Toronto Time and Space Condos | 101.8m | 29s | Pemberton | Wallman Architects

I’m certain there are some exceptions, but I do think more unique and quality restaurant ventures in Toronto tend to favour older, character rich buildings that are retrofitted. Hence why most of the new exciting restaurants like Bar Reyna and Spaccio in the east end are actually in Corktown and not St.Lawrence. Gusto 501 (purpose-built resto) is of course an exception, but still not in a new condo. New condo retail spaces usually lack the character and acoustic requirements unique restauranteurs are looking for. King East between Church and Sherbourne would attract some of the better restauranteurs in some of those old blocks but the history of repeatedly closed restaurants most likely deters them. Ardo seems to be the one of the only ones there hanging on
I think that's true in general, though King West has lots of examples of good restaurants built in new condo buildings, at all price points.

And King East is obviously not King West, but 3000 new residents at Front and Esplanade will make it a bit closer.

PXL_20220916_205048491.MP.jpg
PXL_20220916_205516509.jpg
PXL_20220916_210000493.MP.jpg

Unit layout is usually better in ugly building. They sacrifice the look for practicality.

While ppl complain about spandrel, it gives more flexibility in interior layout design
From what I’ve seen the finishes and layouts are nothing to brag about.

While ppl complain about spandrel, it gives more flexibility in interior layout design

Well you learn something every day... had no idea that using curtain-wall (or hybrid curtain-wall for residential) compromised interior layout design.

Go spandrel.

Last edited:
In order to attract a high quality restaurant into a new building, there would have to be consultations prior to the project even starting, and plans made accordingly.

No high end restaurants and retailers are going to move into cookie cutter podium spaces period.

Well you learn something every day... had no idea that using curtain-wall (or hybrid curtain-wall for residential) comprised interior layout design.

Go spandrel.
If building use more curtain-walls, they tend to put support structure, pillar or column in less desirable spot inside the unit.

with spandrel, they place more support structure on the exterior wall of the building

Last edited:
If building use more curtain-walls, they tend to put support structure, pillar or column in less desirable spot inside the unit.

with spandrel, its likely they place support structure on the exterior wall of the building
There are far more disadvantages than advantages for spandrel. More so when you look at the longevity and maintenance of each.

It’s just too bad this is one of the worst example of Spandrel in the city today.

I've posted my thoughts on this building many times above, but is there any specific reason to believe that for residents it'll be any worse than 90% of the other buildings currently or recently being built?
IMO, this is in the top 10 worst buildings that has graced our skyline in the last 5+ years, so, it is fair to speculate that the level of care the developer had for the exterior, will likely reflect to the interior.

If I was a betting person, I'd def put all my money on this development as having major initial interior issues and long-term problems for years to come.

it is fair to speculate that the level of care the developer had for the exterior, will likely reflect to the interior.
Some insider on the executive level of a major builder told me that generally good looking building cost 30% more. Money wise, almost no builder wants to spend that kind of money and it barely helps the sales.

It is the city set the bar very high for building approval. Of course city wants Toronto to look good. It's not their money anyway, and builder just charge more from buyers. Outside of the city core, they loose such regulation. Most builders have no urge to spend more, and charge more (with exception like high-end building King Toronto).

Even though Time and Space builder Pemberton is nowhere near the higher-end ones, however, they are one of the better ones in that price range, in terms of interior finishes and design.

Exterior does not reflect to the interior. I know some fancy looking building has awfully cheap interior. It depends on price range, and the builder.

Last edited:
Some insider on the executive level of a major builder told me that generally good looking building cost 30% more. Money wise, almost no builder wants to spend that kind of money and it barely helps the sales.

It is the city set the bar very high for building approval. Of course city wants Toronto to look good. It's not their money anyway, and builder just charge more from buyers. Outside of the city core, they loose such regulation. Most builders have no urge to spend more, and charge more (with exception like high-end building King Toronto).

Even though Time and Space builder Pemberton is nowhere near the higher-end ones, however, they are one of the better ones in that price range, in terms of interior finishes and design.

Exterior does not reflect to the interior. I know some fancy looking building has awfully cheap interior. It depends on price range, and the builder.
I totally agree with all your points, but the issue I see isn't just about cheap materials, it's how they chose to execute them. The overall design could have been so much better, all without spending an extra dollar.

There are hundreds of cheaper projects, but they've at least been thoughtful in their selection and planning for how it all comes together. IMO, Pemberton dropped the ball here big time and I think this will be a direct reflection on the interiors and lack of focus for the building's longevity.

Back