Toronto Grand Hotel Redevelopment | 153.95m | 49s | Amexon | Core Architects

does anyone know when the new building will start? We have been fascinated by the continual influx of fill with the concrete garage floor still intact...all very odd but we are loving the view.
The fill coming in is so that there is a flat surface upon which shoring rigs can move about the site. They'll be used to drill shafts for piles around the site perimeter. Once the piles are in, excavation can take place, including of the recently trucked-in fill. As excavation progresses, lagging (timber slats) will be slotted in between the piles and the shoring wall will grow. When they get down to the existing concrete garage floor, it can be demolished at that time.

Usually until they've excavated all the way to the bottom. And I guess that depends on how many P levels that's coming with this project that will determine expediency they'll hit the as for mention bottom. I hope this helps!
I think I sit corrected here...as I had poorly presumed they where already at the excavating stage. So /ignore what I said for now.

Photos taken February 1st, 2022:

DSC06654.JPG
DSC06657.JPG
DSC06656.JPG

New docs were submitted Feb 10, 2022. Storey count seems to be unaltered at 49 floors.
Link to application: http://app.toronto.ca/AIC/index.do?folderRsn=8EElUss5dNPZzqBG+XG+Yg==

On a unrelated (or related?) note, I came across the post on Linkedin, not including the OP's name/photo for privacy reasons, but their original post is linked below. It looks like this is the site in question, perhaps at 68 storey version was considered at some point?

Source:

Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 4.36.03 PM.png

@Northern Light this may have been answered before, but will this building abut Grid, or will an alley remain between the two?

This is the Site Plan landscape drawing as submitted in February of this year:

1649360503787.png

I don't see any laneways.

Since I was looking...........I have made note of the tree species proposed on site.........not one do I consider to be native. (nor would the TRCA)

Kentucky Coffeetree
Ohio Buckeye
Tulip Tree
Hackberry

Sigh.........

Also real money says the Tulip trees are dead inside a year.........though I hope I'm wrong....

The fill coming in is so that there is a flat surface upon which shoring rigs can move about the site. They'll be used to drill shafts for piles around the site perimeter. Once the piles are in, excavation can take place, including of the recently trucked-in fill. As excavation progresses, lagging (timber slats) will be slotted in between the piles and the shoring wall will grow. When they get down to the existing concrete garage floor, it can be demolished at that time.

Do they have a building permit yet?

Amexon’s other upcoming major project is the redevelopment of the former Grand Hotel site at 225 Jarvis St. in downtown Toronto.

It will feature a 68-storey mixed-use building with six floors of hotel space with 210 suites at the base and condo units above. Sales are expected to launch toward the end of this year and construction should start early in 2023.

The trees listed above are Carolinian tree species which are native to the North Shore of Lake Erie, where i live. There are a fair number of Tulip trees around my house. Toronto may be at the northern edge of the growing zone, but there
is a good chance they will be ok.

68 storeys? I doubt that a 200+ m building would be approved in that area.

Back