Toronto Bloor Street Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Bloor-Yorkville BIA | architectsAlliance

Tulips have been planted and you can see buds on the trees that are in direct sunlight. According to a worker, the trees in the shade should start budding in mid May.

granit10.jpg

Can someone tell me why the builders/architects of the Marriott thought it prudent to build a concrete wall along Bloor? Urban Planning cannot have changed that much... could it?

I took a similar photo yesterday from the north side but forgot to post it. I'm away for the week now on a laptop so next weekend perhaps. As I walked along on Saturday I imagined the street once the flowers bloom & leaves come out on the trees and I think it's going to look fantastic.

Can someone tell me why the builders/architects of the Marriott thought it prudent to build a concrete wall along Bloor? Urban Planning cannot have changed that much... could it?

it is precisely because a giant concrete wall is financially prudent that the marriott was designed that way. also, i'm not sure urban planners and architects of the time realized bloor's tremendous potential, nor could they predict how glass and steel modernism would come to dominate the toronto (and international) urban landscape.

Last edited:
I think that behind that ugly wall is not Marriott, it's the Bay store. The Bay doesn't want customers to look from the windows, the customer has to pay attention only inside the store, on the products and buy.

Those pillars essentially hold up the sidewalk from compacting the soil. This allows roots to grow freely for long distances rather than being contained in the concrete planters that we see scattered around the city. Trees with these conditions can thrive and live out full lives. We'll actually see full grown trees with beautiful canopies along Bloor in 10 years and longer.

Good point Metro man, that sounds like it will look very nice in the spring/summer/fall.

One thing I wished they had done, and it seems Toronto has never done, is adding that steel/copper? rim around the corner curves in the sidewalk to protect it from unwieldy turning cars maybe? It seems ubiquitous in the US, especially NYC and Chicago... I assume it's an old tradition.

Those pillars essentially hold up the sidewalk from compacting the soil. This allows roots to grow freely for long distances rather than being contained in the concrete planters that we see scattered around the city. Trees with these conditions can thrive and live out full lives. We'll actually see full grown trees with beautiful canopies along Bloor in 10 years and longer.

Just don't add salt or pollution.

Those are Silva Cells being installed under the new sidewalks. http://www.deeproot.com/products/silva-cell/silva-cell-overview.html

Back