News   Apr 18, 2024
 174     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 501     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.8K     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

I Love a Mystery

Thanks for all the interest in the iconic image of the site of Toronto's New City Hall.

Here's my final evaluation of your wonderful evidence.
The Goad map of 1910 is the clincher!

Attachments

• mystery.jpg
    mystery.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 539
http://antiquesndynasties.com/canadian_brilliant_period_glass.htm

"The Gundy-Clapperton Company

This is the most well known Canadian firm. It was founded in 1905 by C.H. Clapperton, a glass cutter who had previously worked for the Libbey Glass Company in Toledo, Ohio. Clapperton was joined by N.F. Gundy approximately one year later. The Gundy-Clapperton company operated in Toronto from 1905 until 1931. Pieces made by this company were usually signed with a shamrock containing either “G, C and Co” (prior to 1920) or simply “C”. The words “DINGWALL”, “G B ALLEN VANCOUVER” or “Birks” (inside a diamond) sometimes accompany the company mark. Gundy-Clapperton made both geometric pieces (which frequently resembled Libbey products) and high quality “intaglio” pieces. There is evidence that this company continued to hand polish some of their products as late as 1913, by which time most American firms had switched to the cheaper, but less effective, acid polishing technique."

Imagine that: a city that not only made high quality crystal, but dishes, silverware, carpets, furniture, clothing, fur coats, bicycles, appliances, tractors, automobiles, boats and books. And for each one of these industries dozens of other manufacturers that supplied them.

1917: Morning shift leaving Russell Motor Car Co. Ltd., plant at King and Duncan Streets, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Employees_of_Russell_Motor_Car_Co_.jpg

Last edited:
Nice to see a few past images of downtown's delivery lanes, humble and unsung yet even now very practical. Of those that survive unaltered in the core, one of my favourites runs east/west between Colborne and Wellington. Like the aforementioned Pearl Street, they're rare, un-twee'd treasures; preserved by their "secondary" status from the sort of fancy makeovers or big statements that have hit our main streets over the decades.

It is; just that it's not especially eyecatching or "important"--though its present context (and loss or alteration of detail) of doesn't help matters. And if I were to use Urban Shockerish fastidiousness of judgment (not that we should, of course), the lack of coordination between the central bay and its flanks is a touch ungainly...

Actually, I love the syncopated rhythm goin' on between the belly and the flanks of this rather special little building.

Imagine that: a city that not only made high quality crystal, but dishes, silverware, carpets, furniture, clothing, fur coats, bicycles, appliances, tractors, automobiles, boats and books. And for each one of these industries dozens of other manufacturers that supplied them.

1917: Morning shift leaving Russell Motor Car Co. Ltd., plant at King and Duncan Streets, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Employees_of_Russell_Motor_Car_Co_.jpg

Ad_for_Russell_Motor_Car_Company.jpg

Great pic of the King/Duncan area! The "skate company", - N/W corner of that

intersection was. for a number of years, the plant of the Pure Gold Manufacturing

Company Limited, maker of Blue Ribbon Baking Powder etc, they moving there pre

the 1904 fire from 33 Front St East, thence to 381-389 College post 1904-5. Their

position in that building was taken up by the E W Gillett Co Ltd after that above noted

fire had burnt out Gillett's facility at Front & Bay, (N/E quadrant) later moving to

Fraser/Liberty Streets. ("The Magic Castle") One day I will post my interest in both of

the above companies; it may be a delight. (Sir Henry Pellatt is even involved!)

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
Naiagar Falls

A little off-topic, but this was Niagara Falls 40 years ago!

Attachments

• aerial Niagara Falls - dry 1969.jpg
    aerial Niagara Falls - dry 1969.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 570
This thread is absolutely stunning. I spent hours on it last night marveling. Great work Mustapha and all. I had Music from the Twilight Zone playing and it gave it an other worldly feel too.

But amazing stuff!

Yes, we made the drive down to see this too. Was quite the sensation that summer.

Newspapers of the time described a skeleton being found jammed into a rock crevice - a falls jumper who never made it over the precipice but died nevertheless.

More here:
http://www.niagarafrontier.com/dewater.html

18100064.jpg

September 18 addition.

Piper from York. Then: 1925

fo1244_f1244_it7265-1.jpg

Now: July 2009.

DSCF1077.jpg

Last edited:

Love it!

From what I understand, after the 'shutoff', the engineers realized they couldn't do much about the erosion and falling rock, so they turned the Falls back 'on' again.

I don't know how this would affect the hydro situation, but wouldn't it be a fascinating tourist draw to turn off both Falls for a weekend once a year?

Back