News   Apr 25, 2024
 253     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 813     2 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 822     0 

Road Safety & Vision Zero Plan

New traffic light installed at Dufferin and Lindsey, between College Street and Dufferin Mall, as promised in the wake of that horrific accident of the young lady cyclist who was run over twice. It's an improvement, but still not enough for that stretch.

Wide streets are more expensive for the city. Asphalt will be getting more expensive. The sewers have to be longer, along with the water and natural gas pipes, underground. Clearing the snow off wide streets means more in the AMOUNT of snow to be cleared.
Agreed, but much of the damage is done. What do we do with the wide residential streets all across the GTA?

If they're really wide we can stick a row of low rise apartments or rowhouses right up the middle.

New traffic light installed at Dufferin and Lindsey, between College Street and Dufferin Mall, as promised in the wake of that horrific accident of the young lady cyclist who was run over twice. It's an improvement, but still not enough for that stretch.
Would traffic lights have saved her?

Would traffic lights have saved her?

I used to live near there and used this route to bike home before it became a signed bike route. They might have saved her - Dufferin is very difficult to cross at an unsignalized intersection, no matter what mode of transport you're using. Traffic signals at the designated cycle route crossing will definitely help.

Dufferin is one of those streets that are bad for every user. 4 lanes of fast moving cars, no left turn lanes, no cycling infrastructure, and narrow sidewalks right next to traffic means it sucks to walk, bike, or drive on. As a driver, your path constantly blocked by either parked cars or cars turning left. It's a recipe for constant lane changes and aggressive driving, which makes it even worse for anyone on foot or a bike.

There are dozens of streets like this in Toronto and they all need to be completely redesigned.

So, on my walk yesterday, I wandered from Bloor and Jane down the very nice Riverside Drive along route to Parkdale, ultimately, via a stop at the Cheese Boutique on Ripley and in High Park.

The new streetscape on Riverside is nice and shows some attention to Vision Zero principles in having a relatively narrow road, bump outs (chicanes), interlocking brick at intersections, and a tree-lined boulevard.

In a previously anomalously wide section, there is also a median.

But there' still some work to be done.... LOL....

But the good stuff first.

Intersection Treatment:

DSC07150.JPG

Bump out/Chicane:

DSC07153.JPG

Intersection next to a small park, interlock treatment extends entirely along the one side.

DSC07158.JPG

Median/Island w/narrow travel lanes in interlock:

DSC07165.JPG

For most of Riverside, there is only sidewalk on one side of the road (east side); but on the slope down to South Kingsway, where there are some great views to the west to be had, they sensibly added a sidewalk on that side as well; they also sprung
for a nicer than average railing; but......I know I'm quibbling here, would it have killed them to get it in colour?

DSC07168.JPG

So here's the thing that really gets to me..... LOL...........so I'm walking down the nice new sidewalk on the west side, taking pics of the Humber River, the Humber Marshes, the Humber Bay Shores skyline......and I get to the bottom:

DSC07187.JPG

Umm.....really? Another 40M of sidewalk to get me to South Kingsway is too much to ask? Its all public land, there's clearly enough room........sigh.

I didn't take pictures of the next couple bits, so I'll add some Streetview here.

At the bottom of hill, I wanted to cross the road, so I could get to Cheese Boutique over on Ripley:

Notice that there is sidewalk at South Kingsway, making this gap seem even weirder; also they preserved a slip lane, always dangerous to do!

1649719262381.png

But facing the other way............we see that there is no traffic light or crosswalk to get across the road here, and traffic here can be reasonably heavy and fast:

1649719316707.png

But I made it across, needless to say (with camera in the bag, hence using Streetview here)...............

And I get to Ripley......and this is what I find:

1649719390349.png

No sidewalk on either side of the street, cars parked here/there and everywhere, so there is no clear walking path except in the middle of the road.....and w/cars positioned the way they are, sightlines are poor for drivers and pedestrians too ( car stuck out a bit further than another blocks your view of reverse lights/headlights, while it blocks the driver's view of any oncoming traffic pedestrian or otherwise.

On balance, some progress out here......but much more to be done!

Last edited:
^ I know that the former Councillor for the area worked very diligently and patiently to ensure residents had the opportunity to input meaningfully, and to bring their wishes and city staff views and technical expertise together. No plan is perfect, but sometimes City Hall works and this was one of those times.

