Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

So...does this mean that Blue 22 (as in the SNC Lavalin scheme) will be the "Union-Pearson rail link"?

Looks like it. Travel times should now be 25 minutes by my calculation. Fares for the airport link are unclear at this time, but I think given the circumstances this is a proposal that I can get behind. I seriously hope that the community doesn't pounce on the DMU issue, and I seriously hope that these new DMUs will be a new design. It's an opportunity to have a Canadian company design build and market a new product which has no other competition in North America.

I seriously hope that the community doesn't pounce on the DMU issue, and I seriously hope that these new DMUs will be a new design. It's an opportunity to have a Canadian company design build and market a new product which has no other competition in North America.
At the risk of focusing on specific words at an early stage, I'm a bit concerned about the description of the cars as "modernized", as distinct from "modern". This may imply that they still will not be of a new design.

This is great news, and is going to come with a great, huge price tag. If they want to save money by running it for a few years with reconditioned DMUs until electrification is in place, that's very small potatoes. Shine them up nicely, call them vintage, and enjoy.

At the risk of focusing on specific words at an early stage, I'm a bit concerned about the description of the cars as "modernized", as distinct from "modern". This may imply that they still will not be of a new design.

Meh. Wait 30 more years and people will fly to Toronto to ride in our antique train -- see SanFrancisco where every LRT in the city is a tourist attraction.

It's an opportunity to have a Canadian company design build and market a new product which has no other competition in North America.

Why not just dig up some Bombardier Talent EMUs and string wires along the corridor? It's off the shelf, it's easy, and the only other place where it exists in North America is the Ottawa O Train.

Until then I strongly recommend anyone flying into YYZ to listen to Flintstones music before landing.

The Talents in Ottawa are DMUs, not electrified, but they'd be okay as well, except they're technically light rail and wouldn't work on the Weston Sub. The only EMUs in Canada, apart from urban light rail in Edmonton and Calgary and the subways, are the AMT Deux-Montanges cars that were built by Bombardier and date from the mid 1990s, and run on a regular railway corridor.

The Talents in Ottawa are DMUs, not electrified, but they'd be okay as well, except they're technically light rail and wouldn't work on the Weston Sub.

Really? So what's this?

talent_in_L1_72dpi.jpg

And don't tell nonsense about different rail safety regulations. The Bible does not state, "Thou shalt introduce European-style trains on North American railways".

Sorry, but I'm not the one spouting the nonsense. I'm only repeating what Transport Canada (going by FRA standards) requires. Earlier in this thread I remarked how ridiculous it is.

From the Star:
McGuinty moving ahead with transit link to Pearson
Jan 21, 2009 01:25 PM
THE CANADIAN PRESS

Premier Dalton McGuinty says the province is moving ahead with a revised plan to build a transit link from downtown Toronto to Pearson International Airport.

He says the new plan includes a stop in the city's west end and a tunnel to prevent traffic snarls.

Metrolinx, the Ontario Crown agency that's in charge of the project, says the new plan will first have to go through public consultations and an environmental assessment.

McGuinty says the project is expected to break ground by the end of the year.

The project is part of a $1-billion transit expansion plan funded by the federal, provincial and municipal governments.

However, Metrolinx says the link between Toronto's Union Station and Pearson airport will be financed and operated privately.

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/574857

AoD

From the Star:
McGuinty moving ahead with transit link to Pearson
Jan 21, 2009 01:25 PM
THE CANADIAN PRESS

Premier Dalton McGuinty says the province is moving ahead with a revised plan to build a transit link from downtown Toronto to Pearson International Airport.

He says the new plan includes a stop in the city's west end and a tunnel to prevent traffic snarls.

Metrolinx, the Ontario Crown agency that's in charge of the project, says the new plan will first have to go through public consultations and an environmental assessment.

McGuinty says the project is expected to break ground by the end of the year.

The project is part of a $1-billion transit expansion plan funded by the federal, provincial and municipal governments.

However, Metrolinx says the link between Toronto's Union Station and Pearson airport will be financed and operated privately.

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/574857

AoD

I read that a few minutes ago and I am confused. The infrastructure is going ahead....with some augmentation from Metrolinx (relocation of the Weston station and a stop there) but essentially all of the heavy work was already going ahead.

The actual service is to be paid for by the private sector operator......so what, exactly, is it that McGuinty is going ahead with?

The actual service is to be paid for by the private sector operator......so what, exactly, is it that McGuinty is going ahead with?
Simply, the EA process that had been stalled for several years is being restarted with some modifications to the plan.

Simply, the EA process that had been stalled for several years is being restarted with some modifications to the plan.

So it is just a reannouncement of what Metrolinx had already announced?

Gotta love how we get these things going! ;)

So it is just a reannouncement of what Metrolinx had already announced?
No, the previous announcement was simply that Metrolinx would take over responsibility for the EA process, and that the EA would be restarted from scratch under the new rules that have been developed since the second EA attempt went dormant in 2006.

This new announcement gave details about design, schedule, and announced open house dates.

The announcement that they will do 5 new grade-separated vehicle crossings, plus an additional pedestrian crossing, trench the tracks through Weston, add in local stations on the airport service, and add Eglinton and Woodbine GO stations, renovate Dundas West, is all new. This is a significant announcement. Also new was the announcement that they hope to start construction this fall.

Back