Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Phase two should extend the Ontario Line from the Science Center to Don Mills on the Sheppard Line and from Exhibition up to Dundas West Station and maybe even link up with the Eglinton LRT at Mount Dennis
The west-end extension will be pretty well covered by the GO RER Kitchener and Barrie lines. The OL would probably want to get further west before going North

The numbers Metrolinx provided suggest that the Richmond Hill Line will be faster than Line 1 if you're taking it to destinations South of Queen Street, meanwhile destinations north of that will be faster with just Line 1. Queen Station itself is a tie. I have written several long essays on this thread about all of the problems with "replacing YNSE with GO improvements" and I frankly don't want to do that again, but in short, it will help divert some traffic, but its not a silver bullet.

However in the context of Richmond Hill Line being used to supplement Line 1 and the YNSE, really it depends on A) Getting access to the North Toronto Sub, and B) Reconverting the Don Mills Trail back to Rail (good luck with that). Get both of those things done and you're free to electrify it and turn the line to something that could be pretty useful as an express service between RHC and Union.
They need that for trains to be able to pass? That section through bond park was pretty slow before it was abandoned. Not sure if they can make it faster. If you double the bridge over the DVP you could double track the line from Cummer all the way to Union.

57722383.jpg

This is dumb. I guess York Region is forking over the money then. It'd be even dumber if the province was paying for this out of pocket.

lol so they are adding Royal Orchard but not Cummer? Dumb.
I'll be frank when I say this, I think this announcement made me more confident that Cummer will happen. Now the details are a bit vague, and unfortunately we don't know who's paying for this - York Region, or Toronto. Now, since this station is confirmed, I think we can expect Toronto to start doubling down on their attempt to build Cummer station, and trying to find the money to do this. At 100 million, this is definitely they cheapest shot at getting a new station they could ever ask for.

Now the details are a bit vague, and unfortunately we don't know who's paying for this - York Region, or Toronto.
Are you referring to Royal Orchard or Cummer? Because the letter is very clear: the province is picking up all the costs for Royal Orchard.

I appreciate transit, but it’s galling that we take our dollars and then waste it. If the government knew that it was going to throw York Region an election gift, it should have stuck to its guns and not deepened the line. Now we’ll have an expensive station as well.

Bet you no such gift will come Toronto’s way: it’ll have to pay for Cummer.

Are you referring to Royal Orchard or Cummer? Because the letter is very clear: the province is picking up all the costs for Royal Orchard.

I appreciate transit, but it’s galling that we take our dollars and then waste it. If the government knew that it was going to throw York Region an election gift, it should have stuck to its guns and not deepened the line. Now we’ll have an expensive station as well.
Now that's interesting, where have you come across this info? I don't think this document has stated where the money is coming from.

Bet you no such gift will come Toronto’s way: it’ll have to pay for Cummer.

Actually, I think what's clear from the letter is that the development of the transit-oriented community (at Royal Orchard and/or in concert with the larger developments to the north) are what is providing the extra cash to pay for the station.
And you're also wrong about Cummer because if that happens, it will also be provided outside the existing funding envelope, through transit-oriented development. It's, like, the entire point of the program.
Royal Orchard already has at least one prime development site they can leverage, so maybe that's why it's confirmed (along with the politics of appeasing residents) but Cummer already has active developments so it may be harder to find a nice spot from which to leverage funding.

It's literally in black and white (and I've added yellow):
1642191214382.png

Back