News   Apr 24, 2024
 65     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.9K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 579     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
....if you don't mind the concept of Dundas Square, you shouldn't have a problem with TLS.

Hmm, I'm not so sure about that. These are separate, unrelated projects serving different purposes and I don't think they should be lumped in together. I think the only relation between the two is the City's attempt to rejuvenate the area. Y+D Square succeeds on many levels where TLS sadly fails on so many others.

^^ Exactly.

Dundas Square would have been a success even if it was lumpy asphalt and sewer grates and TLS would be a success no matter what went on that corner because of sheer pedestrian concentration in the area. That doesn't mean they've been a triumph for the public realm.

serious question: to those mentioning, continuously, the non-perfect things about TLS are such posts used as a catharsis or do you guys honestly think any post here will affect change to the site? i kinda figured if you don't like something you don't bother talking about it.

Continuous "whining" is fair game while the building continues to exist. Just as I won't complain about a crummy dinner forever, or anything else that is impermanent, anything that lasts is fair game for comments throughout its lifespan. Emacs, would you praise a building you love once when it is finished and then never utter another word again in its favour?

Furthermore... if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything? Are you kidding?

Would you be willing to swear on a stack of pipes (you know, the internet) that you neither work for PE or B&F? Not that you have to declare who you are or not... but I am wondering what your motivation is in trying to squelch commentary on this building.

Last edited:
I have a feeling that you don't really like people pointing out the (many) things wrong with TLS.

no. it just find it odd how so much effort, by some, is used to rail against a building. there are multiple reasons why this thread had generated so much traffic; impressive really.

Firstly, everything in the public realm, especially the built environment is open for critique since it affects everybody's life in one way or another.

i agree with you, although i'm curious how TLS affects you personally.

Secondly, we live in an open democratic society. If we take everything that is given to us without question, how are going to progress as a city, country, civilization, human race?

democracy has everything to do with a political orientation that favors elected government. i don't see how TLS falls into this. i do, think, however, discussions about TLS falls within the realm of civil engineering, urban planning and architecture.

no. it just find it odd how so much effort, by some, is used to rail against a building. there are multiple reasons why this thread had generated so much traffic; impressive really.

It really doesn't take a lot of effort to hate this building and be vocal about it.

Furthermore... if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything? Are you kidding?

i never said or implied such a thing.

Would you be willing to swear on a stack of pipes (you know, the internet) that you neither work for PE or B&F?

i'm a consultant for a software firm that has nothing to do with TLS or any other edifice that graces the world.

serious question: to those mentioning, continuously, the non-perfect things about TLS are such posts used as a catharsis or do you guys honestly think any post here will affect change to the site? i kinda figured if you don't like something you don't bother talking about it.

Yeah, like regarding Germany in 1939, if you wanna get semantic and Godwin-violating about it. Nobody should've bothered talking about it; just let nature take its course, so to speak

Let's all calm down and get back to the topic on hand. God, TLS is one piece of substandard, ugly, poorly designed infrastructure that is a huge lost opportunity for Dundas Square and an insult to all right thinking Torontonians.

LOL, I agree Archivist. Maybe we should just establish a bitching thread so that we can let it all out about our favourite Toronto abominations (TLS/Torch anyone?) without irritating all those inveterate city boosters out there.

Given that Torch and TLS are by the same fellows, maybe what we need to do is arrange a sit-in in the offices of architects Baldie and Frankless until they agree to take no more commissions in Toronto.

Back