News   Apr 22, 2024
 777     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 260     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 665     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
I don't think the purpose of new buildings in that part of town should be to disguise the crass, commercial nature of Yonge and Dundas by, for instance, swathing new structures in "classy" limestone. That would be pretentious. It isn't an area that needs to be saved from itself ... or spun as something it isn't. While fully accepting the commercial character of what's already there, the new additions could have been thought out as clearly during the design process as our best new cultural or residential buildings have been. What a pity that approach wasn't taken.

...and such is the approach that's been taken in Times Square over the past generation...

Of the two patios, I'd say that Jack Astor's, with its view over Dundas Square, is the better placed of the two. Were they to replace their railings with glass I'd probably go sometime.

BTW, Jack Astor's has possibly the most engaging website I have been to in a long while. It is thoroughly thought out and goes perfectly with the restaurants' overall theming. Next time I want a themed dinner, I'm in.

Jack Astor's have cool misters on the patio to keep people cool during the warm weather. They work similar to those sprayers that keep veggies wet and cool in the produce section of the supermarket. I like when a place goes the extra mile and offers something unique such as this.

I don't think anyone could argue that they want the 'old' street back.

But I don't think Times Square need worry about losing its crown anytime soon.
However, why, oh why, did the city not widen Dundas and Yonge while they had the chance? If, for no other reason than to add future precious bicycle lanes or a place for taxis to pull over.
God forbid we look to the future of having freer flowing traffic.

I don't think anyone could argue that they want the 'old' street back.

But I don't think Times Square need worry about losing its crown anytime soon.
However, why, oh why, did the city not widen Dundas and Yonge while they had the chance? If, for no other reason than to add future precious bicycle lanes or a place for taxis to pull over.
God forbid we look to the future of having freer flowing traffic.

And here I was thinking, why oh why didn't they shrink Yonge to eliminate lanes of traffic and allow for wider sidewalks.

Yonge street needs to be narrowed, not widened.

The sidewalks are far too narrow particularly on the northeast corner of Yonge and Dundas. If it hasn't happened already, it is only a matter of time before someone gets pushed on to the street and into the path of a truck.

Make Yonge Street one way northbound only and widen the sidewalks.

Even though Toronto has a fear of one-way streets, I can see merit in some instances (including parts of Yonge, Bay and maybe even King or Queen). While one-way streets can be a nail in a coffin to a struggling downtown (i.e. Hamilton), they wouldn't necessarily take-away from the urban experience in a healthy downtown (i.e. Montreal, New York). It could also allow for widened sidewalks, and yes, perhaps better traffic flow.

A three-lane Yonge (with one lane permanently assigned to parking and a bike lane) would be a great idea from Bloor to Front/Gardiner. Yonge Street does not have any parking at all on this street, so it already acts like a traffic pipe like King/Main in Hamilton. Some turn lanes, now easier with a 2+1 set-up, would help improve traffic flow as well.

Bay could be set up the same as well in the opposite direction, that street's pretty sterile at street level anyway. Proper bike lanes would be great.

Or better yet, make parts of yonge a pedestrian mall (as i've seen mentioned before)

YD square would make a nice "entrance", expanding the square across the road to the eatons centre, making the square larger, and eliminating the traffic barrier from one side of the street to the other.

Obviously this doesn't take into account the traffic - I have no idea what could be done there to continue flow.

Or better yet, make parts of yonge a pedestrian mall (as i've seen mentioned before)

YD square would make a nice "entrance", expanding the square across the road to the eatons centre, making the square larger, and eliminating the traffic barrier from one side of the street to the other.

This was done during the summer for a few years back in the '70's, but then there was more to do on the strip back then other than just shop

828777215_79b8d2b565_o.jpg

This was done during the summer for a few years back in the '70's, but then there was more to do on the strip back then other than just shop

828777215_79b8d2b565_o.jpg

But it wasn't a success. Hence they reverted it back to a roadway.

Jack Astor's have cool misters on the patio to keep people cool during the warm weather. They work similar to those sprayers that keep veggies wet and cool in the produce section of the supermarket. I like when a place goes the extra mile and offers something unique such as this.
When I was in Phoenix, I noticed that they had these everywhere and they were really nice. Nice to see them in Toronto as well.

So Remmington's used to be Bermuda Tavern and Yonge Street Mission got some really funky signage! Shocking to see Jorgenson looking so shabby even when it's new.

AoD

Back