487     0 

Orangeville-Brampton Railway (OBRY)

RonBouwhuis_Xmas2022_rail_v2.jpg

Attachments

• RonBouwhuis_Xmas2022_rail.jpg
    RonBouwhuis_Xmas2022_rail.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
It's disgusting how we destroyed a perfect corridor, along with many others.

The solution now is to pump more buses on the road.
Yes and then when density suddenly needs nothing short of a rapid rail line, build a subway underground where the rail line used to exist, now filled in with housing. Both insanely expensive and comparatively terrible for the environment as well to tunnel, pour tons of concrete, etc than use an existing rail corridor. Stupid stupid.

I’ll say it again, this line would’ve been the perfect project for tram-train/Stadtbahn service.
Let's stick to one type of technology. We have enough problems with that let alone trying to convince people to take a bus that rides on rails.

DMU's like the UP express are fine for this route. Or a locomotive and two Bi-levels with a cab car.

In April 2022, the municipality began an Active Transportation Master Plan, including Orangeville Brampton Railway to trail conversion with a focus on promoting active transportation, trail development, and utilization. The goal is to create a livable and sustainable community today and for years to come, according to the website.

To my mind, rural trails are more 'recreation' than 'transportation'.

While I tend to agree, I spotted a number of commuters (clearly in work clothing) on the Guelph to Goderich trail, mostly around Goderich and Blyth, last summer.

I prefer a rail trail over having that land lost to private owners like homes, etc. At least rail trails are public goods that can be used for recreation.

PS. If you ever get the chance to visit PA, see what the state has done with many of their old railway ROWs - it’s pretty amazing. What’s pretty neat is that there’s a concerted effort to link the trails up into a cohesive separated network, as opposed to disconnected fragments.

Last edited:
I prefer a rail trail over having that land lost to private owners like homes, etc. At least rail trails are public goods that can be used for recreation.

PS. If you ever get the chance to visit PA, see what the state has done with many of their old railway ROWs - it’s pretty amazing. What’s pretty neat is that there’s a concerted effort to link the trails up into a cohesive separated network, as opposed to disconnected fragments.

That is the one benefit of the OBRY’s conversion. It will connect to two other existing rail trails, allowing you to get from Brampton or Tottenham to Elora almost entirely off-road by bike (there’s a short on-street detour in Fergus). Theoretically, you’d be able to go all the way to Owen Sound, but the Dufferin County portion of the old railway is in poor condition.

What’s needed next is a better connection between Elora and Guelph and completion of the Guelph to Goderich trail, which has several gaps where CP removed bridges, and improvements to the old Owen Sound line between Orangeville and Dundalk.

From Tottenham, there isn’t a clear bike-friendly way to go to Barrie, though part of the old Beeton Sub is in good condition near Cooksville and Thornton.

Last edited:

A direct link to the survey:

Back