News   May 28, 2024
 291     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 597     1 
News   May 27, 2024
 2K     0 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
‘Mixed-use' condo to replace 1 Bloor project

Here is the latest from Brodie Fenlon in the Friday Globe and Mail...

This article seems to put most of the rumors to rest...

Matthew Slutsky
www.buzzbuzzhome.com

from: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...do-to-replace-1-bloor-project/article1259295/

‘Mixed-use' condo to replace 1 Bloor project

One of Toronto's largest home builders will start fresh and develop a new mixed-use condominium at the site of the 1 Bloor luxury condo project after buying the property from its cash-strapped developer.

Great Gulf Homes confirmed Thursday it will take ownership of the site from Kazakhstan-based Bazis International Inc. in mid-September, writing a new chapter in a cautionary tale of marketing hype, frenzied sales and the crush of the global credit crisis.

Toronto's real estate world buzzed with word of the sale, as realtors fielded calls from anxious buyers concerned about deposits and the future of the project – once envisioned as Canada's tallest residential building – at the corner of Yonge and Bloor Streets.

"An affiliate of Great Gulf Homes has entered into an agreement to purchase the property and it will be closing mid-September," said Bruce Freeman, executive vice-president of Great Gulf. "We are presently developing plans for a mixed-use project."

He declined to elaborate, saying more details would be released after the deal closes, but The Globe has confirmed the purchase is strictly for the land and does not involve the previous owner's obligations, contracts or design.

In a terse statement, Bazis said all buyer deposits are protected in an escrow account, as required under Ontario's Condominium Act. A spokeswoman said neither she nor Michael Gold, the developer's Canadian president, could comment further because of a confidentiality agreement.

Buyers lined up for days in 2007 when units in the planned 80-storey, $450-million skyscraper first went on the block. About 500 purchasers signed deals ranging from $400,000 to several million. The average buyer has $80,000 to $120,000 invested.

Anna Cass of Royal LePage Your Community Realty was one of 1 Bloor's top sellers, and bought a unit for herself. To guarantee herself a piece of the project, she rented hotel rooms, dressed in disguise and hired students to camp out in the days before it went on sale.

Ms. Cass said people still want the prestigious corner location. She urged Great Gulf to "be fair" and consider 1 Bloor buyers first for its new project.

"If Great Gulf is smart ... they will offer all the agents and their buyers first crack and first discount, at a very good rate," she said.

Great Gulf has been involved in about 10 major condominium projects in the Greater Toronto Area in recent years.

Garth Juriansz of Re/Max Realtron Realty, who also bought for himself at 1 Bloor and sold several units to clients, said he'd take his buyers elsewhere if Great Gulf starts anew with "inflated" prices.

"It will be a significant mistake to throw all the people out and start again," he said.

1 Bloor's problems began last fall amid the U.S. subprime mortgage crisis and credit crunch, when Bazis' partner in the land purchase, Lehman Brothers, went bankrupt. Mr. Gold sought new financing partners. In December 2008, he stopped making payments on a multimillion-dollar loan.

Local lenders bought the loan, then tried to place the project in receivership.

Last month, Mr. Gold agreed to sell the property as part of a court-approved plan to keep it out of receivership.

Gerry Miller, a real estate lawyer and partner at Gardiner Miller Arnold, said it's uncommon in Toronto for a condo project that has been fully conceptualized and well sold to falter suddenly. However, he said he would have steered his own clients away from 1 Bloor. "It was too expensive and unlikely viable ... it was just too big, too grand," he said.

Where's Regency?

Are you talking about the building on Bay St. north of Bloor ... wasn't that done by Plazacorp?

There are two with similar names:

THE REGENCY - Great Gulf - 735 Royal York Road (Royal York, between Norseman and Coney). It is a mid-90s, mid-rise residential building.

THE REGENCY OF YORKVILLE - Plazacorp - Details here: http://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/TheRegencyYorkville/

M.

Anna Cass of Royal LePage Your Community Realty was one of 1 Bloor's top sellers, and bought a unit for herself. To guarantee herself a piece of the project, she rented hotel rooms, dressed in disguise and hired students to camp out in the days before it went on sale.

Ms. Cass said people still want the prestigious corner location. She urged Great Gulf to "be fair" and consider 1 Bloor buyers first for its new project.

"If Great Gulf is smart ... they will offer all the agents and their buyers first crack and first discount, at a very good rate," she said.

Great Gulf has been involved in about 10 major condominium projects in the Greater Toronto Area in recent years.

Garth Juriansz of Re/Max Realtron Realty, who also bought for himself at 1 Bloor and sold several units to clients, said he'd take his buyers elsewhere if Great Gulf starts anew with "inflated" prices.

"It will be a significant mistake to throw all the people out and start again," he said.

Guess there's nothing like free advertisement and have your name circulated in a national daily newspaper.

This is the 3rd time I've seen Ms. Cass being quoted ... media hog.

The realtors are only worried about the lost hypothetical capital gains and commissions they can make by reselling units in GG's new building.

To reference Ms. Cass ... if GG is smart, they would EXCLUDE brokers from flipping the units and make the first 300 units to public only ... NO REALTORS.
Anyone who saw the newsclips or read articles about what happened during 1BE sales will know what I mean.

If Great Gulf is smart

Maybe she should be told this. "If you were smart, you should have done your research before throwing over a hundred g's on a project from a developer with no track record of building anything in this country."

Why should GG treat those speculators any different than the rest of the buying public. Sorry honey, the project you bought it dead. Time to hire some desperate students to stand in line again.

Well this is disappointing news.

I was hoping the project was going to go ahead WITH Bazis like some of the news agencies said yesterday.
Now it's going to be a whole new project, which means this land is going to be vacant for years, with no activity at all.

