News   May 08, 2024
 149     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 587     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 498     1 

Stonewater (was Idea Condo, Lakeview, Mississauga, Queenscorp, 4s, G+C)

Was Palace Pier built in an established community? Did it face objections?

There was no community surrounding Palace Pier when it was built, but motels and the old Stelco building and other light industrial buildings. I would bet that residents of Swansea had objections but they generally do to most development matters.

The sales centre in Etobicoke was worth a couple million on it's own - this will be a significant loss for Queenscorp.

A quote from the OMB decision:

"“that the proposal represents an over-utilization of the subject property…The proposal represents a development that is too high, too intensive, and does not provide adequate setbacks or buffers to adjacent uses. This is all in the context of relatively recent provincial and city planning initiatives that have clearly set out the preferred locations for the level of intensification proposed by the applicant.â€

And who says the OMB is a rubber stamp for developers? Not automatically anymore it would seem.

And who says the OMB is a rubber stamp for developers? Not automatically anymore it would seem.

There are plenty of developments that don't get approved by the OMB. There are also plenty of appeals made by the general public against buildings that are approved by council, one just needs to show up with their couple hundred dollars and they can delay a development by several months and add tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars to the ultimate cost of a development - which then results in higher unit costs.

Generally most developers aren't going to go through with the expense and time of an OMB appeal unless they already know that they have a very good chance of winning the appeal - which is why we generally see more applications approved then denied. Afterall why would anyone appeal a project if they know they are likely to lose?

The OMB certainly got it right with this project that was an inappropriate density for the location in a corridor where there are no plans for intensification or higher-order transit.

No higher-order transit? what are you talking about??
Its already there - The Long Branch GO train station is less than a kilometer away to the east of the site as is the western terminus of the lakeshore LRT.

That distance of slightly under 1km doesn't fit into the planning context for the increase in density that the applicant proposed in this location. Both the City of Mississauga and the OMB dismissed that argument - My point was that Mississauga does not have any plans for higher order transit on Lakeshore Road East. The 23 bus is all that's there.

A major revision in plans. Queenscorp now has an application for official plan and zoning by-law amendments to permit the development of 47 townhouses, including five-live/work units on this site (Lakeshore Road East & Delta Road in Mississauga).

That distance of slightly under 1km doesn't fit into the planning context for the increase in density that the applicant proposed in this location. Both the City of Mississauga and the OMB dismissed that argument - My point was that Mississauga does not have any plans for higher order transit on Lakeshore Road East. The 23 bus is all that's there.

Yes it does with the LRT rank 3 given to Metrolinx back in 2007/8

I'm not going to switch this to a "Stonewater" thread- at least not quite yet. Let's leave this as Idea for the time being for anyone checking in to catch the news...

And who knows, unless the townhomes are of a spectacular design, I doubt this thread will attract much more attention anyway. Interest tends to tail off around here for any residential under half a dozen floors...

A major revision in plans. Queenscorp now has an application for official plan and zoning by-law amendments to permit the development of 47 townhouses, including five-live/work units on this site (Lakeshore Road East & Delta Road in Mississauga).

i'm not fully versed on this project but why eliminate the condo tower all together ???
could they have not just gone ahead with a proposal for a shorter version of the building?
that certainly would have saved money on developing and marketing costs, and retained some sales if there were any already.

Back