Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Also…

The city of Markham has written a letter to Ford saying it rejects the province’s proposal for a transit-oriented community in that municipality and that the plan should be “immediately withdrawn.”

Amazing. Every municipality in the GTA: we want transit, but we don’t want density.

I will say that some of the comments are reasonable: obviously Markham doesn’t want its nodes to turn into bedroom communities, wants more parkland, and we don’t have a good track record for large master-planned developments. But, if you ask for a deep-ass station to appease a few homeowners you pay the price elsewhere. Thems the breaks.

Last edited:

Also…

Amazing. Every municipality in the GTA: we want transit, but we don’t want density.

I will say that some of the comments are reasonable: obviously Markham doesn’t want its nodes to turn into bedroom communities, wants more parkland, and we don’t have a good track record for large master-planned developments. But, if you ask for a deep-ass station to appease a few homeowners you pay the price elsewhere. Thems the breaks.
The NIMBY snobs want the rapid transit but don't want the needed density that would support it. They want to have their rural estate as they drink their Mint Julep under the shade of their large oak trees, looking over their green, green grass.

The NIMBY snobs want the rapid transit but don't want the needed density that would support it. They want to have their rural estate as they drink their Mint Julep under the shade of their large oak trees, looking over their green, green grass.

Why wouldn't they?

It's been sold to them as something deserved for well over a decade now.

Shame Markham doesn't realize this crazy density is partly because they're not upzoning their swathes of suburbia to townhouse and midrise.

Also, merely wishing for jobs in an area won't attract them. Clearly, companies have chosen to be elsewhere (downtown and highway corridors).

Their efforts would be better spent on moderate/gentle densification and improving transit to existing employment hubs like Leslie-407.

Last edited:

Also…

Although, it is not like they do not want any new density. The debate is between two competing plans, both of which will add a lot of density, but one will add more than the other.

Although, it is not like they do not want any new density. The debate is between two competing plans, both of which will add a lot of density, but one will add more than the other.

This is correct. The City's own approved plan is literally the densest growth centre in the province, outside downtown Toronto.

The issue here, per the Star article, is of process and what the role of municipalities (both elected and staff) should be when the Province is doing it's own thing on their turf. It's ultimately the same dicussion as with MZOs and even that housing report that came out last week, which has a lot of ideas about providing more housing by marginalizing municipal "interference."

All this other stuff about NIMBYs and Royal Orchard is really just red herrings, IMHO.

This is correct. The City's own approved plan is literally the densest growth centre in the province, outside downtown Toronto.

The issue here, per the Star article, is of process and what the role of municipalities (both elected and staff) should be when the Province is doing it's own thing on their turf. It's ultimately the same dicussion as with MZOs and even that housing report that came out last week, which has a lot of ideas about providing more housing by marginalizing municipal "interference."

All this other stuff about NIMBYs and Royal Orchard is really just red herrings, IMHO.
The overuse of MZO's is going to get them in trouble with the electorate. The PC's seem to misunderstand that planning in a democratic environment is messy and sometimes slow, and rushing that process for mere expediency will aggrevate the "NIMBY" tension.

The overuse of MZO's is going to get them in trouble with the electorate. The PC's seem to misunderstand that planning in a democratic environment is messy and sometimes slow, and rushing that process for mere expediency will aggrevate the "NIMBY" tension.
I don't think its that simple. You see there are 2 schools of thought here: One suggests like you that planning should be done in a very messy and slow democratic process, meanwhile others believe that we are so behind transit, that we need to abandon this democratic bs and just get stuff done. Now tell me, to the broad voter base, what is more appealing? The idea of slowly planning out transit projects that come out at a leaky pace, or announcing that you are ramming through 4 subway projects and are actually getting things done? The only people that are mad about the MZOs are A) A vocal minority of the local communities, and B) Angry Star Readers. Almost everyone else doesn't really care.

The only people that are mad about the MZOs are A) A vocal minority of the local communities, and B) Angry Star Readers. Almost everyone else doesn't really care.
C) The city of Markham.

Or maybe they’re all angry Star readers too?

C) The city of Markham.

Or maybe they’re all angry Star readers too?
I'm talking about voters, which is what asher was talking about (well technically the people working at the City of Markham are voters too, but they're effectively a rounding error).

I'm talking about voters, which is what asher was talking about (well technically the people working at the City of Markham are voters too, but they're effectively a rounding error).
Gotcha.

FWIW, I think across the political spectrum, people prefer local consultation even if it slows down housing development (at least if this poll is to be believed). Then again, people also support the government doing something, so...who knows what the electorate really thinks about MZOs.

I suspect both you and asher have valid points: a) that the portion of the populace that is really fired up around MZOs and will change their vote based on them is tiny b) people really believe in local control, and overriding it too much will get the OPC in trouble with the electorate unless the message is crafted and delivered well.

Local control is how you get a supply crisis because the only people with the time to show up to zoning meetings are crusty seniors with too much time on their hands who hate change, young people and the poors (and the rich who hate all those things too)

Gotcha.

FWIW, I think across the political spectrum, people prefer local consultation even if it slows down housing development (at least if this poll is to be believed). Then again, people also support the government doing something, so...who knows what the electorate really thinks about MZOs.

I suspect both you and asher have valid points: a) that the portion of the populace that is really fired up around MZOs and will change their vote based on them is tiny b) people really believe in local control, and overriding it too much will get the OPC in trouble with the electorate unless the message is crafted and delivered well.
Now what I'm going to say is completely anecdotal, and perhaps it isn't a strong representation of the 905 - I'm just speaking from personal experience.

A lot of people who live here in the 905 are immigrants from countries like Russia or China where they have a massive amount of public transit and especially metros that are being built - most of them with very limited local consultations. These immigrants often arrive here extremely discontent about how poor our Metro system is, and absolutely want to see it expanded on a massive scale. These same people also wouldn't really care about consultation over every small detail - these people really want transit, and they want that transit badly: If not for them, then for their kids. If you give them a politician that tries to push through as much "good and usable transit" as possible, I think you can easily win a good chunk of them over - especially in the 905.

It's really a question of due process.
I'd argue most of the MZO's are fine and the bigger matter is one of principle, especially when there are no actual criteria for them and political inconsistencies, as is now going on in Willowdale.

I don't think anyone argues the planning process functions at optimal efficiency but sometimes democracy is messy and slow. Am override for important projects is justifiable but the idea that the Minister should do whatever he wants whenever he wants its more concerning. And,legally he can. Yeah, local councils can bow to pressure etc. But I think it's simplistic and dangerous to blame them for the lack of supply and thereby justify centralizing power at MMAH.

Here, the province is spending on a big project so it makes sense they'd stick their noses in the process. But that doesn't mean local officials, the people actually elected to govern their communities, should be left out of the process entirely. I don't blame them for being irked and with two elections coming up residents will have lots of directions in which to vent their own frustrations.

Back