Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

And both the Canada Line and Expo Line are in far better positions to run that frequently because they're automated and fully grade separated. Eglinton, due to the at grade segment east of Laird, is unable to run at such high frequencies, and as such needs much longer trains in order to achieve a similar PPHPD.
I'm sure the Eglinton Line will run at higher frequencies. 12min frequency at 8:45pm? The Sheppard Line is 6 min.

1648047050917.png

I'm sure the Eglinton Line will run at higher frequencies. 12min frequency at 8:45pm? The Sheppard Line is 6 min.

View attachment 387282
Emphasis on the word "can".

Also I don't know when that screenshot is from, it certainly isn't like this today. Its something like 3 minutes in the core section, and 6 minutes in the branches during most of the day.

By boom gates you mean the same ones that ION uses?

Those work great from my experience.
The problem is that the people pushing these LRTs are more concerned with "Urban Aesthetic" rather than functionality. The problem with things like boom gates is that they're ugly, noisy, and constrain movement of people. Remember, the goal is to try and replicate these types of pitch perfect urban boulevards from Europe that look great when taking a photo of them:
1648049775939.png

Unfortunately this typically doesn't really translate something that's great from an actual transportation perspective, especially in a city that's as transit deprived as Toronto.

View attachment 387282
Who knows, with the genius Rick Leary in the helm at the moment, the Bloor-Danforth line has been seeing service at every 8-9 mins in the evening peak. Something which i never would've thought we would see. Most attribute it to COVID operator shortage, however im still very skeptical.

Regarding the talk of low-floor vehicles (LRT) vs high-floor, Eglinton should have absolutely seen high-floor vehicles (light metro/metro/whatever you want to call it) used along the entire line.

Using low-floor vehicles was idiotic from the very start for numerous reasons including but not limited to: wasted space between vehicles (capacity which will be needed in the future), and bogies reducing interior capacity/space.

The stations can accommodate 3-car trains max. There's no room for 4th or 5th cars to be added.

This is untrue. While the stations as-is cannot easily accommodate more than 3 car trains, the station boxes were made 150m in size for a reason. They can be modified with longer platforms, but it would require a lot of work. Its not as simple as knocking down the walls, but I spoke with MX and it is possible in case the line does see a huge increase in demand sometime in the distant future.

This is in Phoenix... the United States... land of cars. Proper prioritization that wouldn't cause delays to transit and a roundabout so even the cars continue to flow through. OMG the US!!

View attachment 387280

Its been my experience that most USA cities that have LRT treat them better than we treat our LRT's in Canada. I was in Denver and Baltimore and every place the LRT ran (that wasn't street running, in a dedicated lane) had full traffic priority. Gates came down and stopped cars. The LRT never had to wait for cars.

Its been my experience that most USA cities that have LRT treat them better than we treat our LRT's in Canada. I was in Denver and Baltimore and every place the LRT ran (that wasn't street running, in a dedicated lane) had full traffic priority. Gates came down and stopped cars. The LRT never had to wait for cars.
Agreed, and ditto for Seattle, one of the best LRTs I've ridden.

This is untrue. While the stations as-is cannot easily accommodate more than 3 car trains, the station boxes were made 150m in size for a reason. They can be modified with longer platforms, but it would require a lot of work. Its not as simple as knocking down the walls, but I spoke with MX and it is possible in case the line does see a huge increase in demand sometime in the distant future.
Please tell us more about how each station's service areas (ie: Mechanical rooms, electrical rooms, ventilation shafts, etc..) can be shifted to accommodate this. I would love to hear about how this could supposedly be done, maybe you've heard something we all havent heard yet.

Did Metrolinx secretly design for station boxes to be further expanded beyond the 150 metre footprint that most of us have been hearing about for all these years?

What was the service frequency? My understanding is that the frequency is terrible which lends itself to having gates and disrupting the normal traffic schedule.

Please tell us more about how each station's service areas (ie: Mechanical rooms, electrical rooms, ventilation shafts, etc..) can be shifted to accommodate this. I would love to hear about how this could supposedly be done, maybe you've heard something we all havent heard yet.

Did Metrolinx secretly design for station boxes to be further expanded beyond the 150 metre footprint that most of us have been hearing about for all these years?
Why do you think they added service rooms and vent fans in the mezzaine level, (between the street level and the platform level)? Then there are possible unexcavated area beyond the station boxes, that could be dug out, if they become desperate. By "services", they could mean janitor rooms, which can be moved to the area under the steps and escalates in later years.

1647905030374-png.386945

Why do you think they added service rooms and vent fans in the mezzaine level, (between the street level and the platform level)? Then there are possible unexcavated area beyond the station boxes, that could be dug out, if they become desperate. By "services", they could mean janitor rooms, which can be moved to the area under the steps and escalates in later years.

1647905030374-png.386945
To those who believe that the stations can somehow accommodate 4 and 5 car trains, take a very close look at the time lapse video Metrolinx released. Then please tell us how it can be done:

I suppose if it is even possible. It’ll be like half a meter platform from the track with the room still largely blocking the middle.

Don’t assume that the line beyond that end wall is perfectly flat straight and level. Or that it is easily minable without hitting utilities or foundations.
All it takes is for one station to be constrained to its existing length.
My understanding ( probably take me forever to find the citation, but I remember this clearly as I argued loudly back when the EA and early consultation was done) is that the stations cannot be lengthened after opening. What they give us is all we will get.

- Paul

Don’t assume that the line beyond that end wall is perfectly flat straight and level. Or that it is easily minable without hitting utilities or foundations.
All it takes is for one station to be constrained to its existing length.
My understanding ( probably take me forever to find the citation, but I remember this clearly as I argued loudly back when the EA and early consultation was done) is that the stations cannot be lengthened after opening. What they give us is all we will get.

- Paul
Well we can pull an NYC and just have stations with extremely variable slopes, curves, and platform widths 🤣

Back