News   Apr 25, 2024
 622     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 517     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 763     0 

Speculating about a new start at 1 Bloor East

Am I the only person who is kind of depressed about this loss to the city? I think we all were very excited and looking forward to construction.
Same here. I was fond of the last design. Now, in typical Toronto fashion, we'll get, at best, a watered-down version that won't look right because the proportions are off (see: Trump with its wretchedly outsized spire). Either that, or it will be a decade or more before something proper is built there. It's almost achingly predictable, and I feel foolish to have bought into the fervour two years ago. I'll be pleasantly shocked if Aura and ICE proceed sans complications.

I'll be pleasantly shocked if Aura and ICE proceed sans complications.

They seem to be doing alright. Aura is suppose to start construction late August. ICE I think will be built. It's built by 3 big names. MLSE, Lanterra and Cadillac Fairview.

Tridel's buildings generally don't turn heads but they're a quality builder and if a design competition was held or a design panel assembled to tweak a proposal, I think Tridel would do a great job. Likely less to become a victim of Toronto's infamous, The Cheapeningâ„¢.

If there was a competition for a design, I would be more okay with Tridel being behind it. That's the only way though.

If there was a competition for a design, I would be more okay with Tridel being behind it. That's the only way though.

I think Tridel is over rated. Some of their floor plans for 300 front st were shocking, especially the lofts. :eek:

Rumours, Wishful Thinking, Fact and Fiction

That should be the new title for this tread.

From the day this building went to market, we all knew that the hype could not be sustainable. Peak-boom mentality prevailed. But many of us have been around long enough not to be swayed by that. Who remembers the late 80s? Or five years ago in Arizona or Florida?

So now its over, but its a real blow to the city and there will be repercussions to the new condo sales market, already struggling to make sales targets, and move 600 ++ psf product.

People have been speculating on this site for quite some time now that this project was dead. I was told one year ago from a source who knew the players in the financing aspect of this deal that it was a no-go. I guess for a while wishful thinking kept me half-expecting that my source was incorrect, and we would see this supertall get built. Of course we also had to wait for Gold to run out of his own hot air. But its over now. Let's hope something decent gets built. I would hate to be the new developer, facing all that expectation.

Last edited:
I'd love it if we could play with our skyscrapers and buildings as if they were block toys to simply re-arrange and shuffled them around the street grid at our fancy. If there were the case, what existing structure would you like to see placed on this site (keeping in mind that it would be replaced with the demolished verson of Roy Square).

For me, I think it would be wicked to put either one of these two completely different buildings at the corner:

1) Scotia Plaza
2) Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts.

Tridel's buildings generally don't turn heads but they're a quality builder and if a design competition was held or a design panel assembled to tweak a proposal, I think Tridel would do a great job. Likely less to become a victim of Toronto's infamous, The Cheapening™.

I disagree. Tridel would build just enough to be financially prudent - to heck with making a statement on this most important intersection. I would love to see a design competition for this site. Even architects from other countries would understand the revelance of the site and design something in keeping with it. Tridel would build another 44 storey “300 Front St.” esque apartment building, turn a tidy profit and move on.
3749869246_3d8f12d296_o.jpg

Last edited:
Every builder has a very different culture within each company and the leadership group/person at the various larger firms building in Toronto. You guys take a 30,000 foot level perspective of the development industry.

This sounds like every other builder.

....in Toronto. One thing Harry Stinson had a point on was the fact that financial institutions in Toronto won't finance anything thats not conventional - no risk allowed. Thats why the vast majority of buildings in Toronto are simple box structures - they vary by colour but not design. Look at the "Absolute World" complex rising in Mississauga - would you see that in Toronto?

Last edited:
he's just using that as an example... the point is, look at Toronto's current inventory of highrises. The biggest and richest city in the country should be leading the way when it comes to cutting edge and experimental architecture. Instead almost everything seems to be based off the bottom line which dictates square boxes... they have the highest ratio of useable floor space vs. lot size

Back