News   Apr 19, 2024
 2.8K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.6K     3 

Canadian National Exhibition

I find it hard to believe the Provincial or Federal government won't come through with a package to keep it afloat. It's pocket change, and a lot of goodwill with an upcoming election (at least provincially).

Knowing Doug Ford he will raze the place and put up condos.

Honestly though, the CNE is a shell of what it once was. I blame it on the city leasing out all the buildings for unrelated purposes to make a quick buck.

I mean think about it.. the Music Building could have been used by the TSO, the Horticultural Building could have been used by the city as a conservatory much like Kew Gardens in London, UK.

Even the Government of Ontario building could have been leased as a government conference center (Similar to Ottawa). The only building that stayed true to its intended purpose is the horse palace.

If the CNE is to survive, the province needs to buy out the leases or at least mandate that they be open during the CNE. Right now, the only buildings open during the Ex are the QE building, Food Building and International Building. Everything else is privately leased and closed.

Knowing Doug Ford he will raze the place and put up condos.
From my limited understanding of the situation, I think the CNE and Exhibition Place are separate entities. As long as there is a demand for it, I would assume the CNE, or at least something very similar (even if under a new name), will continue regardless of the CNE Association's present financial circumstances.
https://www.thestar.com/business/20..._city_of_toronto_become_independent_fair.html
https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2017/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-99642.pdf

Last edited:
From my limited understanding of the situation, I think the CNE and Exhibition Place are separate entities. As long as there is a demand for it, I would assume the CNE, or least something very similar (even if under a new name), will continue regardless of the CNE Association's present financial circumstances.
https://www.thestar.com/business/20..._city_of_toronto_become_independent_fair.html
https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2017/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-99642.pdf
I remember when "Exhibition Place" was called "Exhibition Park". That changed when they created mostly parking lots for the trade shows.

I remember when "Exhibition Place" was called "Exhibition Park". That changed when they created mostly parking lots for the trade shows.
I only remember it as the “CNE Grounds”, and I thought the “Exhibition Place” name started at some point in the mid 1970s at the same time CNE Stadium was expanded for baseball and became Exhibition Stadium, though I can’t seem to find any specific mention of that being the case.
Edit: I don’t remember hearing anyone call it “Exhibition Park”, but newspaper archive stories from June 1974 have a consulting firm recommending the name change from Park to “Place”, then the change being approved in November.

Last edited:
Although I trash it all the time, I'm kind of missing the CNE this year. Just got back from a few days in Niagara Falls, where that carnival atmosphere is in full swing.

782701.png
From link.

Just in case it hasn't been mentioned here yet, the air show will be happening Sept. 4-5.

Last edited:

Early attendance figures indicate the CNE’s return has drawn larger crowds than 2019

Sept 2, 2022

Ahead of the final long weekend of Canada’s largest fair, organizers are seeing a more than 10 per cent increase in attendance compared to the same time frame in 2019, according to the Canadian National Exhibition (CNE).

The final long weekend is still ahead, which according to a press release announcing the news typically sees the largest crowds. Part of the draw is due to the Canadian International Air Show that runs, but also as a last “hurrah” before summer ends.

The final tally of attendance won’t be available for a few weeks after the CNE closes Sept. 5, but organizers are confident the figure should be more than 1.5-million attendees, with the hope to reach the record-breaking 1.6-million figure set in 2015.

“Regardless of the final attendance number, 2022 has been a banner year and significant milestone for the CNE in so many ways. We have persevered through two years of closures, recalled our full-time staff and brought back our seasonal staff, partners and vendors. Collectively we’ve put forth a spectacular season,” Darrell Brown, CNE chief executive officer said.

Brown adds, “It’s an incredible comeback story; and the resiliency of the CNE is largely thanks to our patrons who are coming out in droves to show their love and support for the fair. Thank you to everyone who is helping make the 2022 CNE a success — a year that will be forever etched in the legacy of the exhibition.”

Back