Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

When I hear "architecturally stunning subway bridge" I picture something more like this:
Screenshot 2022-08-30 141707.png

Or closer to home, even this:

Screenshot 2022-08-30 141954.png

Paris Line 11:
  • Four car sets that are 60m long
  • Car length of 15m
  • Car width of 2.45m
  • Doors: 4 pairs per car per side
  • Max speed 70 km/h
DLR:
  • Two car sets that are 56m long
  • Car length of 28m
  • Car width of 2.65m
  • Doors: 2 pairs per car per side (1.5m wide)
  • Max speed 80 km/h
So I'm not seeing why this comparison is funny.

Paris Line 11:
  • Four car sets that are 60m long
  • Car length of 15m
  • Car width of 2.45m
  • Doors: 4 pairs per car per side
  • Max speed 70 km/h
DLR:
  • Two car sets that are 56m long
  • Car length of 28m
  • Car width of 2.65m
  • Doors: 2 pairs per car per side (1.5m wide)
  • Max speed 80 km/h
So I'm not seeing why this comparison is funny.
Ye this is like the definition of Light Metro

i do believe the requirements MX was looking for was 100m long trains? at the platforms to support them. if i recall correctly their phased service plan had 80m trainsets proposed?

I feel like there's a big difference between a cost-effective design and value engineering. Metrolinx's render doesn't look that bad, considering what kinds of bridges we're used to seeing in the GTA.

Presumably owned by a Tory backer? (I have no idea who owns it, TBH)

It's owned by DavPart, which was started by Dovid Hofstedter, an Orthodox Jewish Rabbi, and is currently constructing The United Building and Avro Condos.

AFAICS, Dovid has not made any Ontario political donations recently (search goes back to 2014) but his son donated a token amount (well below the limit) to the PC Party in 2017.

Last edited:
Any indication of how meaningful all these TOCs will be to the overall financial cost of the line? If they could develop a thousand units per station and earn $50k per unit we're approaching a billion dollars.

Any indication of how meaningful all these TOCs will be to the overall financial cost of the line? If they could develop a thousand units per station and earn $50k per unit we're approaching a billion dollars.

That takes 20 stations, with 1,000 units per station on average. While some stations can get 1,000 and more, many others are in built up areas and won't get any new highrises.

And $50k on top of all other costs is not an insignificant amount for the end buyers.

That takes 20 stations, with 1,000 units per station on average. While some stations can get 1,000 and more, many others are in built up areas and won't get any new highrises.

And $50k on top of all other costs is not an insignificant amount for the end buyers.

Maybe invest in rentals instead and have on-going income?

Maybe invest in rentals instead and have on-going income?

Sounds good, but in practice that's much less common. I am not sure why, guess just the way how the market works.

Most of the time, they build condos in prime locations. Then some of the unit buyers rent out their units.

I feel like there's a big difference between a cost-effective design and value engineering. Metrolinx's render doesn't look that bad, considering what kinds of bridges we're used to seeing in the GTA.
The architectural designs for the Ontario Line stations are very well done, and Metrolinx has a pretty solid record of delivering high quality architecture. Of course I want the fancy bridge with all the flourishes too, but we’re getting a pretty good deal with the Ontario Line, as far as architecture is concerned.

The architectural designs for the Ontario Line stations are very well done, and Metrolinx has a pretty solid record of delivering high quality architecture. Of course I want the fancy bridge with all the flourishes too, but we’re getting a pretty good deal with the Ontario Line, as far as architecture is concerned.
And while we're on the topic of bridges, I must say that, from an urbanist point-of-view, I do appreciate how the Ontario Line will improve the walkability under the railway underpasses at Leslieville and Gerrard stations.

10_future-ontario-line-station-spanning-carlaw-ave-at-gerrard-st.png

09_future-ontario-line-station-spanning-queen-st-e-east-of-degrassi-st-riverside-leslieville.png

And these are just two of several railway underpass revitalizations underway at the moment. The Bentway, the Bay Street/Union underpass and the Davenport Diamond also come to mind. Private developers have also proposed and implemented improvements under the Gardiner as well. These kind of architectural improvements for underpasses are becoming standard in Toronto.

Back