News   Mar 28, 2024
 465     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 313     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 329     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Has everyone signed the petition to make the bike lanes and other street safety upgrades on Yonge permanent? The stretch from Bloor-Davisville had a complete street pilot project installed in 2021, and Council will be voting in January to either keep and improve the bike lanes, etc., or rip it all out to give the full roadway back to car traffic. I'm working with a group of community members to show Tory and the rest of Council that there is widespread support for this kind of infrastructure (here and throughout the city). We are calling our campaign Yonge4All, and we'd love your support! Please sign & share our petition, and let me know if you'd like to help out as a volunteer. Bit.ly/Yonge4All

Has everyone signed the petition to make the bike lanes and other street safety upgrades on Yonge permanent? The stretch from Bloor-Davisville had a complete street pilot project installed in 2021, and Council will be voting in January to either keep and improve the bike lanes, etc., or rip it all out to give the full roadway back to car traffic. I'm working with a group of community members to show Tory and the rest of Council that there is widespread support for this kind of infrastructure (here and throughout the city). We are calling our campaign Yonge4All, and we'd love your support! Please sign & share our petition, and let me know if you'd like to help out as a volunteer. Bit.ly/Yonge4All
Have a final design been selected?

Have a final design been selected?
No, the city is still collecting feedback from residents. One of the goals of the pilot project is to try out different safety features such as raised bus stop platforms, different kinds of bike lane dividers, bump-outs at intersections, etc. Organizers from Yonge4All will be doing a walk with city staff in the coming weeks to offer our thoughts on what's working well and what could be improved. I'm happy to pass along constructive criticism (and/or compliments!) from this group if anyone wants to tell me their thoughts on the design.

No, the city is still collecting feedback from residents. One of the goals of the pilot project is to try out different safety features such as raised bus stop platforms, different kinds of bike lane dividers, bump-outs at intersections, etc. Organizers from Yonge4All will be doing a walk with city staff in the coming weeks to offer our thoughts on what's working well and what could be improved. I'm happy to pass along constructive criticism (and/or compliments!) from this group if anyone wants to tell me their thoughts on the design.
Signed!
Is there a similar petition being organized for the Bloor bike lanes? I live around Yonge and Bloor and would love to petition to see raised bus stop platforms, particularly where Bloor meets Church and Jarvis since cars constantly use the bike lanes at those intersections as left-turn lanes, thus blocking and endangering bikes in those lanes.

Update from Becky Katz on the cycling infra at the Cherry/Lakeshore intersection:

1664291454321.png

1664291423457.png

1664291476593.png

Signed!
Is there a similar petition being organized for the Bloor bike lanes? I live around Yonge and Bloor and would love to petition to see raised bus stop platforms, particularly where Bloor meets Church and Jarvis since cars constantly use the bike lanes at those intersections as left-turn lanes, thus blocking and endangering bikes in those lanes.

Your post caused me to have a conversation.........

So, this is what I have to report.

1) Bloor from Church to Parliament is still on the books for a major capital project which includes improvements to the cycle tracks, and a protected intersection at Parliament.

2) This project has been deferred, yet again......(it was first planned for 2017); it is now penciled in for 2025.

3) This project is being handled by the major capital projects unit in Transportation and consultation will occur with the broader public.........maybe/hopefully next year.

4) Permanent raised bus platforms will only be considered as part of heavy-duty road reconstruction/resurfacing projects; however, there are temporary platforms on King Street installed w/the changes there.
One of those needs to be moved soon for a development; and the rest will be moved, tentatively in 2024 when the work to make the King St changes permanent happens. Make requests through the Councillor's office if you want dibs on one.
'

Relatedly, I found out a great deal of other stuff in my chat.... will share, as possible over the next few weeks.

Signed!
Thanks for adding your name to our petition! I am not aware of one for upgrades to the Bloor lanes, though I agree with you that the section from University to the Viaduct needs a lot of improvement. I'd be happy to sign and promote your petition if you wanted to start one! I am aware of this petition, to extend the Bloor lanes westward to the Mississauga border: https://www.change.org/p/mayor-john...anes-from-runnymede-to-the-mississauga-border - and this one, to extend them eastward along Kingston Road: https://www.cycleto.ca/Kingston

..... and this one, to extend them eastward along Kingston Road: https://www.cycleto.ca/Kingston

Among other things I learned from my conversation yesterday............. these people will be very happy, soon, all going well.

;)

But, absolutely important to mobilize......and show support for these ideas.

Your post caused me to have a conversation.........

So, this is what I have to report.

1) Bloor from Church to Parliament is still on the books for a major capital project which includes improvements to the cycle tracks, and a protected intersection at Parliament.

2) This project has been deferred, yet again......(it was first planned for 2017); it is now penciled in for 2025.

3) This project is being handled by the major capital projects unit in Transportation and consultation will occur with the broader public.........maybe/hopefully next year.

4) Permanent raised bus platforms will only be considered as part of heavy-duty road reconstruction/resurfacing projects; however, there are temporary platforms on King Street installed w/the changes there.
One of those needs to be moved soon for a development; and the rest will be moved, tentatively in 2024 when the work to make the King St changes permanent happens. Make requests through the Councillor's office if you want dibs on one.
'

Relatedly, I found out a great deal of other stuff in my chat.... will share, as possible over the next few weeks.
Wow, thanks for this update - very informative!

Re: raised bus platforms, I was indeed thinking about the temporary platforms (as on King St. and a few other examples) as a stopgap until a broader road reconstruction project gets underway. Would be a relatively quick and nimble way to keep cars from treating the bikes lanes as a glorified turn lane.

Not sure this belongs here but it is good news the City have finally awarded this contract:

BA208.3 - Award of Ariba Document Number 3489780251 to Grascan Construction Ltd. for the Lower Don Trail Improvements Phase 2 for Parks, Forestry, and Recreation (Ward 11, 13, 14)

Upgrades at the intersection of Bloor/Havelock are finally being installed.

Unfortunately the last time I took this route, the road quality on Havelock between Bloor/Dewson was so bad that it almost made the southbound lane unrideable... ☹️

8e33-Havelock20220121-1024x338.jpg

Screenshot 2022-09-30 115706.jpg

Screenshot 2022-09-30 115639.jpg

309318365_3349335138611428_2786665107876877704_n.jpg

309619707_831499448228164_3554927472601502447_n.jpg

309315532_1513621645733380_8799273026692006245_n.jpg

Attachments

• 309619717_437538721695011_8806241734227275663_n.jpg
    309619717_437538721695011_8806241734227275663_n.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 48

Back