1.3K     0 

RBC Centre (LEED Gold, CadFair, 41s, KPF/B+H/&Co.) COMPLETE

Jan 2

3162028310_40304c4cc4_b.jpg

3162028192_1d4744e1b1_b.jpg

3162027880_ed455a44f6_b.jpg

3161187163_0dd074c76c_b.jpg

Last edited:
I think this building looks better in photos than in person. That mechanical box atop the podium is really unfortunate and highly visible from King.

That aside, this thing is looking gooood. I like the logo--I always thought RBC's was the most noble-looking of the big banks. The lion and globe have a nice imperial ring.

Hard to imagine that this block used to be a dead zone.

For all the complaining on the Bay-Adelaide thread, RBC is the more boring tower, IMO. It fills in space but doesn't really add anything architecturally. Luckily the Ritz is about the steal all the attention on that block.

?

So, the lantern (still to be finished), the vertical slots (potentially lit all the way to the top with LEDs), the horizontal slot, the sloped sections top and bottom, and the podium with some fritted sections all adds up to a more boring tower which adds nothing architecturally to the city?

RBC's transparency even holds out the hope of some animation behind its windows once it is occupied, whereas that dull as dishwater BAC has next to nothing to look at and promises nothing either.

For all the complaining on the Bay-Adelaide thread, RBC is the more boring tower, IMO.

yeah, i'm torn on that...which of the two is THE most boring and ugly. i actually think rbc has a better look...at least from its narrower profiles. but they're both right up there as office-worker-shelving-units.

neither of the two are ugly. both of them are simply overly reserved.

things that could of made BA better: more dynamic glass, variance in form and structure, a more creative use of the fins. oh, and a podium that wasn;t merely a recreation of a once beautiful building.

rbc: height, instead of a fat podium, i think, wouyld have made this buiding better. that strange indent on the north east side is awkward too. again, more dynamic glass, perhaps a more exaggerated lantern. some stone/ steel on the podium maybe?

things that could of made BA better: more dynamic glass, variance in form and structure, a more creative use of the fins. oh, and a podium that wasn;t merely a recreation of a once beautiful building.

different glass...form...structure..podium. that's the whole danged building dude.
that would have made b-a another building altogether. perhaps a less ugly building. but of course, beauty is all in the eye of....etc.

no you're totally right, it would be a different building.

having said that, since it's here for good, and its not hideous, let's try to embrace it. regardless of its looks, it donates density, public space and discussion to the city. most importantly, its functional! a new home for toronto's business.

Eck, thanks for the update and welcome to the forum.

After watching off and on, while this building was under construction, I have now decided (maybe belatedly) that I like it. The vertical LED strips promise to be a distinctive feature. I'm still trying to visualize the completed "lantern" feature, but it will at least be interesting and distinctive, and I expect attractive. The building is generally a bit conservative, befitting its lead tenant, but has a look that will not go out of style any time soon.

?

So, the lantern (still to be finished), the vertical slots (potentially lit all the way to the top with LEDs), the horizontal slot, the sloped sections top and bottom, and the podium with some fritted sections all adds up to a more boring tower which adds nothing architecturally to the city?

RBC's transparency even holds out the hope of some animation behind its windows once it is occupied, whereas that dull as dishwater BAC has next to nothing to look at and promises nothing either.

You mean like, go raps go? :D

Back