News   May 07, 2024
 168     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 602     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1.2K     0 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toronto Star

Condo buyers may have to line up again
`No contractual obligation' to original purchasers, property's new owner says

Aug 21, 2009 04:30 AM

Tony Wong
Business Reporter

1cca1404429eb51a20a055ea79b2.jpeg

CARLOS OSORIO/TORONTO STAR FILE PHOTO
Hundreds of buyers who camped out to own suites at 1 Bloor for $500,000 and up will get their deposits back, plus interest, the original developer says. (Nov. 7, 2007)

A new highrise will soar at 1 Bloor, considered one of Toronto's most prestigious addresses. But it looks like former buyers of the condominium project will have to get back in line if they still want a home in the blue-chip neighbourhood.

Toronto-based Great Gulf Group of Companies confirmed to the Toronto Star yesterday it had purchased the stalled condo development from Kazakhstan-based Bazis International.

The new owner of the site at the corner of Bloor and Yonge streets says it intends to build a high-rise development that will include retail and housing.

"We are working very diligently to see what is appropriate for that corner, which we envision to be some kind of mixed-use development," said Jerry Patava, president and CEO of the company.

"Right now we are looking at what we can do, although it's too early to determine what exactly will be there."

An affiliate company of Great Gulf purchased the property from Bazis with a closing in September, Patava said.

Bazis, the original developer, had sold purchasers plans for a striking tower design that was supposed to be the tallest in the city.

Great Gulf's Patava said his company would likely be in touch with condo buyers to see if they are still interested in living at 1 Bloor.

"Right now it's a blank slate," he said. "We have no contractual obligation to the former buyers. But obviously they thought this was a great place to live.

"It's one of the most attractive corners in Canada."

Purchasers will receive their deposit money back, Bazis International said in a statement. About 500 purchasers put down $70 million in deposits for their units. Realtors who sold the units and the company have been flooded with calls from worried buyers.

"Bazis International wishes to assure all purchasers at One Bloor that their deposit money placed for a condominium suite is in the vendor's solicitor's trust account and earning interest," the statement said.

Great Gulf Group builds homes, shopping malls and office towers throughout North America. It owns the Taboo resort in Muskoka and its Great Gulf Homes subsidiary is one of the top five residential builders in the GTA by volume.

The company also knows the luxury market in Toronto, having built the nearby 18 Yorkville condo complex.

The privately held company was formed in 1975 by publicity shy brothers Elly and Norman Reisman. Their brother Sam, CEO of investment bank Rose Corp., was the driving force behind the Filmport movie complex in Toronto before selling his ownership stake earlier this year.

The sale of 1 Bloor signals the end of an at-times contentious relationship between Bazis and buyers who wanted to know whether they would ever see their units built.

Hundreds of buyers lined up for weeks to own a unit in 2007. Some realtors hired students to stand in line for them. Units sold for from $500,000 and up; the penthouse was reportedly sold for $25 million to a Hong Kong businessman.

Bazis's problems started due to the vicious credit crunch that began last fall with the bankruptcy of New York investment bank Lehman Bros., the financial muscle behind the deal.

Bazis developer Michael Gold had stopped payments on a $46 million loan in December. When the loan continued to be in default, a consortium of lenders tried to place the project in receivership.

The group offered $50.5 million to Gold. But he ended up selling the property to Great Gulf for a sum believed to be substantially higher.

http://www.thestar.com/article/684267

Well, at least that's over with. We can move on. I look forward to seeing something on this site promptly, perhaps in as few as 10 or 12 years.

Novae Res Urbis

Bazis mum on buyer
1 BLOOR SITE SOLD

August 21, 2009

Developer Bazis International has announced the sale of its troubled 1 Bloor condominium tower site.

