News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.4K     6 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Queen's Park station with all the curved tunnel panels removed:

20220328_144751.jpg
20220328_144829.jpg

This is why C-suite level people dislike working in the public sector.
  • Low pay relative to the private sector.
  • Have to constantly deal with politicians.
  • Have to constantly deal with the public.
  • Have to constantly deal with red tape for projects.
  • Have to deal with a strong union.
Most CEOs on the private sector running an organization similar employee count to the TTC are being paid at least a million dollar base salary on top of a multi million dollar stock options package, plus pension, plus a couple more millions in bonuses (Air Canada).

Rick Leary is being 🗑️, because you get what you pay for.

Most CEOs on the private sector running an organization similar employee count to the TTC are being paid at least a million dollar base salary on top of a multi million dollar stock options package, plus pension, plus a couple more millions in bonuses (Air Canada).

If that's the case, why did he apply and accept this position? Many people would take this job and still do a better job. Rick Leary history in transit is not the best either, so if anything, I blame the board for hiring him, and not the excuse you listed.

The problem you describe is one of excessive private-sector compensation that needs to be reigned in; not a need for greater public sector compensation.

Aside from that, in my experience Rick avoids the public very successfully, but is very effective as a 'yes man' for politicos; it would be rather hard to find another compelling reason for his current employment.

It certainly isn't his CV!

If that's the case, why did he apply and accept this position? Many people would take this job and still do a better job. Rick Leary history in transit is not the best either, so if anything, I blame the board for hiring him, and not the excuse you listed.

The same reason Trump, Kenney, Kennedy, and Washington ran for politics, public service.

The problem you describe is one of excessive private-sector compensation that needs to be reigned in; not a need for greater public sector compensation.

Aside from that, in my experience Rick avoids the public very successfully, but is very effective as a 'yes man' for politicos; it would be rather hard to find another compelling reason for his current employment.

It certainly isn't his CV!
Finally

The same reason Trump, Kenney, Kennedy, and Washington ran for politics, public service.

Finally
'The committee unanimously put forward a name from a long list of international candidates, and I think everyone’s really comfortable and pleased with who we’re going to put forward,” Colle said."

My original point still stands.

And why are we looking international, surely there are many qualified people right here in Canada. If they really need a consultant, they can connect with many other transit agencies , they also have CUTA, APTA and many other organizations.
The fact that only two made it to the final round doesn't mean it was the only two available. They clearly had a long list of international candidates, it was they who decided who the final two would be, then make a decision from there.
And looking at Rick Leary's history, the Board choosing him was a poor decision. I expect Rick Leary to get another raise next year, and even then it will be up to him if he wants to leave and not public opinion.

Good luck to TTC and their customers for the next 4 years and beyond when both John Tory and Rick Leary is done getting through with it. Only hope is a better selection of TTC Board members after October.

I love how they keep removing the Osgoode panels, it's like they keep teasing us that they want to install vitrolite again.

I actually preferred the look of the 1st Osgoode reno. Now it was aging badly, and the TTC hated how much of pain it was to take down and put up again {all those individual slats) but I thought it worked well.

That the original vitrolite is still mostly on the walls speaks to the TTC's penchant to cheap out during renos, they just covered the wall, rather than removing the original finishes and placing new.

That penchant got them in trouble on many Line 1 stations, as evidenced by Dundas Stn in the photo below:

1649080402953.png

Photo Credit: https://www.stationfixation.com/2015/02/dundas.html

You notice that silver band running down the wall? Those were put in at several stations when problems became clear w/the new wall not adhering properly to the original wall.

I actually preferred the look of the 1st Osgoode reno. Now it was aging badly, and the TTC hated how much of pain it was to take down and put up again {all those individual slats) but I thought it worked well.

That the original vitrolite is still mostly on the walls speaks to the TTC's penchant to cheap out during renos, they just covered the wall, rather than removing the original finishes and placing new.

That penchant got them in trouble on many Line 1 stations, as evidenced by Dundas Stn in the photo below:

View attachment 390070
Photo Credit: https://www.stationfixation.com/2015/02/dundas.html

You notice that silver band running down the wall? Those were put in at several stations when problems became clear w/the new wall not adhering properly to the original wall.

As someone who worked in construction when I was younger, its very rare for renovations to remove the old tile/flooring etc in commercial and rental spaces etc. That's really only something people with a nice house and lots of money do. More often than not they just cover up the old tile/flooring, unless there is a reason they can't.

Back