473     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Rob Ford wants subways, not streetcars

Ansem

Banned
Member Bio
Reaction score
http://network.nationalpost.com/NP/...28/rob-ford-wants-subways-not-streetcars.aspx

Mayoral candidate Rob Ford says he would scrap the Transit City light rail plan in the absence of full funding from the province, and try to build subways instead.

Mr. Ford has always been against streetcars, and he said a vote for him would be a vote against expanding that mode of transit. "People want subways," he said today.

While he hasn't developed a subway roll out plan, Mr. Ford said he would look at selling the air rights on top of stations to pay for tunneling underground. Mayoral candidate Sarah Thomson was the first to call for subways and would institute a $5 rush hour toll on the Gardiner and the DVP to pay for it.

"Unless the federal government comes to the table, our only option is the private sector," said Mr. Ford.

Light rail proponents in Toronto have said that ridership doesn't warrant subways, and they cost significantly more.

At a meeting earlier this year about the Eglinton LRT — which included many in the audience clamoring for subways — Transit City staff said the projected ridership along the midtown thoroughfare is about half of the peak 10,000 passengers per hour that a subway demands. Staff also said a subway costs about $250 to $300-million per kilometre, and on average it costs about $50-million per kilometre for light rail.

The provincial government had committed over $9-billion in funding for a slate of new routes, but recently decided to delay a chunk of funding.

"If we get money, I'll take anything I can," said Mr. Ford. "As of now there's no sense in planning for it, if you don't have the money." He mentioned Sheppard and the Eglinton line as two possible subway candidates. "I know there is a push to finish the Sheppard subway," he said. "We could look at doing Eglinton... whatever the people want. This is all after public consultation, the whole nine yards."

Read more: http://network.nationalpost.com/NP/...nts-subways-not-streetcars.aspx#ixzz0mVm890t2

Finally someone who gets it...

You get my vote
Your going to vote for someone who is best known for his drunken antics, racist comments, and being charged for wife-beating, simply because you like his subway policy?

Surely one should consider the bigger picture!

Not that his subway policy makes any sense ... how would a PPP get the income to pay for construction, and generate their large profits? Can you explain that? Surely it would be a repeat of the Union Pearson disaster.

Your going to vote for someone who is best known for his drunken antics, racist comments, and being charged for wife-beating, simply because you like his subway policy?

Surely one should consider the bigger picture!

Not that his subway policy makes any sense ... how would a PPP get the income to pay for construction, and generate their large profits? Can you explain that? Surely it would be a repeat of the Union Pearson disaster.

what's so threatening about a politician who listen to the people?
People wants subways...

We're not in the US. I personally don't care what he does in his private life, what matters is how well he can manage our taxes and wasting it on on streetcars is not the answer

http://network.nationalpost.com/NP/...28/rob-ford-wants-subways-not-streetcars.aspx

Mayoral candidate Rob Ford says he would scrap the Transit City light rail plan in the absence of full funding from the province, and try to build subways instead.

Note the operative word here being "try".

Beware of Ford. He's a bit of a loose cannon. Toronto has already had a mayor who seemed often unhinged. Let's not return to that.

Light rail proponents in Toronto have said that ridership doesn't warrant subways, and they cost significantly more.

My only beef with this argument is that it seems short sighted. They should build for the future, and build where they want to encourage growth.
I wonder if, by the standards imposed by the subway skeptics, the Bloor subway would have been extended all the way to Kipling or would have stopped at Keele. I doubt the ridership west of Keele met the 10,000 passenger-per-hour threshold that they think is the prerequisite for subway expansion.

Notwithstanding his personal life, I think the issue is that selling air rights above stations will not pay for the subway system. If it did, we'd already have a larger subway system. Sarah Thomson's tolling proposal could actually pay for a subway line.

My only beef with this argument is that it seems short sighted. They should build for the future, and build where they want to encourage growth.
I wonder if, by the standards imposed by the subway skeptics, the Bloor subway would have been extended all the way to Kipling or would have stopped at Keele. I doubt the ridership west of Keele met the 10,000 passenger-per-hour threshold that they think is the prerequisite for subway expansion.

Forget Keele. I doubt the entire Bloor line had the 10 000 pph when it first opened. By today's standards we might not have had any subways in Toronto. Good thing super stretched trams didn't exist back then.

Last edited:
Notwithstanding his personal life, I think the issue is that selling air rights above stations will not pay for the subway system. If it did, we'd already have a larger subway system. Sarah Thomson's tolling proposal could actually pay for a subway line.

because you're looking at it short term...

If you think long term, subway does pay themselves, with the growth they generate, with the densification they bring, with the higher taxes that goes to the city, increase in ridership etc...

subway pay themselves...

The problems in North America or specifically Canada, governments want their investments NOW or ASAP. Europeens got that a long time ago and they have the network that reflect their mentality

what's so threatening about a politician who listen to the people?
Because then there is the risk that the people will get what they deserve.

We're not in the US. I personally don't care what he does in his private life ...
When the police become involved in his private life, then it is no longer private.

The bigger concern though is the racist comments he has made during City Council debates.

The guy is the laughing stock of city council. Anyone who would vote for this alcoholic, wife-beating bigot really needs to think about the bigger picture.

Is this what we want representing our city to the world?

I don't think there is a single candidate I'm particularly keen on ... but I can't believe anyone would seriously consider voting for someone like this - no matter what his politics.

Because then there is the risk that the people will get what they deserve.

When the police become involved in his private life, then it is no longer private.

The bigger concern though is the racist comments he has made during City Council debates.

The guy is the laughing stock of city council. Anyone who would vote for this alcoholic, wife-beating bigot really needs to think about the bigger picture.

Is this what we want representing our city to the world?

I don't think there is a single candidate I'm particularly keen on ... but I can't believe anyone would seriously consider voting for someone like this - no matter what his politics.

I thought it was minor things, nothing serious like that...

I thought it was minor things, nothing serious like that...
All seemed worse than the issue that led to the end of Giambrone's campaign. Any given incident seems explainable in itself ... but there have been so many of them over the years.

I think that, of all the candidates, Smitherman is the likeliest to actually get actual money for transit construction. Good intentions are nice, but the ability to follow through on them is important too. Even if Hudak or Horwath become premier, the fact that Smitherman has cabinet experience at the provincial level will mean that he will have the provincial and, in the longer term, federal connections necessary to get senior levels of government to invest in Toronto.

Voting for Ford because of this fancy is like voting for Mammoliti because he thinks the private sector wants to build a Jane St subway.

Back