Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

All these references to Bill Davis have me recalling one of his more famous turns-of-phrase he uttered as Premier; though with a twist...

"If we are naming transit lines to honour the Queen of Sprawl, the Hazel McCallion Line would be a good place to start. But if we are naming transit lines to honour transit advocates, the Hazel McCallion Line is a good place to stop.”

Not to stray this conversation further - if you want a historical background:

AoD
Anti-immigration =/= racist. More spurious allegations of the sort that are so easy to widely circulate these days.

Forget the LRT. Dream big. Call the entire city Hazelburg, or Hazelville, Hazeltown whatever LOL

Cringe...

This too.

You’d think that Mississauga would have other people to name stuff for.

View attachment 380072

Just saw this..........and couldn't help but picture in my head every vehicle with its own colour-scheme matching a Don Cherry jacket.

Fig11-759x500.png

Honorific line names are fine during planning and construction but should be named after the corridors they follow once construction is complete. They're doing this backwards.

Doug Ford put this on us but this city needs to get over Hazel McCallion. Did she even plan the city in a way that was good? She kept a balanced budget, okay, cool... but now we have little greenfield to work with and are starting the process of redeveloping our lands. So much of which is given to single family homes... that was done on her terms.

It doesn't make sense to name this line after her. If I wasn't aware or from the area, it would confuse me to take the "Hazel McCallion Line" when that line runs on Hurontario.... it really should have just stayed the Hurontario LRT. Succinct and to the point.

Is Dougie just trying to win votes?

Also, I used to think the loop was a good idea, given it would take people closer to the mall. But now, I see the benefit of just running straight through Hurontario. The loop will just add minutes there and back for riders NOT stopping off close to the mall.

All these references to Bill Davis have me recalling one of his more famous turns-of-phrase he uttered as Premier; though with a twist...

"If we are naming transit lines to honour the Queen of Sprawl, the Hazel McCallion Line would be a good place to start. But if we are naming transit lines to honour transit advocates, the Hazel McCallion Line is a good place to stop.”
The highways should have been named after her!

Also, I used to think the loop was a good idea, given it would take people closer to the mall. But now, I see the benefit of just running straight through Hurontario. The loop will just add minutes there and back for riders NOT stopping off close to the mall.

I don't think it is a bad idea - but I wouldn't want to run every train through that loop (and the configuration of the loop should change as well).

AoD

I don't think it is a bad idea - but I wouldn't want to run every train through that loop (and the configuration of the loop should change as well).

AoD
I would agree with that. Is that option anything that's ever been mentioned?

I agree, it would run best with a loop, but not every train running through, and with changes to the configuration... its a shame its been a mess. Implemented, taken away, added back... but its not like what is proposed currently is perfect.

So, if the loop comes back, I can hop on The Hazel McCallion line which can take me to the Hazel McCallion Library, or the Sheridan Hazel McCallion Campus, where I can go to the Hazel McCallion bookstore, or the other Hazel McCallion library. or if I want some variety, I can visit Square One via Hazel's walk. Then, I can hop on a bus, and take me to the Hazel McCallion Academic Learning Centre, or the Hazel McCallion Senior Public School, the Hazel McCallion auditorium (Mississauga Valley CC) or the Hazel McCallion Hall (Vic Johnston CC). If with all the excitement, and my heart is racing too much, I can then be dropped off at the Hazel McCallion Centre for heart health.

So, if the loop comes back, I can hop on The Hazel McCallion line which can take me to the Hazel McCallion Library, or the Sheridan Hazel McCallion Campus, where I can go to the Hazel McCallion bookstore, or the other Hazel McCallion library. or if I want some variety, I can visit Square One via Hazel's walk. Then, I can hop on a bus, and take me to the Hazel McCallion Academic Learning Centre, or the Hazel McCallion Senior Public School, the Hazel McCallion auditorium (Mississauga Valley CC) or the Hazel McCallion Hall (Vic Johnston CC). If with all the excitement, and my heart is racing too much, I can then be dropped off at the Hazel McCallion Centre for heart health.

See what I mean by personality cult?

AoD

You just earned a stay at the Mimico Correctional Centre (soon to be renamed the Doug Ford Correctional Centre).

Doug Ford put this on us but this city needs to get over Hazel McCallion. Did she even plan the city in a way that was good? She kept a balanced budget, okay, cool... but now we have little greenfield to work with and are starting the process of redeveloping our lands. So much of which is given to single family homes... that was done on her terms.

It doesn't make sense to name this line after her. If I wasn't aware or from the area, it would confuse me to take the "Hazel McCallion Line" when that line runs on Hurontario.... it really should have just stayed the Hurontario LRT. Succinct and to the point.

Is Dougie just trying to win votes?

Well even without the loop you still have the MCC spur that will also add a ton of travel time. Either way, there is probably value in having pure Hurontario Trains.

What should probably happen post loop is one service that goes from Port Credit to the loop traveling clockwise then back. One service going from Brampton to the loop, traveling counter clockwise then back. And finally a Hurontario through service. If we want more trams to service the loop, we can offer both a counter clockwise and clockwise service for both sides, and make the Hurontario through train 1/3 trains (but at 7 minute headways this might not be enough)

Back