News   Apr 16, 2024
 201     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.4K     5 

Downtown Markham

Beware of surprise when closing!!

A friend of mine was so pissed off when their condo final closed lately. Not only the notice of the final closing was short, they had to pay an additional 10+k on top of the balance, not including the regular fees and taxes, it was called something like "increased development fees".

Not sure if this is common in all condos. But whoever to be interested in this should ask ahead before purchasing. I was considering this but now perhaps I will look for somewhere else, and not a condo.

^^ As in the condo charged him an extra 10k because they couldn't sell all of the units?

btw, I may be looking at a condo in the area for the next year or so. Does anyone know if there are any cheap, unfinished and reasonably sized (1 bedroom, kitchen area, living room) condos in around downtown that are still available?

I just started looking at this development now that it looks like its going ahead full steam ahead - i have purchased a few condos and always read the contract cuz the charges are always written out in full detail. i recommend to my friends and relatives too to take the deal to a lawyer before the 10 days are up just so that a lawyer can explain all the charges.

My interest in downtown markham has grown now that i have seen so many pictures on this forum of the buildings and i hope the next building is going to be released soon!

for those people who bought in the first buildings, you are very lucky because your investment with remington will be greater than those who will be buying a unit in the next building so the extra charges probably wont even dent your growing equity.

anyway, i have been looking for a unit on a higher floor to buy but the sales office has nothing - anyone know if the next building is going to be taller than the verdale buildings?

viva Transit in Markham

drum118;300356 There needs to be another bus stop than the one that there now as well planning on some local service said:
being the suburbs, there definately will be an increased reliance on cars, and no subway lines are going out that way (as opposed to Vaughan Centre for example) but viva is building rapidways out there. Now if the construction looks anything like the rendering, it should be nice.

viva_markham8.jpg

The image above looks a lot better than the failed infrastructure posted previously. I don't know how those areas are going to be able to remain competitive in a cost-driven world. Overreliance on cars and an environment that increases obesity levels doesn't sound very progressive. I could imagine the suburb turning into much Scarborough if it fails.

I ride viva everyday and notice there are so many orginzations reside along the hwy 7. IBM, CGI,CERIDIAN, Hyundai, TD Waterhouse, etc. IMO, the large demand in jobs and above Ontario population growth will definitely lead the housing price to go even further up in Markham, especially Hwy7 & Warden and surrounding areas.

I ride viva everyday and notice there are so many orginzations reside along the hwy 7. IBM, CGI,CERIDIAN, Hyundai, TD Waterhouse, etc. IMO, the large demand in jobs and above Ontario population growth will definitely lead the housing price to go even further up in Markham, especially Hwy7 & Warden and surrounding areas.

Did you want someone to share your sentiment ? : ) It's just a funny first post.

Anyway, I completely agree; btw, if you weren't aware there are also plans for a lot of office space in the downtown Markham project it self - on the south side.

Hi-way 7 east from Leslie to Warden (maybe a bit further east) has been a big employment growth center in the GTA - probably the second fastest behind the Mississauga airport area. There's also two or three office building proposals on empty plots of land on hi-way 7.

Oh just to be clear I'm not agreeing to your price predictions :) I'll never make such a prediction about any area, but feel free to go ahead.

Took a walk through, no camera unfortunately. The quality of the finishes in the building (I'm referring to the exterior here) is quite impressive. Overall though they're a little lackluster in dull though. But I'd take this over the majority of projects which lack any attention to detail.

Does anyone know which phase will have retail first ? Nexus I believe which isn't started construction yet?

So there is a ciniplex (10 screens) in the works for the area - here's a PDF with lots of renderings of the retail:
http://m1.wholesite.com/2010/11/18/7f65b9f1-23e0-b8c4-012d-a2707a430434/RG_DM_Retail_Brochure_lores.pdf

Cineplex will be the operator of the new multiplex. Not only the new multiplex will have 10 screens but also 3 V.I.P. rooms. This new multiplex maybe replacing an older one at First Markham Place.

www.yorkregion.com/what's on/article/1080113--new-theatre-coming-soon-to-markham

Last edited:
Stopped by, took a few pics -

S. Unionville Square crane in background...

Uptown Markham/Square crane is visible here too

The station is actually quite large in person - they should've put it closer to the buildings; its not as close to the buildings than a regular bus stop...

I remember reading a brochure about the design and functionality of those large, high-tech bus shelters. I wish I could find that information online...

Way back in October, they seem to have posted a new model on Twitter:

w2jsr.jpg

The entire development seems to have added quite a bit of height.

Last edited:

Back