Toronto Grand Hotel Redevelopment | 153.95m | 49s | Amexon | Core Architects

The 68 storey tower referenced is 'The Grand' hotel site at 225 Jarvis (this thread), not the development up by Sheppard.
I know. But I doubt they would approve a 200+ m tower at Jarvis & Dundas. The current approved (?) height for the redevelopment is just under 154 m. A 68 storey building would be at least 210 m.

The trees listed above are Carolinian tree species which are native to the North Shore of Lake Erie, where i live. There are a fair number of Tulip trees around my house. Toronto may be at the northern edge of the growing zone, but there
is a good chance they will be ok.

As someone very familiar w/tree health, and who lives in Toronto, I can tell you they almost never survive as street trees.

They do survive, often in people's backyards, or in the middle of public parks.

There are 2 clear connections. Salt tolerance; and wind chill.

Tulip trees can just barely survive a cold winter here when young, but will, if they are well sheltered or not exposed to inordinate wind.

In downtown locations, surrounded by tall towers, they don't do well at all.

But even in more suburban Toronto, I would put the attrition rate at more than 75% (trees that don't survive their first 2 years) when planted as a street tree along a busy road.

The salt is just too overwhelming. Not to mention they dislike compaction, and pollution

This is also a full-sun species, meaning several hours of sunlight per day. Not great for being next to lots of tall buildings

From the above:

1649522303812.png

1649522376702.png

I know. But I doubt they would approve a 200+ m tower at Jarvis & Dundas. The current approved (?) height for the redevelopment is just under 154 m. A 68 storey building would be at least 210 m.

Valid point. That would be an increase of 19s over the current approved height.

They're not going to get that on a minor variance; it seems unlikely they would want to go through the planning process all over again.

The zoning is closed, and the site plan shows no indication of that type of upward trajectory.

Bumping my previous post on the last page re: 68 storey version of this proposal. Interesting there's no submission yet regarding the height bump.

The 68 storey tower referenced is 'The Grand' hotel site at 225 Jarvis (this thread), not the development up by Sheppard.
New docs were submitted Feb 10, 2022. Storey count seems to be unaltered at 49 floors.
Link to application: http://app.toronto.ca/AIC/index.do?folderRsn=8EElUss5dNPZzqBG+XG+Yg==

On a unrelated (or related?) note, I came across the post on Linkedin, not including the OP's name/photo for privacy reasons, but their original post is linked below. It looks like this is the site in question, perhaps at 68 storey version was considered at some point?

Source:

View attachment 380937

Trees in an urban environment will fare differently than rural as you mentioned. I had a small hobby farm not far from where i now live, and in the mid 90's planted 1700 trees, mostly Pine and Spruce, but among them Kentuckey Coffee, Hackberry, Shagbark Hickory and Tulip trees from a forestry farm.
They all did great in a rural environment, but i understand your point about planting in the city.

Wasnt the original rational for the limited height here due to flight paths?

So they cant possibly be getting additional height if that's the case.

Wasnt the original rational for the limited height here due to flight paths?

So they cant possibly be getting additional height if that's the case.

I believe that the tower is just outside the edge of the helicopter flight path. The tower's angled side accommodates the flight path similar to the Massey Tower project.

Back