News   Mar 28, 2024
 105     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 176     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 247     0 

Montréal Transit Developments

That would solve the problems, if they are to install them - though Canada Line doesn't have them.
There is no chance REM B won't be getting PSDs. Every station on REM A is getting them, and REM B is reusing the exact same technology - built to the same standards.

Line B still runs just 0.5-1km away from the green line along half its length. The city has more pressing transit needs, so even the level of redundancy here is questionable, but this transit deficit also means you take what you can when you can.
Yes... I said this. I would like the system to have redundancy, but at the same time I understand why it will not.
Not sure why it needs to be repeated back to me as an explanation.

There is no chance REM B won't be getting PSDs. Every station on REM A is getting them, and REM B is reusing the exact same technology - built to the same standards.

Thats actually not true, the two systems will not be compatible

1643306173003.png

Well I use the term "compatible" loosely here. I know that they won't actually be connected, and technically since REM Est will have 40m long cars, you wouldn't be able to through run in most circumstances, but my point was that it is the exact same technology and very similar build standards. Theoretically if you would connect the tracks up and update the automation, you could would be able to run trains through if you did something about the different platform lengths.

Parc Morgan is the continuity of Morgan Avenue, which was the main street of the city of Maisonneuve. The avenue, the park and most of the buildings on the avenue were built in the Beaux-Arts style at the beginning of the twentieth century. At the time Maisonneuve was a rich city (called the Pittsburgh of Canada), and some rich landowners there, the Dufresne brothers, decided to build one of the most beautiful street on the island (their residence, Château Dufresne, is now a museum at the corner of Sherbrooke and Pie-IX) to showcase the modernity and pride of Maisonneuve. Across Notre-Dame from the park there is Caserne Letourneux, which was a fire station and is now the training camp for CF Montréal. That building was also designed by the Dufresne brothers, who were inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright.

The concern is that the REM line will be an eyesore in the middle of a truly unique area of the city. I don't think they'd put the REM line underground just for that, but CDPQi already acknowledged the importance of the park and its surroundings. My guess is they'll do what you've shown: something more slender that will span most of the length of the park and be minimalist.
Thanks, yes, I noticed from the Google satellite map that there was a nice boulevard leading to the park.
Note that there would be the catenary wires above the guideway.

They could also create more decorative columns, like some of the ones on HART in Honolulu.
072514_hoopiliaestheticcolumna72514.jpg

I suppose if it's automated, that the cost of providing higher frequency is a lot lower ... oh well, time will tell.

Automated elevated lines are one thing - how has the automated Canada line functioned with suicides in that extensive tunnelled section?

Canada Line runs on a specfic negotiated schedule - electricity costs money, I suppose!!
I don't know of a problem with suicides on Canada Line - there's the usual guideway intrusion system with lasers that automatically stop trains if something is in the guideway.

I think it would also be part of the winter-proofing - enclosing the platforms completely, especially for the elevated stations.

Here's an idea discussed on another forum:

Why not build a grade separated wye between the two branches and create a third service from Montréal-Nord to Pointe-aux-Trembles:

e3707f2965f64a60d3951a72f5b765c2af869785.jpeg

That way people from Pointe-aux-Trembles/Tétreaultville can reach both the green and blue line, both hospitals serving the east end, the larger shopping centre of the area and Marie-Victorin CEGEP

The Canada Line wye west of Bridgeport Station is supposed to allow through routing of trains from YVR to Richmond (it was part of the required elements). However, there's only one flyover (compared to the above design), so a through route would have to use track switches with a reversing movement to do so.
I wonder whether there will be a flyover for REM l'Est or whether there will just be level switches.
For SkyTrain, Millennium Line east of Lougheed just relies on level switches to shunt trains to/from the Evergreen Line, and theoretically, there can also be a reversing movement there to create a through route from Coquitlam to New Westminster.

Canada Line runs on a specfic negotiated schedule - electricity costs money, I suppose!!

Vehicle and track lifespans are measured by distance, not time. Running them more increases maintenance required and brings forward their end-of-life date. The capital cost to run a metro train for an hour is quite a bit higher than the driver salary. Capital dollars flow easier than operations dollars from government, but the P3 maintenance agreement effectively turns capital expeneses (replacement trains) into an operations lineitem (steady monthly fee).

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if they do go with third rail outdoors in Montreal winters.
With Montreal's cold, snow and ice, I would be very surprised that there would be reliable operations using a third rail. Some of Ottawa's issues have been directly related to extreme winter weather even with overhead catenary.

I would also be surprised if they didn't go with 3rd rail to minimize visual impacts.
Ye, there is genuinely no way in hell they're doing 3rd rail. They have outright said they will be using the same rolling stock as REM A, which is pantograph.

They have outright said they will be using the same rolling stock as REM A, which is pantograph.
I doubt they'll use third rail. But why are you claiming they have said they'll be using the same rolling stock, when it's been pointed out already that they've said no such thing.

(if I'm wrong, provide a link please)

Back