Toronto St Lawrence Centre Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | CreateTO | Hariri Pontarini

Preferred choice for the St. Lawrence Centre Redevelopment Competition

• Brook McIlroy, Trahan Architects, and Hood Design Studio

Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Diamond Schmitt, Smoke Architecture, and MVVA

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • Hariri Pontarini, LMN Architects, Tawaw Collective, Smoke Architecture, and SLA

Votes: 39 49.4%
  • RDHA, Mecanoo, Two Row Architect, and NAK Design Strategies

Votes: 16 20.3%
  • Zeidler Architecture, Diller Scofidio + Renfro, Two Row Architect, and PLANT Architect

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thought in would be interesting to have a look back at the original when it opened in 1970:

Toronto_ O_Keefe and St_ Lawrence Centres.jpg

This historical photo really solidifies my opinion that the big concrete wall facing Front should be windowed at minimum if removal is out of the question. I am thinking in a similar approach to the Four Seasons Centre's face on University. Front isn't the widest street, unlike University, and it would provide for more excitement when there are shows, esp from across the street in the park.

Incorrect.

I don't know that this is a reasonable take without the caveat, 'in my opinion'.

You do have a fondness for brutalism PE; which most people can't stand.

Architectural style, as apart from structural soundness and achieving basic functionality, is really a matter of personal preference.

This is a case, where a popularity contest of sorts does matter; if one isn't completely indifferent to a building's appeal to others; then those buildings that appeal to the most are arguably the best; and those that appeal to the fewest, the worst.

Far be it from me to cave to the judgement of the vox populi who keep McDonald's afloat, my utter disdain for them notwithstanding; but really, it's hard to justify an absolute read that the SLC has inherent architectural merit; given that I know of less than two dozen people who enthusiastically like it; and a vast number who can't stand it.

While I won't always stand w/the majority; in this case, I do tend to agree. The building in its current form is a depressing, anti-social, unattractive carbunkle on Front Street, adding nothing of virtue in its presence; and this has been true every year of its existence, since its inception.

Others, may have opinions that vary; of course.

Last edited:
You do have a fondness for brutalism PE; which most people can't stand.
While I can agree to a lot that can't stand it...it is an art form of an acquired taste after all. Declaring most would require a degree of citation to statistically back that up though...

...sorry, it's pet peeve of mine that's up there with blanketed assertions of "everyone does it" and "nobody cares". That is, how would you know that? >.<

While I can agree to a lot that can't stand it...it is an art form of an acquired taste after all. Declaring most would require a degree of citation to statistically back that up though...

Broad-based polling data from 2020, from the United States:

Article:

From said article:

In the poll, Brutalist architect fares the worst.

I can't find polling data specific to the SLC.

Broad-based polling data from 2020, from the United States:

Article:

From said article:

In the poll, Brutalist architect fares the worst.

I can't find polling data specific to the SLC.
I guess your opinion is getting there then. I'm not sure it's case of people having terrible tastes in general, where a few that stand above those tastes are scorned upon. Or the as for mentioned acquired taste business...

...either way, thanks for least backing that up! /bows

"Broad-based polling"? C'mon, it's the NCAS. A 'society' that only exists to promote 'traditional' / 'classical' building or whatever...It's about as far from 'broad based' as you can get.

The polling data was reviewed for what questions were asked, what demographics were included etc.

There is no evidence of bias of any significance in the polling.

If you can show me polling data that shows people prefer modernism or brutalism then we can deep dive the comparison; but I imagine there will be a shortage of those.

Last edited:
I'm not saying that stylistically modernism would be more popular. But the questions asked there are of an 'unlimited budget', 'pie in the sky' nature. If they'd asked Americans, many of whom see little to no value in public spending, if their new library or courthouse could be made of marble and feature statuary, but it's gonna be 20-30x the cost, I wonder how they'd respond?

I think it's fair to say that most people don't love Brutalism. Anecdotally, I have had debates with many of my friends, none of which sided with me in suggesting that there is good Brutalism and bad. I like Boston's City Hall, I like Robart's, I really like 222 Jarvis. My favourite, at least in terms of Brutalist structures I know of, is the Charlie F. Hurley building. The SLA is personally not a favourite. I think parts are ok, but the blank concrete deadening wall on Front St? I think we can do better with that section given the opportunity presented in this competition.

Back