64 million. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...x-is-axed-on-jan-1/article1829201/?cmpid=rss1

However, the $282-million surplus doesn't mean Toronto's municipal government has cash to burn next year. City finance officials earlier projected that Toronto would start the 2011 budget cycle $503-million in the hole; now the shortfall will be $221-million, plus the revenue lost through cutting the car tax. Mayor Ford has also pledged to freeze property taxes next year, denying Toronto another potential source of money to balance its books as required by provincial law.

That's a $285 million shortfall. Without a property tax increase, where's the cash going to come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back