Toronto The Pemberton | 215.79m | 68s | Pemberton | a—A

Telephone conversation:

Excavator guy: "I've been pushing dirt around for months and built the *¢§•%∆! dirt ramp in the middle of the site like you told me"

Pemberton: "We want the ramp in the corner instead".

Excavator guy: "Huh? Why?"

Pemberton: "Just do it... ramp in the corner".

Excavator guy: "OK. Where would you like it to be next week?". (Pemberton hangs up ☎️ ).

I likewise find this unfortunate.

I understand how we got there initially. This was a TPA owned site, and as a business, the garage was profitable, and at the time, there were still parking minimums in the by-law and while modal shift was underway, people hadn't yet heard of an 'Ontario Line' etc and I don't think the impending realities of climate change were particularly resonating.

What, to me, is unfortunate, is that someone at City Hall didn't nudge TPA, in light of the construction delays here, and the changes in perception, planning and regulation in that time period, to forego one (or more) levels of parking and agree to take some cash instead.

I think there was a window to re-think this, and that window was missed.
Green P / the TPA are extremely conservative and an utter pain in the ass to deal with. They are not forward looking, do not consider the climate, and only view their mandate as the safe traffic and storage of automobiles. It's really no surprise that we're still stuck with this white elephant of a subterranean temple to car culture smack dab in the middle of the City, minutes from two subway stations. No surprise at all.

I likewise find this unfortunate.

I understand how we got there initially. This was a TPA owned site, and as a business, the garage was profitable, and at the time, there were still parking minimums in the by-law and while modal shift was underway, people hadn't yet heard of an 'Ontario Line' etc and I don't think the impending realities of climate change were particularly resonating.

What, to me, is unfortunate, is that someone at City Hall didn't nudge TPA, in light of the construction delays here, and the changes in perception, planning and regulation in that time period, to forego one (or more) levels of parking and agree to take some cash instead.

I think there was a window to re-think this, and that window was missed.
For the record, we "Nudged" pretty hard --- nobody in City Planning or City Legal (or on Council) wanted to turn that particular rock over because of the "Risk" it would expose them to.

The like is to be read as a strong endorsement of your efforts; not of the disappointing outcome whose fault clearly lies elsewhere!
...it was November 2020, about 6-months into pre-vaccine COVID crisis, the City Managers (rightfully) had other priorities --- and our volunteers poking into the Ghosts of an old Rob Ford era Toronto Parking Authority deal involving people people they'd already fired years before was not going to generate any positive media.

...it was November 2020, about 6-months into pre-vaccine COVID crisis, the City Managers (rightfully) had other priorities --- and our volunteers poking into the Ghosts of an old Rob Ford era Toronto Parking Authority deal involving people people they'd already fired years before was not going to generate any positive media.

I don't want to be critical at all.........as I greatly appreciate your action on this file; but I do wish to say............that's oddly carrot of you ( which is more my thing ) LOL............vs stick.

The stick is the media publicly asking why precious City dollars are being wasted in this way.

To the bureaucrats in question; there's an easy way; and a hard way..............LOL.

I don't want to be critical at all.........as I greatly appreciate your action on this file; but I do wish to say............that's oddly carrot of you ( which is more my thing ) LOL............vs stick.

The stick is the media publicly asking why precious City dollars are being wasted in this way.

To the bureaucrats in question; there's an easy way; and a hard way..............LOL.
In Nov. 2020 we approached a number of different media orgs with the story --- all said it was "too complex" for them to cover... and many were swamped with COVID related stories at the time.

It wasn't as easy to explain as something like a "Heritage Soya Sauce Factory", for example.

There was a "Window of Opportunity" to reset the parking-deal, but nobody was interested in opening the window - or asking the City why not.

Today.
CF74861C-39A0-407F-832E-425738ADBFBB.jpeg

Telephone conversation:

Excavator guy: "I've been pushing dirt around for months and built the *¢§•%∆! dirt ramp in the middle of the site like you told me"

Pemberton: "We want the ramp in the corner instead".

Excavator guy: "Huh? Why?"

Pemberton: "Just do it... ramp in the corner".

Excavator guy: "OK. Where would you like it to be next week?". (Pemberton hangs up ☎️ ).
LOL. That's good!

And ...

Just move some dirt to the left
And then some more to the right
Put your hands on your hips
Then take off for the night

But wait and wait we must
The delays drive you insane
Let's do the Site Warp again
Let's do the Site Warp again!

😀

Back