“A well established Toronto developer has entered into a binding agreement with Bazis International for the One Bloor property with closing in mid-September,†read a statement issued Tuesday. “It is too early to discuss future development plans; however, further details will be made available at the appropriate time after closing. Due to the confidentiality agreement, we cannot comment any further at this time.â€

The empty lot on the southeast corner of Yonge and Bloor streets was to be Canada’s tallest residential tower, reaching 80-storeys and incorporating 500-condo units, three floors of retail and a six-storey, 132-room hotel. When the project was officially launched in October 2007 Bazis stated that occupancy would begin by the end of 2011.

Bazis issued another statement yesterday assuring those who purchased units, which started at $500,000, that their money is secure. The statement notes that “deposit money placed for a condominium suite is in the Vendor’s solicitors’ trust account and earning interest, as per Section 81 of the
Condominium Act.â€

Then Bazis had recently run into financial difficulties with regard to the site. The developer had taken out a $46-million loan from French bank Société Générale. When the bank ran into financial troubles a group of Toronto lenders bought up the loan. Bazis defaulted on the loan, a situation that Bazis’ North American head Michael Gold attributed to the ongoing global financial crisis. A court decision last month gave Bazis until mid-August to finalize the financing required to replace the defaulted loan. (See
NRU-Toronto Edition, July 24.)

If bazis described Yonge/Bloor as:
The best corner in the world

and Great Golf described the same corner as...
"one of the most attractive corners in Canada."

Then, by extension, can one not expect the architectural "wow" to diminish by the same rate? Thus, if the Bazis proposal was the bestarchitectural tower iin the world then the GG proposal will merely be one of the most attractive architectural towers in the city. Sigh.

If I had my way, this is what I'd like to see happen at this corner:

- GG maintains the hotel component of this project, whether with Sofitel or another luxury brand.
- The new development includes a large retail component, which entices The Bay to become the new lead tenant. They then vacate their current bunker across the street, allowing that horrid space to be renovated in such a manner that it opens up the street. (One can dream...)
- They hold an international design competition for the new project, which attracts a lot of positive attention. We get a pretty tower to look at and it also has a sort of "Marilyn" effect on sales. Buyers get a landmark building (and was the current proposal in any way a landmark apart from the height?), the public gets to gaze at a real world-class architectural beauty. Everyone wins..

Good call on changing the thread title. However, I think the floor count should really be reduced from 0 to -2, to reflect the loss of Roy Square. One Bloor East was not a zero-sum proposition, in the end.

So will we have a new thread when GG takes over, or will the title be changed?

Hopefully a new thread. But I guess that depends on what the building will be called?

I think a new thread would be appropriate, no matter what the new project is called. We were through so many iterations with Bazis, and there's so much history to wade through here already, that come Great Gulf's September closing, I think we should create a new thread. Who knows how long until GG has concrete plans for us at that point.

If bazis described Yonge/Bloor as:

The best corner in the world
and Great Gulf described the same corner as...
Originally Posted by Solaris
"one of the most attractive corners in Canada."
Then, by extension, can one not expect the architectural "wow" to diminish by the same rate? Thus, if the Bazis proposal was the bestarchitectural tower iin the world then the GG proposal will merely be one of the most attractive architectural towers in the city. Sigh.

Canada is a country, one with quite a few attractive corners, so I wouldn't get too down yet. Based on GG's past buildings, there is every reason to believe that whatever they build here, even if it turns out to be not as tall as Bazis's plan, will look better than Bazis's plan. Although I liked the podium of 1 Bloor, I was iffy on the tower, and I'm particularly happy that we won't get those idiotic fins on top.

I am guessing that they have bought the land relatively cheaply

I'm not sure how you'd think that? There was an offer from the creditors of $50.5 million that was turned down so I'd expect GG's offer was atleast that if not more. With that sort of investment in land alone, this project will still have to be of a grand scale in order to make it profitable...

Condo buyers may have to line up again
`No contractual obligation' to original purchasers, property's new owner says

Aug 21, 2009 04:30 AM

Tony Wong
Business Reporter

The group offered $50.5 million to Gold. But he ended up selling the property to Great Gulf for a sum believed to be substantially higher.

http://www.thestar.com/article/684267

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back