News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 638     0 

Toronto Bike Share

In the graphic below, you can't see most street names, but you can generally surmise most spots chosen for the rollout:

View attachment 439575

Yellow is this fall's expansion.

Red is spring/early summer 2023

Grey is existing, Blue 2024, and Purple 2025

You'll be able to pick on some exact spots I can't, but it looks like a decent sized gap on Bloor, then Islington TTC, an intermediate location, then Kipling TTC, in 2023

Then one spot further west Queensway.

The balance being new spots at or near Lake Shore, including Islington and Kipling; plus 3 new spots in the Waterfront Park system, including Humber Bay Park, and Col. Sam
Yup, I am familiar with the map, and everything I said above pertains to it: the other one on Berry will be at Park Lawn, and the condo alley one will be at Manitoba and Legion. There should be, in my estimation, two more than what's shown above for an initial buildout in this area, as per my previous post.

I would suggest that the talk/expectation of profit from bike share is NOT the way to look at this. Bike Share is another City service that has some level of cost-recovery. One might want 100% recovery but, considering how it advances other City priorities (e.g. reducing CO2) it should NEVER be expected to return a profit. Should it get so much sponsorship that a profit was a regular thing, this should be spent on MORE service/bikes or lower fees.
Any service that breaks even or is profitable can scale faster and larger than one that requires subsidy. Though if the system ever grew so large that utilization rather utility became the barrier to growth, subsidies to lower prices and encourage use can make sense.

I would suggest that the talk/expectation of profit from bike share is NOT the way to look at this.
The entire tone of this article, from the “financial bleeding” (Really? How many city services are revenue neutral?) to the comments by Holyday (He doesn’t want a sponsor, doesn’t want taxes, doesn’t want expansion…) makes me shake my head. Somehow these articles and comments always come up when biking, transit, the environment or densification is at play - never when sprawl or road construction is involved.

A few more new docks are up and running or will be in the next 24 hours.

We're now sitting at 649 active docks, which leaves (a minimum) of 20 more to go.

In the south-west:

Willingdon Blvd Green P has been added, this is just north of Bloor and just west of Royal York:

1669215246450.png

Another dock has been added on Lakeshore Blvd near the western Beaches:

1669215306721.png

One on Parklawn, just north of Lakeshore:

1669215363785.png

Also a new one has been added in the north-west, along the Beltline (But doesn't show up on the map yet); at Walter Saunders Memorial Park:

1669215443845.png

A few more new docks are up and running or will be in the next 24 hours.

We're now sitting at 649 active docks, which leaves (a minimum) of 20 more to go.

In the south-west:

Willingdon Blvd Green P has been added, this is just north of Bloor and just west of Royal York:

View attachment 440470

Another dock has been added on Lakeshore Blvd near the western Beaches:

View attachment 440472

One on Parklawn, just north of Lakeshore:

View attachment 440475

Also a new one has been added in the north-west, along the Beltline (But doesn't show up on the map yet); at Walter Saunders Memorial Park:

View attachment 440476
You should do a review on Walter Saunders Memorial Park; it has a community garden, a newly renovated outdoor basketball court, some fitness equipment, and a children's playground and splash pad. Oh, and the York Beltline Trail "stations."

You should do a review on Walter Saunders Memorial Park; it has a community garden, a newly renovated outdoor basketball court, some fitness equipment, and a children's playground and splash pad. Oh, and the York Beltline Trail "stations."

I will put that on the list for late spring. Winter reviews tend to be a tad unfair to most parks, what with the lack of leafy vegetation and flowers, and also less utilization.

For winter reviews I would limit myself to looking at parks spaces specifically meant to appeal in winter (such as skating trails) or the like.

Would love to hear your thoughts on Sherbourne common/Aiken Place/Sugar Beach in the winter. It does have the skating rink, and we actually go there fairly often in the winter because it’s one of the few places in the city that you’re guaranteed sun sun sun, no matter how low in the sky the sun is.

Forgive me if this has been asked/answered, but do the e-docks charge the e-bikes through the same locking mechanism that the regular bikes lock into?
They do have some stations that can recharge ebikes, depending on whether they can access services at the station. The actual mechanism for how the charging works, I do not know.

At the TPA Board Mtg last Monday a report indicated that they have a preferred lead sponsor for Bikeshare, with the executive seeking authority to negotiate final terms. The name of the preferred proponent and those terms remain confidential:

Unless Bikeshare Toronto surprises us with a very busy last week of the year, it does appear as though they will miss their targets for 2022.

As of today, they have 654 docks in operation. I believe their minimum commitment was to get to 668; but their year-end report suggests 700 docks was the year-end goal. Unless they are counting some added
as capacity at existing stations, they have definitely missed that number.

Hopefully, 2023 will see them fulfill and exceed that target given the approval in fall for an early order of next year's bikes and docks.

Back