Toronto 83 Bloor West | 269.05m | 82s | Parallax | Arcadis

i don't know. it looks pretty ugly to me. It meets the street nicely but i don't like the residence lobby being on bloor street, it's going to kill that little area. The retail that is offered in that podium sees small and oddly shaped. Also, far too many studio units in there.

You should Start a thread for a running list of 150m+ buildings! I’m sure the UT community could keep better track than SSP, Wikipedia or Emporis which all seem to be inconsistent
Thanks, Pinski. I got help from a poster named Koops65 a while back, and he gave me links; and I use the Skyscraper Page Toronto stats now that I know how it works. They update immediately when a new tower is being built, u/c or proposed. It's an excellent site. The 100 metre page list is already at the top of the Buildings section. Maybe I can just post a comment and update it from now on?

You should Start a thread for a running list of 150m+ buildings! I’m sure the UT community could keep better track than SSP, Wikipedia or Emporis which all seem to be inconsistent
I have quite a bit of wiki editing experience and recently updated the 150m list there as well. Only did new buildings that are complete or topped out but that list should be up to date.

Proposed and U/C I havent touched yet but hope to eventually as well as add photos of all the projects.

i don't know. it looks pretty ugly to me. It meets the street nicely but i don't like the residence lobby being on bloor street, it's going to kill that little area. The retail that is offered in that podium sees small and oddly shaped. Also, far too many studio units in there.

The city should mandate retail here along Bloor Street. To gut one of the city's most successful retail areas of retail is antithetical to the city's economic vitality and will make the area less walkable and pedestrian friendly.

The city should mandate retail here along Bloor Street. To gut one of the city's most successful retail areas of retail is antithetical to the city's economic vitality and will make the area less walkable and pedestrian friendly.
Agreed - I can't imagine why the developer didn't make that a priority. Retail lease premiums on this stretch of Bloor would make it a very attractive space for a potential tenant. Perhaps the clout of entering the building from Bloor to one of the 1,118 shoebox units makes up for it from the developers standpoint to leverage interest in the building.

I have quite a bit of wiki editing experience and recently updated the 150m list there as well. Only did new buildings that are complete or topped out but that list should be up to date.

Proposed and U/C I havent touched yet but hope to eventually as well as add photos of all the projects.
Just so everyone knows, we are preparing to replace our outdated 100 metre list with an automatically updated one that draws data from our database software. Coming soon… ish!

Just so everyone knows, we are preparing to replace our outdated 100 metre list with an automatically updated one that draws data from our database software. Coming soon… ish!

Yes, yes, but what are you doing to wield your fearsome powers to rid us of spandrel and build megaltalls everywhere?? 🤪

Thanks. I appreciate the tip. I'll keep an eye out for a posting on that tower. There have been several 150+ skyscraper proposals just in the last few weeks alone. It's amazing. There are now 116 Built and U/C 150 metre + plus towers, and also 147 now proposed. That comes to 263 total. I know things can change and they're not all guaranteed and will take years to build if they're approved. But even if some don't get built there are always new proposals being added. It's obvious that as long as things generally keep going the way they are that eventually, our skyline is going to become mega huge. We're now just 20 Built and U/C 150 metre + towers behind Chicago who have 136 150 metre + Built and U/C. 😃
About 95 % or more of them will get built because the Golden Horseshoe area promotes 80% condos to 20% homes ratio. To preserve the lands in South Central Ontario from being developed. And because of this the Golden Horseshoe will definitely beat Chicagoland in skyscrapers plus population. Letting in more than 200 thousand people in a year. Maybe having the Greater Golden Horseshoe region's 10.180.000 census surpass Chicagoland according to Wikipedia 2020 stats. And to continue growing close to 15 million by 2040. YES TORONTO IS ON ITS WAY TO BECOME A SKYSCRAPER HAVEN LIKE NEWYORK CITY!