- Paul

Umm.....really? Another 40M of sidewalk to get me to South Kingsway is too much to ask? Its all public land, there's clearly enough room........sigh.
Reminds me of an example raised by the Youtuber Shifter from, IIRC, Edmonton. It was a bidirectional bike path on one side of the street that just... ended about 50-100m ahead of a stop sign intersection. No legal way for someone opposing traffic to proceed to their side of the street to continue on. Someone pointed out this error. The city's solution? Close the bike path. 🤦‍♂️

^ I know that the former Councillor for the area worked very diligently and patiently to ensure residents had the opportunity to input meaningfully, and to bring their wishes and city staff views and technical expertise together. No plan is perfect, but sometimes City Hall works and this was one of those times.

- Paul

Except for that bit at the bottom of the hill, I'm happy to agree with you.

The bit missing ~40M of sidewalk, which was clearly in an area that was within the project scope is just bizarre.

Except for that bit at the bottom of the hill, I'm happy to agree with you.

The bit missing ~40M of sidewalk, which was clearly in an area that was within the project scope is just bizarre.

I can’t recall the exact reason for that sidewalk blip, but I do recall it being pointed out and debated. If you had seen (on the one hand) the original going-in City plan, and (on the other hand) heard some of the community’s issues… there was a lot of creativity exercised and the City did move a fair ways from the default standard road design.

- Paul

On Monday April 11, 2022, Superintendent Scott Baptist of Traffic Services announced the "Speed Kills" traffic safety campaign focused on slowing drivers down through enforcement.

In 2021, a total of 60 people were killed on Toronto’s roads. Year to date in 2022 there have already been 14 people killed, 10 of whom were pedestrians.

Drivers who speed, drive distracted or aggressively cause collisions - but it's speed that directly impacts the severity of injury. Last year 78 per cent of all fatal collisions occurred on roads with posted speed limits above 50km/hr.

The “Speed Kills” campaign will run from Monday April 11, to Sunday April 17, 2022. Officers service-wide will be participating in this zero tolerance campaign focused on slowing drivers down through enforcement. Speeding, distracted driving, and aggressive driving are all behaviours that contribute to our most serious collisions.

The campaign will also support Toronto’s Vision Zero Road Safety Plan which acknowledges that collisions are inevitable, but killed and seriously injured (KSI) are preventable and unacceptable.

For most of Riverside, there is only sidewalk on one side of the road (east side); but on the slope down to South Kingsway, where there are some great views to the west to be had, they sensibly added a sidewalk on that side as well; they also sprung
for a nicer than average railing; but......I know I'm quibbling here, would it have killed them to get it in colour?

So here's the thing that really gets to me..... LOL...........so I'm walking down the nice new sidewalk on the west side, taking pics of the Humber River, the Humber Marshes, the Humber Bay Shores skyline......and I get to the bottom:

View attachment 392078

I didn't take pictures of the next couple bits, so I'll add some Streetview here.

At the bottom of hill, I wanted to cross the road, so I could get to Cheese Boutique over on Ripley:

Notice that there is sidewalk at South Kingsway, making this gap seem even weirder; also they preserved a slip lane, always dangerous to do!

View attachment 392079

No sidewalk on either side of the street, cars parked here/there and everywhere, so there is no clear walking path except in the middle of the road.....and w/cars positioned the way they are, sightlines are poor for drivers and pedestrians too ( car stuck out a bit further than another blocks your view of reverse lights/headlights, while it blocks the driver's view of any oncoming traffic pedestrian or otherwise.

On balance, some progress out here......but much more to be done!

Bugs me that the guardrail seems to protect the trees and bushes from being hurt by pedestrians, when the guardrail should be protecting pedestrians from being hurt by motorists. The sidewalk and guardrail should switch places, with a few adjustments.

Bugs me that the guardrail seems to protect the trees and bushes from being hurt by pedestrians, when the guardrail should be protecting pedestrians from being hurt by motorists. The sidewalk and guardrail should switch places, with a few adjustments.

There may be an argument for some additional protection of pedestrians against a vehicle mounting the sidewalk, but I'm not aware of an inordinate risk here.

I would certainly support adequate pedestrian safety.

But I would hasten to add, that's a 60-degree slope ++ off to the west, you wouldn't want to fall down it as a pedestrian either. So some protection on that side seems entirely reasonable.

Back