Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

Congrats, SA....Hopefully GG does not forget to include the big bland rooftop mechanical box on top of this future big grey/blue rectangular package.:D
:pI'm partial to boxy modernist buildings, but I do like 'em tall and slender (FCP, CCW, TD, WTC, Sears, Aon, Hancock), not short and stout (e.g. Telus). I do hope GG doesn't go a great deal shorter than the Bazis design.
The original 1 Bloor design, which you posted above, is utterly ass-ugly, in my opinion. That thing belongs in Vancouver, not Toronto. Its hideosity is exacerbated by the atrociously amateurish low-res render.

Strange Advance:

To be fair, the rendering is cribbed from the architect's flash website before the days of multi-megapixel renderings. And for all the design failings - the proposal does have one significant plus to it - it was meant to house a multiplex theatre.

AoD

Strange Advance:

To be fair, the rendering is cribbed from the architect's flash website before the days of multi-megapixel renderings. And for all the design failings - the proposal does have one significant plus to it - it was meant to house a multiplex theatre.

AoD
OK, but then I think it should have been done by hand instead. That one looks like it was put together by a high school student on a Commodore 64. A multiplex could still be incorporated. Of course, we peons don't know what GG is up to yet. I'm just hoping beyond hope it's something spectacular. A box can be spectacular.
And with the recovering market, perhaps we'll see something a little more prepossessing than the "something slightly more modest" GG announced a few months ago.

from today's Daily Commercial News, so posted with the usual caveat.....

CONDOMINIUM APARTMENT, RETAIL Proj: 1320817-14
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON NEGOTIATED/PLANNING

Number One Bloor, 1 Bloor St E, M4W 1A9

$50,000,000 est

Note: This project is preliminary. Sales and marketing are expected to begin Spring/Summer, 2010. Schedules for Working drawings, Sub trade tender and construction will be determined based on occupancy. Further update Summer, 2010.

Project: concrete foundation, cast-in-place concrete structural frame, fuel fired heating system, proposed construction of a 65-storey condominium building, with 100,000 sq ft of retail space on the first and second floors.
Scope: 600,000 square feet; 65 storeys; 2 storeys below grade; 4 acres

So how does this compare? How much retail space did the last proposal have and how much was it expected to cost to build?

A two story podium has me a bit concerned but I am willing to wait and see how its executed.

Some seem seem to be forget just how unreliable the daily commercial news is. You can probably get more accurate "facts" from some stranger passing by the One Bloor site.

Back