Well this is disappointing news.

I was hoping the project was going to go ahead WITH Bazis like some of the news agencies said yesterday.
Now it's going to be a whole new project, which means this land is going to be vacant for years, with no activity at all.

I'm surprised Great Gulf was willing or preferred to let go of Bazis' much pre-sold skyscraper in favour of starting from scratch. I actually liked the Varacalli design, and thought the corner would rock with the retail/Sofitel Hotel component. In any case, I do hope that an innovative design replaces the Bazis plan. One thing I wouldn't like to see is a mediocre 50-storey building when a grand skyscraper (perhaps with a bit of a public square component) is most appropriate at this intersection. Does Great Gulf think they can sell something here AGAIN at $1,000 psf - or more? Can they make a profit with something smaller/cheaper?

/\ funny thread tittle. o well 299 pages of excitement and then final dissapointment. hopefully great gulf builds something just as big or bigger. i doubt they will though:(

I'm surprised Great Gulf was willing or preferred to let go of Bazis' much pre-sold skyscraper in favour of starting from scratch. I actually liked the Varacalli design, and thought the corner would rock with the retail/Sofitel Hotel component. In any case, I do hope that an innovative design replaces the Bazis plan. One thing I wouldn't like to see is a mediocre 50-storey building when a grand skyscraper (perhaps with a bit of a public square component) is most appropriate at this intersection. Does Great Gulf think they can sell something here AGAIN at $1,000 psf - or more? Can they make a profit with something smaller/cheaper?

I have not paid enough close attention to the details of the project, but I would imagine:
- there are issues with the economic viability dates set out in the APS;
- Again, I have not paid close enough attention, but did they already give back deposits for the upper floors? Maybe that is just a rumor?
- the ratio of end-users to investors may have made it hard to get financing?
- maybe the designed building is currently too expensive to build?

There are a lot of variables that would have been in play, and there is not enough information to anyone other than the developers to know. But, I would imagine that it is not as clear cut as "...preferred to let go of Bazis' much pre-sold skyscraper in favour of starting from scratch."

Further, the deal will not close until mid-September. As such, I doubt any details / plans by GG will officially be released until that time.

Who is John Galt?

So will we have a new thread when GG takes over, or will the title be changed?

Where's Regency?

Are you talking about the building on Bay St. north of Bloor ... wasn't that done by Plazacorp?

There are two with similar names:

THE REGENCY - Great Gulf - 735 Royal York Road (Royal York, between Norseman and Coney). It is a mid-90s, mid-rise residential building.

THE REGENCY OF YORKVILLE - Plazacorp - Details here: http://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/TheRegencyYorkville/

M.

I was referring to The Regency @ 735 Royal York Road ... thanks iSlutsky :)

Toronto Star

1 Bloor condo dreams alive
Great Gulf Homes said to be the buyer; high-rise condo expected on site, but minus the hotel

Aug 20, 2009 04:30 AM

Tony Wong
Business Reporter

3aabac1b4bceae613c02fe5435b2.jpeg

Hundreds of buyers who paid $500,000 and up to live at 1 Bloor high-rise, illustrated above, are hoping development proceeds.

The condominium property site at 1 Bloor may have been sold, but the dream of putting a high-rise building at one of Toronto's most prestigious addresses lives on.

Industry speculation is that Toronto-based Great Gulf Homes is the likely buyer of the property.

``They are an established builder familiar with the area and with a good track record,'' said one source.

The company will likely commit to developing some form of high-rise condominium, although the hotel component may no longer be a part of the building, according to sources.

Calls to Great Gulf Homes were not returned yesterday. The privately held company is one of the largest home builders in the Greater Toronto Area.

The controversial 1 Bloor hotel and condo project was at one time supposed to be the tallest residential tower in Canada.

Developer Bazis International Inc. said late Tuesday that ``a well-established Toronto developer has entered into a binding agreement with Bazis International for the One Bloor property with closing in mid-September.''

The Kazakhstan-backed company said last month in documents filed in court it had intended to sell the property on the southeast corner of Yonge and Bloor streets.

Realtor Anna Cass was one of the first in line to buy a unit in the building. She purchased a 1,300-square-foot unit, and sold units to many of her clients.

``This wasn't just about making a deal; this is where I wanted to live,'' said Cass. ``This was my dream.''

Cass says she hopes the building will still be completed.

``I'm just a regular salesperson. It took a lot of hard work for me to get ahead – and this is what happens. It's been a difficult couple of years.''

Hundreds of buyers like Cass had lined up for weeks in 2007 to own a piece of the property, which featured units priced from $500,000 and up. The penthouse was reportedly sold for $25 million.

Jamie Johnston, a broker whose firm specializes in condominiums, said he warned investors to stay away from the 1 Bloor project when it was first marketed.

``I thought it was over-hyped and over-priced,'' he said.

Developer Michael Gold stopped making payments on a $46 million loan in December. When the loan continued to be in default, a consortium of lenders tried to place the project in receivership.

The group offered $50.5 million to Gold. But he ended up selling the property to someone else.

The 500 people who bought units in the hotly sought-after property are also waiting to hear what will become of the $70 million in deposits held in trust. A spokeswoman for Gold said her client was not granting interviews.

However, Audrey Loeb, a real estate lawyer with the Toronto firm of Miller Thomson and the author of two books on condo law, says deposits by buyers are held in trust under the Condominium Act.

``The funds have to be in place with the developer's lawyer or another law firm so they should be safe,'' Loeb said. ``Not getting back your deposit is not a typical problem that we would have.''

http://www.thestar.com/article/683145

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back