News   Apr 23, 2024
 957     2 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 431     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

It will be interesting to see how the facade reconstruction turns out.

A City is supposed to be a melting pot of buildings, parks, roads, etc. If this building will get "lost" then in a way its a success. (obviously we hope for better architecture, but thats beside my point).

If we try and make every single building stand out like some of us want, we end up with one hell of a tacky skyline. The great thing about T.O's skyline is it is a composition of large boxy glass towers. It looks powerful. Then with one signature landmark tower, the CN tower, it completes the look.

It will be interesting to see how the facade reconstruction turns out.

Funny you should ask. The scaffolding has been moved around the corner to start reconstruction, so Bay is viewable.

Facade reconstruction, and the new Bay Street canyon wall

dsc00998yg0.jpg

dsc01002ry7.jpg

You should seriously consider looking up the meaning of "pompous."

Maybe Yonge should be relined with overhead wiring and transformers to satisfy your tastes. Each third pole should be skewed at an angle and coated in yellowed tape and tattered posters - just to satisfy your aesthetic desires.

Overhead street wires haven't made or broken any city. At least none that I can remember.

You guys need to quit complaining.

Overhead street wires haven't made or broken any city. At least none that I can remember.

You guys need to quit complaining.

No, we should be complaining louder and louder and stop accepting the poor aesthetic state of the street landscaping in this city. I don't know how anyone who cares about this city and the urban realm can say 'stop complaining' when there are so many areas that should be improved upon.

No, we should be complaining louder and louder and stop accepting the poor aesthetic state of the street landscaping in this city. I don't know how anyone who cares about this city and the urban realm can say 'stop complaining' when there are so many areas that should be improved upon.

Overhead street wires are not a problem. - They don't destroy the aesthetic state of the street. They don't dimish the value of the streetscape to pedestrians, if that was the case, I'm pretty sure Queen West would be a deadzone, yet it is probably the most vibrant, and pedestrian friendly streetscapes in Toronto.

Overhead street wires are not a problem. - They don't destroy the aesthetic state of the street. They don't dimish the value of the streetscape to pedestrians, if that was the case, I'm pretty sure Queen West would be a deadzone, yet it is probably the most vibrant, and pedestrian friendly streetscapes in Toronto.

Just because the street is alive despite the poles and overhead wires, does not mean they are not a problem, aesthetically and for pedestrians at street level. Look, it is obvious based on your comments above, the fact that you feel no need to complain about this issue, or feel that the TLS is more than adequate and not 'architectural negligence', that we have very different standards. If things do not bother you,fine. But please allow us with different standards to complain if we want something better, do not call us whiners and do say we are elitist. Many of us feel we can do better and will always push for that.

Ditto College St.

This makes as much sense as me listing a host of streets that are dead and struggling to prove that overhead wires and wooden poles are an aesthetic and pedestrian blight.

Our point is you're making "something" out of "nothing".

Every street sanatized and the same is boring.

EDIT:

I'm also pretty sure that the street poles & overhead wires in Toronto will be buried in due time. No point whining and bitching about it. - Because it's something that's coming down the pipe anyways. And the fact we still have some around doesn't mean were not "rich", "not world class", or "not the best at every god damn thing".

Our point is you're making "something" out of "nothing".

Every street sanatized and the same is boring.

Sanatized (sic)? How does removing hydro poles make a street 'sanatized'?

And doesn't differing architecture, retail, building uses and aesthetic landscaping make a street interesting? Or do you want to rely on hydro poles and electrical wiring?

No disrespect, but your arguments make no sense.

Sanatized (sic)? How does removing hydro poles make a street 'sanatized'?

And doesn't differing architecture, retail, building uses and aesthetic landscaping make a street interesting? Or do you want to rely on hydro poles and electrical wiring?

No disrespect, but your arguments make no sense.

I didn't say that hydro poles make the street more interesting, I said, "every street the same and sanatized is boring."

And, bitching, whining and complaining about overhead wires and poles makes no sense to me.

So we're even.

Back