News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.3K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 636     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 918     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

This is a false solution. The real answer would be to implement all door boarding on every vehicle in this city and finally get in line with the standards of every major world city, and stop forcing everyone on through one door.
Start by adding a door open request on the outside rear door(s). Leave the door closed until the person presses the open door button.

^Sooner or later the industry will have to admit that the current low-floor design is simply. not. very. functional.

And sooner or later, TTC will have to admit that overcrowding greatly aggravates that deficiency.

I don't have a better idea, but I'm not earning a living as a bus designer.

The solution in transit railcars seems to be - have much wider doors that open onto wide open interior spaces.

I wonder why that wisdom isn't propagating to bus design.

- Paul

I don't have a better idea, but I'm not earning a living as a bus designer.

Having said that, I will offer this insight into my fantasy next-generation transit bus

- move the (electric) engine and accessories to the front of the bus, integrate with the wasted space between and over the front wheels
- adjust the wheelbase so there is the maximum possible (safe) overhang at the front of the bus, creating a zone for mobility challenged passengers with the accessibility ramp kept close to the driver for efficient operation, have a front door for mobility customers who need the ramp
- move the main entry/exit door to the middle of the bus, make it wider, have no seats (or fold down seats, perhaps) in the central area of the bus
- adopt longitudinal seating throughout
- with the engine removed, lower the floor at the rear of the bus. Consider an exit only door at the very rear of the bus.

- Paul

I often see people who are maybe closer to the rear door, push themselves through to exit through the front door. Again delaying those who want to get on.
I'm not surprised because of the number of times the operator has shouted to exit at the front (presumably because it's empty and the doors are faster).

At the same time, if you can barely squeeze on the bus in the first time, I'm confused how any other jurisdictions get you to exit further back. I've seen other cities with worse crowding than Toronto, where I've done the entire trip having to get off the front doors at every stop, to let people off, and seeing people who never got far enough up the front steps, to get to the farebox!

Most people are just going to do what they are told, and some operators telling people to go off the back, and some off the front - it creates confusion. Especially as there's a number of people on TTC who don't speak English.

Anyone know the story behind this bus?

It's been there for close to 2 years.
light.PNG

Reactions: max
Ibelieve that’s the bus that was donated for a mobile shower program. However, as is really common with bus conversions, the labour and cost becomes too much and the project gets put on hold or is abandoned.
If this is at Wajax on the Queensway, then yes, the bus was donated for conversion to a shower for the homeless. 7423 was the number.

The RFP is out for the new Line 2 fleet.

The 4 bidders include Alstom, Kawasaki, Hyundai and CRRC. Rather interesting Siemens and Hitachi did not make the cut.

@smallspy might be able to update us on what specs have changed from previous tenders.

I imagine we'll get something similar to existing, but one would hope w/LCD Information screens/maps.

I would love to see high-back seats, and a return to padded seats, but sadly expect neither.

I would also prefer to see pinhole lighting/pots/ or uplighting from just below the ceiling, as opposed to the long rows of harsher light.

We'd better have transverse seats in the specs, or there will be trouble! LOL

Hopefully all overhead straphangers will be the metallic, spring loaded kind, and not the free hanging rubber kind which give off a clatty, aftermarket modification vibe.

Did we previously note this tender from last month:

1665938442479.png

1665938466356.png

No more booths.

I think that might be a first for the system.

You'll note the phase 1; its my understanding that a phase 2 here will adding an additional entrance/exit from the platform. But first they're going to squeeze every drop of capacity they can out of the existing connections.

@smallspy might be able to update us on what specs have changed from previous tenders.

I imagine we'll get something similar to existing, but one would hope w/LCD Information screens/maps.

I would love to see high-back seats, and a return to padded seats, but sadly expect neither.

I would also prefer to see pinhole lighting/pots/ or uplighting from just below the ceiling, as opposed to the long rows of harsher light.

We'd better have transverse seats in the specs, or there will be trouble! LOL
With some very minor exceptions, the TTC wants more of the TRs.

Those minor exceptions include a larger operating area (and as a result, the emergency exit will be offset to the left side), and a move back to 2-car couplets that can be easily be rearranged if needed instead of the 3-car makeup of the TRs. From what I can see of the specs, the interiors will remain more-or-less as they are in the TRs. More special purpose areas not unlike the current accessible areas, but nothing ground-breaking.

They also allude to a D-class car which will allow for a 7- or 5-car train length, but really don't push it nearly as hard as they did in the earlier RFP documents.

Dan

With some very minor exceptions, the TTC wants more of the TRs.

Those minor exceptions include a larger operating area (and as a result, the emergency exit will be offset to the left side), and a move back to 2-car couplets that can be easily be rearranged if needed instead of the 3-car makeup of the TRs. From what I can see of the specs, the interiors will remain more-or-less as they are in the TRs. More special purpose areas not unlike the current accessible areas, but nothing ground-breaking.

They also allude to a D-class car which will allow for a 7- or 5-car train length, but really don't push it nearly as hard as they did in the earlier RFP documents.

Dan

Thanks Dan!

Back