Toronto Bloor Street Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Bloor-Yorkville BIA | architectsAlliance

If there is any spot on Bloor where there is space for this it is definately in front of William Ashley's.

Why Ashley's want special treatment? Why not Holt Renfrew, or any other store on Bloor? If this question is decided based on the number of customers, Holt's should have priority.

I simply meant that the sidewalk appears to be at it's widest at this location unlike the "cut-in" at Pusateri's. Unfortunately cars will stop there for pick-up/drop-off weather there is a cut-in or not just as they do everywhere in the city.

I just walked along the south side of Bloor from Yonge to Church and to my untrained eye the new trees don't seem to be doing so well. There were very few live buds and just as many, if not more, dead ones. Overall, however, the trees seem to be dormant...or dead. On both sides of Bloor.

To those more knowledgeable than me, is such late-budding//non-budding, normal for newly-planted trees whose roots may not have taken hold yet? Otherwise, it seems like all the trees will have to be replaced.

I just walked along the south side of Bloor from Yonge to Church and to my untrained eye the new trees don't seem to be doing so well. There were very few live buds and just as many, if not more, dead ones. Overall, however, the trees seem to be dormant...or dead. On both sides of Bloor.

To those more knowledgeable than me, is such late-budding//non-budding, normal for newly-planted trees whose roots may not have taken hold yet? Otherwise, it seems like all the trees will have to be replaced.

Much ado about nothing I'm afraid...
When large trees are planted, they take a longer to come out from their "dormant" winter state. Remember that these were planted in the fall last year which was by design so that their roots have a chance to set. The key to a successful tree are the roots...and this project has set the standard for the city. :)
Additionally as mentioned previously the trees on the south side don't get as much sunlight yet so this will further prolong their "dormancy". Just drive around the city/suburbs and you'll notice the same phenomenon.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info/clarification and for pointing me to the relevant post. I didn't observe the trees on the sunnier north side of Bloor to be any further along in their budding than those on the shadier south side but I'll keep my eyes open for any positive change.

Last edited:
Anyone know what's going on at the 120 bloor property? There is some construction at the corner but nothing seems to be happening there. Also, is the city going to fix the granite in front of that property. The sidewalk closest to the building is all cracked and a different type of stone.

Some shots from April 29th:

Tulips in bloom, trees in bag

4568201943_af1b0cb8a9_b.jpg

Peridot and The Spotted Dick have had no patio for the past two years because of problems with the hydro vaults that have delayed construction of them until now. The fence hides the reconstruction that has finally started.

4568206759_4e7e128450_b.jpg

And here's work on the hydro vault, finally getting underway. Another vault sits outside the Bloor-Yonge station subway exit at 33 Bloor East. It will be going under reconstruction shortly, causing the subway entrance from Bloor to be inaccessible for a few weeks.

4568204251_f1f4d3ca18_b.jpg

I don't think the Spotted Dick ever had a patio, did it?

Whatever they use, I sincerely hope that a custom design standard is used. Those new Astral abominations could and would add much trashiness (no pun intended) to the newly rebilitated streetscape.

Back