About 95 % or more of them will get built because the Golden Horseshoe area promotes 80% condos to 20% homes ratio. To preserve the lands in South Central Ontario from being developed. And because of this the Golden Horseshoe will definitely beat Chicagoland in skyscrapers plus population. Letting in more than 200 thousand people in a year. Having the Greater Golden Horseshoe region's 10.180.000 census surpass Chicagoland according to Wikipedia 2020 stats. And to continue growing close to 15 million by 2040. YES TORONTO IS ON ITS WAY TO BECOME A SKYSCRAPER HAVEN LIKE NEWYORK CITY!
Those are all excellent points, thank you. I know we've seen new proposals for tall towers in places like Barrie, Hamilton, and others as well. Not to mention all the 1's going up in Mississauga and Vaughan. Protecting the Greenbelt is supposed to be a priority, too. I am excited and keeping track of the 150 metre + towers going up this year in TO. As I've said, we're behind the city of Chicago with 116 Build and U/C to their 136. I'm hoping that we'll pull ahead by the end of the year. But it's going to happen at some point soon.😃

Those are all excellent points, thank you. I know we've seen new proposals for tall towers in places like Barrie, Hamilton, and others as well. Not to mention all the 1's going up in Mississauga and Vaughan. Protecting the Greenbelt is supposed to be a priority, too. I am excited and keeping track of the 150 metre + towers going up this year in TO. As I've said, we're behind the city of Chicago with 116 Build and U/C to their 136. I'm hoping that we'll pull ahead by the end of the year. But it's going to happen at some point soon.😃
It takes time to build skyscrapers but the need will always be there. The city of Toronto already has over a total of 2.680 highrises, skyscrapers buildings built compared to Chicago's 1.250. And that's not included what under construction and proposed which brings the total over 3.400 wow! Compare to Chicago's 1.270 on skyscraperpage's info data section . Check out Toronto's Skyscraperpage illustrations and stats as well as other cities since your interested! Koops illustrates most or all of them!

It takes time to build skyscrapers but the need will always be there. The city of Toronto already has over a total of 2.680 highrises, skyscrapers buildings built compared to Chicago's 1.250. And that's not included what under construction and proposed which brings the total over 3.400 wow! Compare to Chicago's 1.270 on skyscraperpage's info data section . Check out Toronto's Skyscraperpage illustrations and stats as well as other cities since your interested! Koops illustrates most or all of them!
Thanks, that's amazing. I'll do that. I'm kind of a newish fan of skyscrapers, but I'm catching up. 😃

Thanks, that's amazing. I'll do that. I'm kind of a newish fan of skyscrapers, but I'm catching up. 😃

As stated above, Toronto has far more 'high-rises' (12m+) than Chicago but it's also true that Chicago has more at the top end. So we still trail when looking at 100m+ buildings and 200m+ buildings. It's why their skyline still looks more imposing while our city seems to have more 'meat' to it. But yes, Toronto will zoom ahead of Chicago by those taller measures too. It's more a matter of 'when' than 'if'. City of Toronto in BLUE and the City of Chicago in RED.

Buildings 100m+
Built: 302 vs 339
U/C: 105 vs 7
Proposed: 393 vs 19
TOTAL:
800 vs 365

Buildings 200m+
Built: 24 vs 34
U/C: 10 vs 4
Proposed: 45 vs 6
TOTAL: 79 vs 44

Last edited:
As stated above, Toronto has far more 'high-rises' than Chicago but it's also true that Chicago has more at top end. So we still trail when looking at 100m+ buildings and 200m+ buildings. It's why their skyline still looks more imposing while ours seems to have more 'meat' to it. But yes, Toronto will zoom ahead of Chicago by those measures too. It's more a matter of 'when' than 'if'. City of Toronto in BLUE and the City of Chicago in RED.

Buildings 100m+
Built: 302 vs 339
U/C: 105 vs 7
Proposed: 393 vs 19
TOTAL:
800 vs 365

Buildings 200m+
Built: 24 vs 34
U/C: 10 vs 4
Proposed: 45 vs 6
TOTAL: 79 vs 44
Thanks for this. Yes, it's obvious it's only a matter of time till we pass Chicago. 😃

Back